unRAID Project Roadmap Announcements

Don't worry guys, all those core functionality pieces that have been pushed to the next version are relatively simple and quick to implement. Or so it's been said previously by various LimeTech representatives.

But that is the thing....if it's simple and quick to implement why has it not been included by now.
  • Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree that UnMenu adds some very nice features => I suspect the existence of those is a good bit of the reason why there's been a lack of focus on getting some of the core features incorporated directly into UnRAID.    But it IS a NAS ... and should have those core features embedded without the need for any other add-ons.

LimeTech shouldn't depend on whether or not Joe has time to keep UnMenu up-to-date with the latest UnRAID release ... and users shouldn't have to learn about and install an add-on to incorporate basic NAS features like UPS support and e-mail notifications.

Don't worry guys, all those core functionality pieces that have been pushed to the next version are relatively simple and quick to implement. Or so it's been said previously by various LimeTech representatives.

But that is the thing....if it's simple and quick to implement why has it not been included by now.

Word.  It would be great to attack all the features that have been promised for years low hanging fruit that's simple and quick to implement.  Or, better yet, in order of importance:

1. Security updates & bug fixes

2. Glaring omissions of core functionality

3. Enhancements to existing functionality

4. New (arguably unrelated-to-core) experimental features

But that's just me.

I never said any features were getting postponed for sure. I simply said if something did, there were a few things that were more likely than others and notifications was one of them.  That's all I'm going to say for now.  I think bunch of folks in here aren't going to have much to complain about soon...

... you guys are in for some real treats this week ;-).

...  folks in here aren't going to have much to complain about soon...

Taken together, these certainly whet the appetite for what's coming SOON  :) :)

You have no flipping idea how hard it is for me to keep my tongue bit right now!!

I can tell you that I, and the other mods are always lobbying for basic and enhanced core features NAS features.

That being said, integration of rsyslog 'could' provide an ability to send notifications in one or more manners that can be programmed or plugged in.  Not that I have more news then you think. I don't. 

However, Look at the feature set of rsyslog and you can see what can be done with it.

Years ago I had co-processes in syslog-ng that would send alerts via php,http,email and special TCP messages to a Roku soundbridge.

I could even run programs that would auto-deny hacker attempts at my ssh daemon.

I think there is more to come.

... you guys are in for some real treats this week ;-).

...  folks in here aren't going to have much to complain about soon...

Taken together, these certainly whet the appetite for what's coming SOON  :) :)

You have no flipping idea how hard it is for me to keep my tongue bit right now!!

If this is not a call for cheers, noise and excitement.. then my english is worse than I thought.

As I said, the users are only doing what they are trained to do.

Bad attention, is still better than no attention.

/Rene