Digitus DS-30104-1 working with unraid?

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I've been using this controller with two WD Green 3TB drives for over a year now. Today I bought a third one, attached it to the controller and started to preclear. I immediately got lots of "Unhandled error code" errors for that drive on my syslog and eventually all drives on that controller dissappeared.

I tried a different drive -> same problem.

Tried different ports -> same problem.

I think I got the Jumpers for internal vs. eSATA right, I double checked with the manual and what's printed on the controller, and I think if it was wrong, the corresponding internal port would not work at all (would it?).

I now have the new drive attached via eSATA (on Motherboard), and the two older drives are still on the controller. The array is working fine, and preclear is running.

So the controller is working with two drives, but not three. Am I missing something here?

Or are there maybe compatibillity issues with my Motherboard (ASUS AT5IONT-I, Intel Atom D525).

Did you do anything special for this controller to work? Are you using it with more than two drives?

Thank you.

The jumpers control whether ports C & D (internal) or E & F (esata) are active.  You say you're currently using you're motherboard's esata port to preclear a drive with no issues.  Try switching the card to use it's external ports and try the preclear.

If that works, then we know the card's chipset is functioning perfectly, and you have either a bad sata port on the card, you power supply is not up to snuff, or you were using bad sata cables.

The jumpers control whether ports C & D (internal) or E & F (esata) are active.  You say you're currently using you're motherboard's esata port to preclear a drive with no issues.  Try switching the card to use it's external ports and try the preclear.

If that works, then we know the card's chipset is functioning perfectly, and you have either a bad sata port on the card, you power supply is not up to snuff, or you were using bad sata cables.

Thank you for your input, but it did not help.

I could use the two older drives on either of the four internal sata ports and the array was working, so I think it's not a broken sata connector on the card. I made sure it's not the power supply or a bad sata cable either.

I still have the same problems when switching the jumpers to external and attaching the new drive there.

The pre-read of the new drive (attached to the motherboards esata) went to 70% without any problems, with the two older drives attached to the digitus card. Then I interrupted it to investigate the problem further.

While trying to locate the problem, one of my older drives got disabled (red ball). SMART has nothing unusual to report, so I think the best is to reconstruct the drive following this procedure, right?:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting#Re-enable_the_drive

After that, I will do a preclear on the new drive via the motherboard's esata port, and then replace the digitus.

I'm still not sure, whether this is a compatibillity issue, or a broken card...

The motherboards manual says, it has a "PCIe 4x slot @ x1 speed, with latch", and the controllers manual says PCIe x2 interface compatible with x4, x8 and x16. Could this introduce the problem? I always thought PCIe could handle these things, but right now I am not sure anymore...

The motherboards manual says, it has a "PCIe 4x slot @ x1 speed, with latch", and the controllers manual says PCIe x2 interface compatible with x4, x8 and x16. Could this introduce the problem? I always thought PCIe could handle these things, but right now I am not sure anymore...

Not quite sure what the "with latch" means but it sounds like your x4 slot is only electrically a x1.  If the controller (x2) doesn't correctly downgrade itself to x1 then there may be problems.  Since your available slot is only an x1 electrically, maybe you'd be best off getting an x1 card.  I know that this works on both v5 and v6  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124027&Tpk=N82E16816124027

Beyond that, I would if possible avoid the card's with jumpers.  It merely adds an extra point of failure to the system, and brings you no benefits if you've already got an esata port on the mobo

Okay, the rebuild went without problems, and my array is green again  :).

I hooked up everything the way it was and attached the new drive via onboard esata. Now I am running a parity check, just to make sure, and preclear the new drive.

After that, I will look for a replacement for the digitus card.

Thank you very much for your help!