User Share Exclusions not working!...please help

My Unraid is 4.4.2

Hey All - Unraid has been running perfect recently....until now :(....here is my current unraid setup:

1 500GB disk parity

2 x 500GB disks for my "movies" share - Disk1 and Disk2 set as included disks and Disk3 set to exclude

1 x 500GB disk for my "data" share - I have set Disk3 as included, and Disk1 and 2 as Excluded disks....

here's the problem....the high water mark for my Movies share (disk 1 and 2) reached 50%...i transfer a file onto my user share, and to my suprise the files moved accross to Disk3 which is set as a excluded disk on the share!!!....

What am i doing wrong, i have attached my user share setup if you can see anything wrong!....i need to sort this asap.

Also, since the file has been moved to my excluded disk, is there any reason why i cannot transfer it over to the movie share manually?....it wont harm anything will it?

Thanks

untitled_16.gif

http://f.imagehost.org/view/0033/untitled_16

Also, since the file has been moved to my excluded disk, is there any reason why i cannot transfer it over to the movie share manually?....it wont harm anything will it?

I don't now why it ignored your exclusion rule.  What I *can* say is, there is no problem just moving the file to the right drive and folder.

Did you possibly have a Movies folder on Disk 3?  That still would not justify the wrong copy location, but would help us understand what is wrong.  After moving the file, I would delete the current Movies folder off Disk 3 and reboot, and it should recreate the virtual User Shares without Disk 3.

Following up on RobJ's comment, if a disk has a subdirectory called the same thing as a user share, it is going to be in that user share.  You cannot use exclusions to keep it out.  So if you had a "Movies" directory on disks 1, 2, 3 and 4; and you excluded disk3 from the user share, movies on Disk3 would still show up.  Exclusions, I believe, would stop unRAID from creating the directory on a new disk, but once the directory exists, it seems that exclusions are ignored.

I'd suggest deleteing the user share, then renaming directories on disks you DON'T want to participate, and then recreate the users share and set your exclusions.  Hopefully that will have the desired effect.

Cheers ill give that a shot tonight, i hope it works....

And i think i do remember creating a TEMPORARY "movies" folder on the root of DISK3 which explains all of this!....

Just to make sure, it's only if the folder is on the ROOT of the User share, that it will disregard the exclusions??

i.e in my case: i had a movies share on the root of Disk1 and Disk2 (which is how it should be)....and i had a temporary movies folder on the root of Disk3, which is why it started copying files accross to it and disregarded my exclusions???

....if say i had this structure: Disk3/data/movies...would it still have adverse affects (even though its not in the root of the user share)???

PROBLEM - IT didnt work!!!

I deleted the movies folder off disk3, and rebooted my unraid box.....transferred file over to my movies share......and it re created a movies folder on Disk3 (data share), and started copying to it accordingly!!!

What should i try next???

PROBLEM - IT didnt work!!!

I deleted the movies folder off disk3, and rebooted my unraid box.....transferred file over to my movies share......and it re created a movies folder on Disk3 (data share), and started copying to it accordingly!!!

What should i try next???

hum, I'm not sure if case matters but when i include and exclude disks i always use lowercase letters.  I would imagine that would change nothing but it is worth a shot.

Also, if all else fails i would disable user shares, delete the movies folder on disk3, and shut the server down.  Then start the server back up and set up the user shares from scratch.  If you have done this already then i am not quite sure where to go from there.

So deleting the user shares within the Unraid console is ok aswell?

well that is a different question.. deleting, I don't know.. I've only deleted user shares that had empty folders in the root of the drive but when I delete the share, the folder was removed as well... i don't know how it will handle the folder if there is content in it..

Your previous question was about disabling user shares, not deleting them...

Matt

BE VERY CAREFUL.

You do not want to delete the user share files, you want to TURN OFF the user shares option.

This is done from the Web GUI, not from the unRAID console.

First stop the array (from the "Main" page) then go to the "Settings" page, and change the setting called "User shares:" to "Disabled".

FIXED :)))

Thanks to all for their HELP....i dont know which part fixed it, but here were my steps:

*Removed movies folder off disk3 (which shouldnt have been there)

*used all lowercase format for all my exclusions in the webgui

*Disabled user shares and restarted

*re-enabled shares after reboot and didn't touch the share settings (left them as they were)

Tested and now everything i copy to my "Movies" share will go to the appropriate disk :)))

THANKS TO ALL

The problem (bug?) was that the the 'disk' identifier must be all lowercase, ie, 'disk1', not 'Disk1', or 'DISK1'.

Also in general you only need 'included' set to non-blank, OR 'excluded' set to non-blank.

The 'included' mask says, "Only these disks will be considered for creation of a new object".

The 'excluded' mask says, "All disks will be considered for creation of a new object except for these disks".

In your case, it is sufficient to specify this:

For 'Data' share:

included = disk3

excluded =

For 'Movie' share:

included =

excluded = disk3

For the 'Movie' share you could also do this:

included = disk1-2

excluded =

But let's say that you know that eventually your Movie share will fill up and you will install a new disk (disk4).  If you use the method of just setting 'excluded = disk3' then when you add disk4 the Movie share will automatically start using it without you having to change the config - make sense?