Madsonic Docker container

Oh boy...it's back  :-\

docker run -d -p 4040:4040 --name="madsonic" -v /mnt/user/Music:/Music -v /mnt/user/Movies:/Movies -v /mnt/cache/madsonicdata:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro binhex/arch-madsonic
Unable to find image 'binhex/arch-madsonic' locally
Pulling repository binhex/arch-madsonic
2014/09/25 09:33:52 Get https://index.docker.io/v1/repositories/binhex/arch-madsonic/images: dial tcp: lookup index.docker.io: file exists

No amount of new docker.img creation or permission fixing is solving it this time.

docker images
REPOSITORY          TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             VIRTUAL SIZE

I had it working once on /mnt/user and decided to install a cache drive, since madsonic kept the array disc spun up all the time.

Nothing else at all changed.

I see nobody else reporting this, so I suspect it's my set up, maybe I should post this somewhere else? But since it's specific to Docker.......

All the same, any new directions appreciated.

Dan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, a gave up on the dockerman gui attempt to install it and went with putty and typing. worked fine at the 3rd attempt (my own fault - just hammering away, dropping a slash here and a letter there). wonder why it would not work doing the same config in dockerman! - anyway, once i was up and running (kind of), i got kicked out while doing the setup stuff for no reasons. went to madsonic website and found sth along the lines .last.fm-cache not created by the 5.1 final installer in your madsonic directory - had a look and yup, not there. supposedly that causes all kind of crashes if not there. went to mkdir it manually. all seems to come along nicely so far since. as i start really from scratch for comparison purposes i am still  in the middle of setting things up, we will see. my biggest issue with the 5b2 was actually speed (gui often and the unbelievable slowness of a file rescan -2days!!!). hope that is somehow solved. i shall report more as i getting ahead here.

thx again to binhex and pinion! a) for fast and b) very helpful responses, you cut my frustration in half ;)

Cheers, L

edit: same was true for the /thumbs directory in /config - had to create that manually as well.

docker run -d -p 4040:4040 --name="madsonic" -v /mnt/user/Music:/Music -v /mnt/user/Movies:/Movies -v /mnt/cache/madsonicdata:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro binhex/arch-madsonic
Unable to find image 'binhex/arch-madsonic' locally
Pulling repository binhex/arch-madsonic
2014/09/25 09:33:52 Get https://index.docker.io/v1/repositories/binhex/arch-madsonic/images: dial tcp: lookup index.docker.io: file exists

Fixed!

It appears to be a DNS error. Changed DNS, all good  :D

Pulling Madsonic now.

48 hours to figure that out....

So so silly.

No media folders found.

Please change the settings.

is what i get now in the binhex-madsonic gui. everything else is working fine  ::)

guess i have to play a little more with the media folder settings  :'(

so far i just took them from botez version over to it.

well, that will be solved also, at least madsonic itself is running for now :)

cheers, L

Why do you need them both running?

i don't need them both running - just one at the time and figure out which one works better ;)

at the moment it does not matter - like the botez version is working. none of the others does!

i am going slowly up the wall here. trying to figure out why the folders are not seen.

just getting majorly pissed. i need the botez install running at the moment - because it works  8)

i like to get yours or binhex's to work - cause i have issues with botez' - which might be solved by yours or binhex's version.

i wanna see that before i switch.

at the moment it seems like whatever version i try - it will not see my folders.

i am kinda cautious this days - having friends on the server. just dont want a 'upgrade' - leading to a 3 day downtime due to a folderscan. which wouldn't be happen at the moment anyway - since the media folders are not recognized...

to bring it down to my main issues at this point - the response of the gui is sub-optimal and what sucks even more is the time of a rescan. my last folder rescan took just under 39hrs! that's unacceptable!

i am looking for improvements.

considering my issue with with media folders not found in binhex and pinion options... i need the working botez option still, don't I? ;)

i actually tried  in the meantime the deactivate botez-madsonic completely and just run unmodified binhex-madsonic. same friggin result! "No media folders found.

Please change the settings." in the header bar, behind every folder i try to create in settings i get a "folder not found" comment. kinda on the end of my (limited) knowledge here. it was/ still is all fine with 5.1.4800.beta2. i was really hyped about 5.1final. especially reading stuff like faster, smoother, better. at the moment it is faster (yes, but i cant get media running), smoother, yep... with 2.5promille in my head i can enjoy a system without media :/ , better... might be - still to be seen.

as i said, i tried 'unmodified' in the meantime - same result. i get the actual madsonic up and running. all good, i can change/ adjust/ modify everything - no prob. i just get this folder not found issue.

let me ask you a question here - being the semi-noob idiot.

i tried all kind of variations at this point for the /media setting - from /mnt/user over /mnt/user/<sharename>, ... deeper drilling down the tree - all to the same result. tried the same with settings like boohbah's - to music and movie instead of media.... all leading to the same result. considering that i had to mkdir .last.fm-cache/ and thumbs/ manually anyway in order to get madsonic up and running in the first place... do i have to create /media as well somewhere???? i tried a couple places allready, with no positive result. got rid of them as well again, since it was a no go.

basically my /mnt/user goes /mnt/user/<sharename>/music/A ... /B... /C... -... /movies/A... /B ... /C - i tried all kind of path options so far, even outlandish ones with no go. basically i would think when /mnt/user:/media it should be /<sharename>/music/folder in settings-madsonic. i tried also there all kind of unlikely stuff - always leading to 'folder not found'

what do i do wrong? :(

is there a rw setting i miss?.....

any help would be appreciated!

cheers, L

Hi Lars I think you need to better understand the v switch in docker, basically it's split into host part, this is the path on the left of the colon, then there is the docker side which is the path on the right. The path on the left is easy, this is simply the path to what you wish to share with the docker container e.g. /mnt/user/Music. The right hand side is the root folder created within the docker that you use with the app to access the media from your host e.g. /Music

So the whole thing would look like this -v /mnt/user/Music:/Music

You can of course be lazy and simply share the whole of your array by simply specifying /mnt:/mnt I hope this helps.

