Madsonic Docker container

ok after a fair bit of messing around with bash scripts and sed, i settled on modifying the flags sent to madsonic to define the port to use, either specifying http or https, this seems to work well and is a little bit tidier, in as much as im not directly modifying the madsonic.sh script, so any future changes to this wont cause breakage.

if your using dockerman (docker manager built into unraid) and using my templates repo then please "update info" then re-download the default template for madsonic, define and make sure to choose "yes" or "no" to enable ssl (env variable).

if your doing this via cli then please follow the instructions here:- https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/binhex/arch-madsonic/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deleted everything but the image and started again by adding the template etc. No joy. Then realised i hadnt updated. Done that. Still not joy.

No matter what I do I get SSL even though I can see -e SSL="no" being passed.

I thought it might be browser caching but even wget shows two 302 redirects.

Still a good chance I am being a moron though will wait for other feedback.

Deleted everything but the image and started again by adding the template etc. No joy. Then realised i hadnt updated. Done that. Still not joy.

you will need to delete container AND image, and any user define template (if using dockerman), then reload info in dockerman, click on the + and add in the default template for madsonic, define values and apply.

ive tested this both with ssl set to yes and no and it works for me :-).

you will need to delete container AND image, and any user define template (if using dockerman), then reload info in dockerman, click on the + and add in the default template for madsonic, define values and apply.

:( another 1.8GB download then.

:( another 1.8GB download then.

im afraid so, the scripts were changed and these are included in the image, ive slimmed down the dockerfile as much as possible, flattening run commands, stripping out manuals etc, any suggestions on reducing size further most welcome :-), other than switching to phusion of course hehe.

edit - size is now 1GB btw not 1.8GB

And it works perfectly.  8)

The only free IOS client SubStream connects perfectly via HTTP (and is a useful test) but the audio quality is really rather bad. The web client quality is native and excellent.

It is a pity there are no other free clients that can show the quality off but are crippled in some other way a.k.a track count.

Nice work.

I have a few suggestions but a question first. As far as I can tell madsonic only needs RO access to media. Is that correct as I like how much safer that feels.

As far as I can tell madsonic only needs RO access to media. Is that correct as I like how much safer that feels.

As far as i know, yes RO should suffice, i could alter the docker template to reflect this for the media volume, sound good?.

As for media quality this has to be an issue with the app your using, im using the official madsonic app and quality is perfect, no transcoding is going on for me, infact i can say hand on heart madsonic beats plex for streaming music, i def can hear a reduction in quality when playing music through plex app.

hit me with the suggestions  8)

Superb, that matches with what I was thinking. I dont mind spending money but madsonic is part of a process for me to drop IOS and move to android so I am not there yet.

My suggestions pretty much marry up with what you already said. To make this work I had to change the default music share in madsonic web gui to match "/media" we set in docker. This could be confusing to new users and if it can be RO even better.

On a similar note I think we need to export some more volumes

e.g

/var/media/incoming

/var/media/playlists/import

/var/media/playlists/backup

/var/media/podcast

are all defaults within the container.

It would also be cool if we generated an non default admin password on first boot just in case someone does something crazy (especially since it can use uPnP)

Nice work

My suggestions pretty much marry up with what you already said. To make this work I had to change the default music share in madsonic web gui to match "/media" we set in docker. This could be confusing to new users and if it can be RO even better.

On a similar note I think we need to export some more volumes

e.g

/var/media/incoming

/var/media/playlists/import

/var/media/playlists/backup

/var/media/podcast

the above is now all done, please delete container and image and re-pull down to see changes.

@NAS - the only suggestion i struggled with was random password change, i can easily enough generate a random password but there is no flag to set this, so im assuming its written to the db somewhere, not sure i want to go messing with this, maybe i will take a look at this some other time :-)

edit - modified transcode directory, not a good move, switched back, please wait until build complete, should be done shortly.

Excellent work binhex. I'm moving things over from the old Arch VM and this worked very well. The only issue I'm having is getting access from the Internet. It is accessible fine locally (using NO SSL) via port 4040. I've forwarded port 4040 on my router to the Unraid IP but I just get timeouts trying to connect externally (even the XXX.subsonic.org forwarder gives a ConnectTimeout).

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Excellent work binhex. I'm moving things over from the old Arch VM and this worked very well. The only issue I'm having is getting access from the Internet. It is accessible fine locally (using NO SSL) via port 4040. I've forwarded port 4040 on my router to the Unraid IP but I just get timeouts trying to connect externally (even the XXX.subsonic.org forwarder gives a ConnectTimeout).

