AmEx Experience

SSD

I bought a smart phone for my son which he broke 1 week later, and was reminded that Amex offers a 90 day lost/stolen/damage warranty. Pretty nice perk and we're in the process of getting it replaced, along with a better case!

That reminded me that I had an old WD WD20EADS (2T green drive) that had failed and was out of WD warranty. I checked, and thanks to Newegg (they keep receipts forever) and using Amex, I am able to get my purchase price credited. (I much prefer this to getting a 2T refurb!) The original purchase was from Oct 2010.

I highly recommend Amex.

AmEx is BY FAR the best credit card company out there.

A couple of months ago, I had some fraudulent charges on my AmEx the day before I was to leave for Aruba. They offered to send the replacement card to Aruba, but it took 4 days to get there.  I felt "naked" without it.

I bought a smart phone for my son which he broke 1 week later, and was reminded that Amex offers a 90 day lost/stolen/damage warranty. Pretty nice perk and we're in the process of getting it replaced, along with a better case!

That reminded me that I had an old WD WD20EADS (2T green drive) that had failed and was out of WD warranty. I checked, and thanks to Newegg (they keep receipts forever) and using Amex, I am able to get my purchase price credited. (I much prefer this to getting a 2T refurb!) The original purchase was from Oct 2010.

I highly recommend Amex.

How/Why did the 4 year old drive get replaced? I understand the 90 day warranty, but how did it cover something as old as the HD?

I also use AmEx almost exclusively (except for the smaller shops that don't support it). I agree it's the best card to carry.

How/Why did the 4 year old drive get replaced? I understand the 90 day warranty, but how did it cover something as old as the HD?

I also use AmEx almost exclusively (except for the smaller shops that don't support it). I agree it's the best card to carry.

It's two different benefits.

The buyer protection protects you from anything for 90 days.

The extended warranty adds an extra year of warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty. So after the 3 year WD warranty expired Amex is providing a 4th year. Amex may choose to repair the item, replace it, or give a refund of the purchase price (most common for smaller purchases).

It's two different benefits.

The buyer protection protects you from anything for 90 days.

The extended warranty adds an extra year of warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty. So after the 3 year WD warranty expired Amex is providing a 4th year. Amex may choose to repair the item, replace it, or give a refund of the purchase price (most common for smaller purchases).

Wow, that's something I was not fully aware of. I'd certainly be using nothing but AmEx for all my storage purchases as well as other items that barely last beyond the manufacturers warranty.

A lot of smaller companies won't deal with amex as they charge the highest interest and pay the slowest.

Sent from a mobile device, sorry for any typos.

And they are sure to not get my business.  I make between 100-150 credit card purchases/payments a month.  I only run into 1, maybe 2, instances where they don't take AmEx.

A lot of smaller companies won't deal with amex as they charge the highest interest and pay the slowest.

Sent from a mobile device, sorry for any typos.

And they are sure to not get my business.  I make between 100-150 credit card purchases/payments a month.  I only run into 1, maybe 2, instances where they don't take AmEx.

I can understand why smaller shops won't take AMEX. I think retailers get dinged 2.5% for Visa/MC, but it's 4.0-4.5% for AMEX.  For a small retailer it's a heavy hit, and realistically there are a lot less AMEX users than MC/Visa so it's not worth their time to get the approval or taking the extra % hit.

I always lead with AMEX, but have Visa as backup for those rare places who won't take it. Thankfully it's a pretty small percentage of companies.

Glad it worked out for you. I've gotten a few things replaced or refunded by amex over the years. Always good to keep copies of receipts and paperwork like warranties for the stuff somewhere or scanned. The extra one year on top of the manufacturer warranty is priceless these days, considering warranty periods keep decreasing on hard drives and on other gadgets.

It's likely going to depend on your preferences as to which card makes the most sense. I have an Aeroplan Platinum as it gets me bonus miles for flights and let's me board planes with the Elite status people.

I think any of the AMEX cards will carry this benefit, but it may be worth double-checking if you find a card that sparks your interest.

Like bkastner said, you need to look at all the options of the cards to determine which card makes the most sense for you.

That being said, the Premier Rewards Gold Card probably gives the best bang for your buck.  It's $175/year, but the rewards will more than pay for it.

I have a similar perk on my BoA Cash Back Visa... used it to get my brand new Nexus 5 repaired. I had thing activated for five minutes, my case was in the mail... and gravity decided to take it from me, cracking the screen and the phone case itself a little. Sadly, it is BoA, so I carry almost no balance due to interest rates they charge. (About to be no balance carried, yay!)