[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade for Plex - Core 2 Quad?

tdallen

Hi -

My newly built unRAID server is running on some old but solid hardware.  I'm using an old Asus P5B with a Core 2 Duo E6400 at 2.13GHz.  For basic unRAID server tasks it is more than adequate.  It's also doing fine serving up 480p content via Plex to several Plex clients.

All the information out there, though, says that it will bog down trying to transcode 720p or 1080p content (I haven't tried yet).  Obviously a gut and rebuild option to an i5 would work, but that means a new motherboard, memory, processor, etc.  For an in-place upgrade, my motherboard supports up to a Core 2 Quad Q6700 at 2.66GHz or Core 2 Extreme QX6800 at 2.93GHz.  Aside from the additional power draw, this seems like a decent option - I'd go from a Passmark score of 1281 to 3300+.  They're reasonably available on eBay.

Are you folks still using the old Core 2 Quads in your servers for unRAID + Plex?  I really only need to transcode 1 or at most 2 streams at a time, but I'd like to be able to handle anything to anything for that stream - i.e., any 1080p or less content to any 1080p or less device.

Thanks

A q9400 can be had cheap, its less heat and better on your power usage. Even a q8200 would rock and your motherboard supports them fine. Why bother with 65nm tech when the 45nm tech has improvements on all fronts and is about the same price. I was thinking of using my modded 771 to 775 though stability and data corruption is something i dont wanna mess with.  Picking up a dam System X3550 server today for only $50 which i already have a e5410 to go into already has daul e5320's. Point is way bother saving a few extra dollars on a 65nm home heater when for a few more your going to have something nice.

Interesting you say that.  There are a number of CPUs that are listed as compatible with the P5B, but with the note "beta support FSB1333 CPU".  All the fully supported chips are 1066 FSB parts.  I'm not sure how it will do trying to run with a 1333 FSB, but there are certainly some nice CPUs out there if that would safely work.

Hmm, interesting and a little scary.  Could save over $100 on a Q9650 class CPU, though... I'll look at this a little closer.  I wonder why the Xeon's are so much cheaper now?  I'm pretty sure they were more expensive than the quads on release.

I'm also concerned about power usage, I have a Kill-a-watt being delivered today.

Wow, are you me? I'm considering the same stuff!

2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo in a Socket 775 system - transcoding for Plex is where the age is starting to show. I've been trying to decide if a Core 2 Quad, modding a Socket 771 Xeon is right, or just holding out for another year and replacing the entire motherboard/CPU/RAM. I've still not made any decisions. Keep updating on what you decide and I'll do the same.

I am you!  And I'd like to thank you, my more generous side, for buying that new CPU last night - bill's in the mail! ;D

I picked up a Core 2 Quad Q9550 yesterday (suggested by 2stroke) for $79.95 shipped off eBay.  I could have saved ~$40 by trying the Xeon mod, but I'm looking for stability in my unRAID server more than anything else.  I'm already going to have to push it with a beta BIOS to get support for the 45nm chips and the 1333 fsb on my Asus P5B, so I felt like that was enough.  The Q9xxx series get the same PassMark scores as the compatible Xeons.  I'm hoping ~4,000 PassMark will be enough - I'll let you know.

I hate throwing away perfectly good hardware, so hopefully this extends my LGA775 era hardware for another few years.

Need any RAM?  I've got some small sticks of DDR2 sitting around...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, surgery successful :).

P5B Bios updated to 2104.  Core 2 Duo E6400 upgraded to Core 2 Quad Q9550.  Power usage at idle is no more than 1 watt higher than before, and actually dips under the C2D - I assume because the 45nm Q9550 is running cool and the new CPU fan can run slower.  Together with the video card downgrade I'm actually running 17 watts lower than before - now 69 watts at idle (and that includes a spun up cache disk).

I'm using one of these for the CPU fan, by the way:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200034

It kept the CPU to a max of 61*C under max load.

So, all in, I more than tripled my Passmark score for less than $100 invested and hopefully extended the life of a reliable old box for a few more years.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

I also completed my surgery - I found a Q9650 for $70 on Craigslist.

I attempted to re-use my existing CPU cooler, but one of the pins cracked when reinstalling. Luckily, I have a Fry's nearby and could pick up an LGA 775 compatible cooler in a few minutes. Went with a $20 Coolermaster one. Temps look good - I did a few Handbrake encodes and it peaked about 55°C. I haven't had a chance to test it out with my kill-a-watt to see what the power draw is.

For about $100 I went from 1487 passmarks to a CPU with 4236. That'll buy me another couple of years until I replace the entire cpu/motherboard combo.