hard drive failed

I just had a hard drive fail on my unRAID system. I replaced the drive and now the disk status menu says "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!". It lists both the old model and serial number and the new drive model and serial number for the disk device. A second drive also has a red ball and the command area says that it is Stopped: Invalid configuration. I am running unRAID ver 4.7. I am using SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B Hot-swap SATA HDD Trays and SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI-Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller. I tried unplugging and reconnecting all of the drive cables on the HDD trays and controller cards, reseating the controller cards and even reseating the memory but with no difference. I looked at the log file but I don't understand it so I attached it to this message. I replaced bad drives before but never had this happen.

Any ides what is wrong?

syslog-2014-07-04.txt

I just had a hard drive fail on my unRAID system. I replaced the drive and now the disk status menu says "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!". It lists both the old model and serial number and the new drive model and serial number for the disk device. A second drive also has a red ball

Any ides what is wrong?

Unraid can only rebuild 1 bad drive. If you have 2 drives fail at the same time, you will lose the data on both. Hopefully the drives haven't fully crashed. Try putting the drives back the way they were, and see if it will give you only 1 red ball and let you start the array.

Posting smart reports on all your drives would be a good first step to get the information needed to help you.

Make sure that you didn't loosen a SATA or power cable on another drive when you replaced the bad drive.  This can easily happen when drives are changed as you bump/move both SATA and power cables as the bad drive is being replaced.  (Both SATA and SATA power cables are NOT the most reliable connector design possible!)

I just had a hard drive fail on my unRAID system. I replaced the drive and now the disk status menu says "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!". It lists both the old model and serial number and the new drive model and serial number for the disk device. A second drive also has a red ball

Any ides what is wrong?

Unraid can only rebuild 1 bad drive. If you have 2 drives fail at the same time, you will lose the data on both. Hopefully the drives haven't fully crashed. Try putting the drives back the way they were, and see if it will give you only 1 red ball and let you start the array.

Posting smart reports on all your drives would be a good first step to get the information needed to help you.

Unfortunately the first bad drive I detected was sent back to WD for replacement under warrenty so I can not reinstall it. How can I recover if two drives are bad and need replacement?

How can I recover if two drives are bad and need replacement?
You can't recover your data on those drives using unraid. The best you can do is clear your configuration and rebuild parity from the remaining drives. Since you are in this particular mess, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't upgrade from 4.7 to 5.05 or the latest 6 beta, it will be easier in the long run. Back up your flash drive, delete everything on it, and follow the directions to set up a new unraid install. Copy your license file from your flash backup to the config folder, and boot up with the new unraid. Assign ALL the listed drives to data slots, be sure to keep the parity slot empty. Start the array and browse the disk shares, you should see your current good drives content just fine, you may be able to see the content of the drive listed as currently failed, if so, copy it some place safe. Capture a full syslog, and smart reports on all your drives, and we can advise you on the best course of action from there.

Actually, thinking about this a little more, if the current red ball drive isn't really failed, you might still be able to recover. Since you haven't posted smart reports for your current drives, it's a little premature to start any action right now. Attach smart reports for all the drives currently installed.

Attached is the smart status report.

How can I recover if two drives are bad and need replacement?
You can't recover your data on those drives using unraid. The best you can do is clear your configuration and rebuild parity from the remaining drives. Since you are in this particular mess, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't upgrade from 4.7 to 5.05 or the latest 6 beta, it will be easier in the long run. Back up your flash drive, delete everything on it, and follow the directions to set up a new unraid install. Copy your license file from your flash backup to the config folder, and boot up with the new unraid. Assign ALL the listed drives to data slots, be sure to keep the parity slot empty. Start the array and browse the disk shares, you should see your current good drives content just fine, you may be able to see the content of the drive listed as currently failed, if so, copy it some place safe. Capture a full syslog, and smart reports on all your drives, and we can advise you on the best course of action from there.

Actually, thinking about this a little more, if the current red ball drive isn't really failed, you might still be able to recover. Since you haven't posted smart reports for your current drives, it's a little premature to start any action right now. Attach smart reports for all the drives currently installed.

smart_status_report.txt

First, a red ball indicates a write failed, not that the drive is bad. The drive could be bad to cause the red ball, but not always. If I'm reading the smart reports correctly, it doesn't look to me like the drive is actually bad. If that is the case, then you can force unraid to ignore the red ball and hopefully reconstruct your second drive. There may be file system corruption, but most of the time that is recoverable thanks to the robustness of reiserfs.

In order to accomplish what you need, the commands and actions are specific and unforgiving, so I'm not comfortable telling you exactly what to type. The best thing to do would be email Tom directly and point him to this thread and ask for his help. You will probably be doing a combination of initconfig and mdcmd set invalidslot X to force unraid into the state you need.