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Hi loch, my only thought is that you specified a different port on the host side, as in the port number on the left of the colon is not 4040, if this is true then you will need to specify your custom port as the port to forward to.

Nice work. Worth pointing out a couple of things, this is a beta:

Server 5.2.5250  BETA1  10/25/2014

New Customizable Madsonic Admin-Panel

New Support for offline files & playlist autorecover

New new video search index - new video search result group

New optimize search suggestion will typing

Bugfix Album siblings not visible

Bugfix video files on search result not browsable

Bugfix user password-change save wrong secure type

Bugfix video files on search result not browsable

Bugfix optimize query - split mod/audio files setting

Bugfix cleanup old transcoder from windows installer

Bugfix exception if script parameter have trailing slash

Bugfix fix some theme issues with firefox

Bugfix double name with artist-cover search

Bugfix wrong colspan on podcastviewer

Bugfix wrong colspan on playercontrols

Bugfix optimize playlist backup

Bugfix optimize tag parsing

Bugfix Upgrade ffmpeg versions

not that anyone will care but they should know. Also we need to find some way to do docker change logs. You git commits are excellent so perhaps one of githubs commit diff views.

• 2 weeks later...

new build released, this is madsonic 5.2 build 5300 beta 1, changelog:-

New add Top-Tracks to Artistview

Bugfix add option to Madsonic booter to turn off GZIP compression (Synology)

Bugfix change Madsonic booter to use older Spring version (XML Bug)

Bugfix update Madsonic booter scripts

Bugfix fix overlapping Playlist on playQueue

Bugfix add bootstrap support

Bugfix add fontawesome support

Bugfix upgrade ffmpeg versions

go grab it!.

• 3 weeks later...

binhex- updated madsonic couple of days ago and I have trouble using https. Previously I was using only https to stream outside home and I see an error in madsonic script, probably during startup of https. Error:

--------------------

root@localhost:# /usr/bin/docker logs --tail=350 madsonic

2014-11-27 00:25:07,418 CRIT Set uid to user 0

2014-11-27 00:25:07,440 WARN Included extra file "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/madsonic.conf" during parsing

2014-11-27 00:25:07,470 INFO supervisord started with pid 1

2014-11-27 00:25:08,473 INFO spawned: 'start' with pid 8

2014-11-27 00:25:09,475 INFO success: start entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)

2014-11-27 00:25:09,776 DEBG 'start' stderr output:

/var/madsonic/start.sh: line 15: [: ==: unary operator expected

/var/madsonic/start.sh: line 19: [: ==: unary operator expected

2014-11-27 00:25:09,776 DEBG 'start' stdout output:

SSL not defined, defaulting to disabled

-----------

I can access using http and not using https

new build released, this is madsonic 5.2 build 5300 beta 1, changelog:-

New add Top-Tracks to Artistview

Bugfix add option to Madsonic booter to turn off GZIP compression (Synology)

Bugfix change Madsonic booter to use older Spring version (XML Bug)

Bugfix update Madsonic booter scripts

Bugfix fix overlapping Playlist on playQueue

Bugfix add bootstrap support

Bugfix add fontawesome support

Bugfix upgrade ffmpeg versions

go grab it!.

hi htpcnewbie, are you specifying SSL=yes as an environment variable?, if not it will default to SSL=no, as can be seen from the log you posted:-

SSL not defined, defaulting to disabled

so if your using dockerman (built in webui in unraid) then when adding the docker, at the bottom there should be an environment variable that you can set, if your doing it via cli then specify it there using the -e flag, e.g. -e SSL="yes"

/var/madsonic/start.sh: line 15: [: ==: unary operator expected

this is a bug, now fixed in the latest build, it shouldnt however of affected you running/not running ssl.

• 2 weeks later...

new build, and this one is a biggie!, now up to build 5420, (beta 2), changelog:-

Server 5.2.5400  BETA2  12/12/2014

New native Madsonic OSX-Installer is back

Bugfix fixed classpath on import of Avatars

Bugfix fixed Madsonic Booter to work on OSX

Bugfix fixed default path for OSX

Bugfix fixed Safari theme issues

Server 5.2.5400  BETA2  12/12/2014

New HomeController supports CoverartSchema size

New smother & faster Cover-System

New dynamical Cover-Controls

New Video Thumbnail Preview-System

New Playlist Tag-Editor