Hi Lars I think you need to better understand the v switch in docker, basically it's split into host part, this is the path on the left of the colon, then there is the docker side which is the path on the right. The path on the left is easy, this is simply the path to what you wish to share with the docker container e.g. /mnt/user/Music. The right hand side is the root folder created within the docker that you use with the app to access the media from your host e.g. /Music

You can of course be lazy and simply share the whole of your array by simply specifying /mnt:/mnt I hope this helps.

sorry wasn't really clear there before. what i used initially was:

docker run -d -p 4041:4040 -p 4051:4050 --name=madsonic-binhex -v /mnt/user/LFI/Music:/Music -v /mnt/cache/appdata/madsonic-binhex/:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro binhex/arch-madsonic

that led for whatever reason in madsonic with any variation to media folder not found, next i went up one level to just /mnt/user/LFI:/Music same result with all kind of tries... and so on.

now i went for the /mnt:/mnt and it works. not my favorite solution, but hey suddenly madsonic can find my media folders, just had to adjust the path in madsonic accordingly.

thx for the help!!! didnt even came to my mind before to try that!

having a happy Lars now  ;)

still wondering what the issue was with the other path variations....

anyway, it is working

cheers, L

docker run -d -p 4041:4040 -p 4051:4050 --name=madsonic-binhex -v /mnt/user/LFI/Music:/Music -v /mnt/cache/appdata/madsonic-binhex/:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro binhex/arch-madsonic

that led for whatever reason in madsonic with any variation to media folder not found, next i went up one level to just /mnt/user/LFI:/Music same result with all kind of tries... and so on.

now i went for the /mnt:/mnt and it works. not my favorite solution, but hey suddenly madsonic can find my media folders, just had to adjust the path in madsonic accordingly.

anyway, it is working

cheers, L

Working off your first example (-v /mnt/user/LFI/Music:/Music)

if under /mnt/user/LFI/Music you had:

/mnt/user/LFI/Music/artist1
/mnt/user/LFI/Music/artist2
/mnt/user/LFI/Music/artist3

Within the madsonic docker what madsonic will think the directory structure is like is:

/Music/artist1
/Music/artist2
/Music/artist3

So in this case in the gui you'd just share /Music to madsonic and it should pick up everything.

Also, I hope you're changing your config directory for each different version you're trying to run or they will all step on each others toes.

anyway, it is working

cheers, L

Working off your first example (-v /mnt/user/LFI/Music:/Music)

if under /mnt/user/LFI/Music you had:

/mnt/user/LFI/Music/artist1
/mnt/user/LFI/Music/artist2
/mnt/user/LFI/Music/artist3

Within the madsonic docker what madsonic will think the directory structure is like is:

/Music/artist1
/Music/artist2
/Music/artist3

So in this case in the gui you'd just share /Music to madsonic and it should pick up everything.

Also, I hope you're changing your config directory for each different version you're trying to run or they will all step on each others toes.

that was my thought as well, but it didn't. don't ask me why! right now i have it running with /mnt:/mnt - fine for the moment. it bothers me as well, why it wont see the other options. i will investigate further on that with a new container. so far i established that 5.1 is running a lot faster in the gui daily use events (i assume it's based on additional/ optimized caches for the gui) and also a full database scan went down from about 40hrs to roughly 12hrs. that is still insane compared to my old scan times of about 3hrs running subsonic as .plg - but it is doable, considering i do that once a week.

thx anyway for the knowledge sharing. i will take your advice as a guideline again for the next experiments!  ;D

hope i get that to work at one point as well. /mnt:/mnt does not strike me as an outrageously clever idea to begin with + i could see (just the layman's way of thinking!) that shorter path leads to shorter scan times  ::) - i do not wanna go into my logic behind that rite now, fearing to get a digital beating  ;D

cheers, L

I dont want to go OT but the thread is labeled "Subsonic / Madsonic" and from what I can read they are not really interchangeable anymore. i.e. dbase server side  and clients may or may not work on both.

Can anyone clarify for those of us not up to speed on  "Subsonic / Madsonic"?

ta

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst technically correct 4040 is HTTP

PORT    STATE SERVICE  VERSION

4040/tcp open  http    Jetty 8.y.z-SNAPSHOT

4050/tcp open  ssl/http Jetty 8.y.z-SNAPSHOT

Whenever i point to 4040 it automatically redirects to 4050, this happens no matter what the browser/system.

Does anyone else experience this?

-Brett

as quoted HTTP by default it redirect you to https. I am not familiar enough with madsonic to know to reconfigure this.

OK after a bit of reading it looks like if the port for https is defined then it will auto redirect http requests to https. So my Action plan will be to use an env variable in the docker container to trigger whether to use https and thus edit the madsonic config to define port or not.