[SOLVED] one disk disabled + another one in bad shape

Here I come again with another disk issue, I hope someone can assist me here so I don't have to ask Tom for help :)

My UnRAID has 17 drives (parity + 16 disks) and is running v5.0.5

I got disk12 (Seagate 2TB) marked as disabled (red ball) but it seems to be good (no SMART errors) and at the same time disk2 (Seagate 1.5TB) doesn't look good even when GUI is showing it with a green ball (found this during boot because of a reiserfs error msg. and after running SMART I got Reallocated_Sector_Ct=379, Current_Pending_Sector=19 and Offline_Uncorrectable=19).

The thing is that the only spare disk I have right now is my current disk16 (Seagate 1.5TB) which is part of the array but is totally empty (no data on it)

Is there a way where I can tell UnRAID that I trust my disk12 and them rebuild disk2 (based on parity and assuming it's still good) using my current disk16? (I know after that I will end up 16 drives in my array).

Really appreciate your help, specially today after being beat by Germans 1x7 :(

If your disk2 had data and is questionable I would think your first priority should be to get that data onto a good drive (i.e. disk16).

You could use Midnight Commander to copy/move contents from disk 2 to disk 16. Then you can look at figuring out your parity disk. Try and re-mount it, but if it fails then you can swap in a new parity drive, run New Config from the Utils menu and rebuild parity.

You could try and recover your parity disk first, however I would personally be moving your data while you can. If that disk fails, and you have 2 dead disks you lose that data permanently (unless you have a backup).

If you do a new parity drive you can remove disk 2 from the array, and swap around whatever other disks you want, and then do a new parity build. Just make sure you get a screenshot of your GUI before doing this so you know which is parity, and cache, etc.

Now I think I am even more confused...

I can read data from all disks, including disk2 and disk12.

disk2 is green (but when running SMART I got bad errors, it's likely going to fail if I try to run a parity check or a rebuild - I don't even want to copy its data because I think it will failed and the array will go down with 2 failures)

disk12 is red (DISABLED but SMART report looks good, likelly some cable issues, I believe data here is good and intact)

Just to see if I understood you right:

You recommend I try to copy data from disk2 into disk16 outside UnRAID (invalidating my parity) and them rebuild my parity from scratch. Is that correct? If so, how do I copy the data from disk2 to disk16 using MC? (I never used it before)

Thanks for your assistance, really appreciate it.

Now I think I am even more confused...

I can read data from all disks, including disk2 and disk12.

disk2 is green (but when running SMART I got bad errors, it's likely going to fail if I try to run a parity check or a rebuild - I don't even want to copy its data because I think it will failed and the array will go down with 2 failures)

disk12 is red (DISABLED but SMART report looks good, likelly some cable issues, I believe data here is good and intact)

Just to see if I understood you right:

You recommend I try to copy data from disk2 into disk16 outside UnRAID (invalidating my parity) and them rebuild my parity from scratch. Is that correct? If so, how do I copy the data from disk2 to disk16 using MC? (I never used it before)

Thanks for your assistance, really appreciate it.

You don't need to do it outside of UnRAID. Since only your parity disk is showing bad and your array starts, you can telnet into your UnRAID box (or go to the console) and type MC, which launches Midnight Commander. It will allow you to select disk 2 in the left window and disk 16 in the right and you can then move the data.

Here is a link on MC:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Transferring_Files_Within_the_unRAID_Server

Yes, this will invalidate your parity, which will need to be rebuilt.

Your other option is to try and get your parity drive up and running again, then do a physical disk replacement of disk 2 and let parity rebuild it. The problem here is that since disk 16 is part of your array you can't use it for this. This scenario is based on the assumption you can get your parity mounted again, that the parity information is good, and that it doesn't fail again before your rebuild of disk 2 is complete. Personally I would look at this scenario having too many potential issues to try, especially since if parity fails again, and you have a new disk 2 in the array that hasn't been fully rebuilt then you now have 2 "failed" disks and your array goes offline.

With the first option at least you will get a good copy/move of your disk 2 data, so even if you muck around with your parity disk you are not at risk of losing any data.

You don't need to do it outside of UnRAID. Since only your parity disk is showing bad and your array starts, you can telnet into your UnRAID box (or go to the console) and type MC, which launches Midnight Commander. It will allow you to select disk 2 in the left window and disk 16 in the right and you can then move the data.

My parity disk is OK and has no issues. Problems are with disk2 and disk12.

I think I will try to tell UnRAID that disk12 is good and them I will go for disk2 (first trying to copy data regularly to disk16 and if the disk fails I will buy a new one and try to reconstruct disk2 using parity).

What do you think?

My parity disk is OK and has no issues. Problems are with disk2 and disk12.

I think I will try to tell UnRAID that disk12 is good and them I will go for disk2 (first trying to copy data regularly to disk16 and if the disk fails I will buy a new one and try to reconstruct disk2 using parity).

What do you think?

Sorry... I got it in my head that the parity disk was involved, and just couldn't let it go. :)

If the array is mounting with disk 12 (even though it has some errors) then yes, I would use MC to copy the data from disk 2 to disk 16. Since both disks are in the array, parity will update itself as you move. You can then look to replace disk 12 down the road.

You will also have to look at replacing disk 2 so you don't show a failed disk or else you are in jeopardy if another disk goes. You will either need to buy a new disk and swap it, or run New Config to wipe parity info and create a new array without disk 2.

Hopefully this makes more sense now.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW: Looks like a couple of SATA power cable splits were giving problems...

Server is working fine now. I've cancelled parity check since I was afraid that one of the disks would fail and I currently don't have a spare disk to replace.

I am getting 2 WD Red 2TB and once I get back home I will replace disk2 and run a full parity check (hoping that no other disk will failing during the process).

Thanks for all the assistance!