My SuperMicro Build

yes, your ambient temp is a bit high, but very close to mine - i have my server in small cabinet with very poor ventilation. if i run stress tests on both CPUs at full speed, then temp are very close to 80 on both cpu, but never throttles.. see my server details on my sig..

and my cpu's have narrow bracket's, so it's not a square too, but i can place it direction from server top to bottom.. 

8 minutes ago, uldise said:

yes, your ambient temp is a bit high, but very close to mine - i have my server in small cabinet with very poor ventilation. if i run stress tests on both CPUs at full speed, then temp are very close to 80 on both cpu, but never throttles.. see my server details on my sig..

and my cpu's have narrow bracket's, so it's not a square too, but i can place it direction from server top to bottom.. 

maybe it has to do something with the noctua coolers. I looked trying to figure out how to move it to a front to back setup when I had changed the drive cages out. Maybe I should see if I can stuff the 3 fan rail thing back into the case. But I would think that would block the fans off of the drive cages..

Side note I cannot see anyone's signatures. (Never mind. It was a setting in the forum settings.)

Edited by demonmaestro

you can just test it with open case - air need to be moved inside a case from the front.

according open case - i tested this some time ago on my server - CPU temps was lower than with closed case - i know, this is because ambient temp and my small cabinet with very bad ventilation.. 

Well heres what I will do unless @garycase  or someone else would recommend a different case all together for my issue. Just keep in mind its a E-ATX mobo.

I will add back in the middle row of fans and max out the CPUs to see what happens.

I know that the original version of this case does not have the mid row of fans .(Rosewill RSV-L4412)

I have the mid row of fans setup because I have converted the case from a Rosewill RSV-L4500 to a Rosewill RSV-L4412.

Or should I just get the Supermicro heatsinks designed for this board and the bigger Noctua fans??

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101683 - heatsink

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608052  - fans

Please keep ind mind that the picture of the mobo is not the current motherboard setup.

IMG_20170601_124428.jpg.4657f8062c8f7f970329f4a124a5439b.jpg

11-147-233-05.jpg

Edited by demonmaestro

I would really think your current heatsinks should be okay -- but it IS true that the larger fans you referenced have a LOT more airflow than the ones on your current heatsink -- 110CFM vs 38CFM.    Moving that much more air would certainly provide better cooling.    But I really think re-mounting the heatsinks might be all you need to do  [or course if you switch heatsinks you'll be doing that for sure :D]

Adding the middle row of fans may also provide a big improvement -- clearly it will add a lot more airflow.

As I noted earlier, be sure to check the CFM rating for all of your fans and see just how much air they should be moving -- if you're using low-rpm fans that only move ~40CFM that may be the primary issue.

11 minutes ago, demonmaestro said:

Thinks to self. Why did I have to get an E-ATX Motherboard???

E-ATX is ok, Supermicro have bigger boards too. while E-ATX us supported by various Case manufacturers, it' ok. i'm on Norco 4224 with E-ATX on main server, and on basic Chieftec tower case with E-ATX on backup server..  

4 hours ago, demonmaestro said:

*Thinks to self. Why did I have to get an E-ATX Motherboard???*O.o

I've looked at a few E-ATX boards over the years; but have always shied away when actually buying simply because of the limits it places on what cases I could use.

But if you're building a dual-CPU system you really need to go with E-ATX simply because of the extra space you need to accommodate the CPU's and the other "stuff" you'll want on the board (plenty of memory slots; expansion slots; etc.).

I'm not sure just what your issue is, but I don't think it's because the board is E-ATX :D

• Like 1

Sooo I had ran the CPUs at 100% with the lid closed but with the new faster noctua fans on the drive cages. Had left the "fan curve" on the supermicro mobo to standard. 

The fans never spun up to 100% but kept at a cool 58C on the CPUs. I had the test run the CPUs at 100% and did a Parity check for 4 hours. Below was after 4 hours of being ran at full tilt.

Thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

IMG_20180330_131244.jpg

IMG_20180330_131252.jpg

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, uldise said:

@demonmaestro how you attach these small vents to radiators?

and according fans - which three are attached to drive cages - FANA, FAN3 and FAN4? 

What do you mean  "how you attach these small vents to radiators?" ???

The following:

FAN 1 - CPU2

FAN 2 - CPU1

FAN 3 - Drive cage

FAN 4 - Drive cage

FAN 5 - Case exhaust

FAN 6 - PCI cards

FAN A - Drive cage

FAN B - LAN CTRL & Intel PCH

39 minutes ago, uldise said:

@demonmaestro one more question :) when your system is idle, what are speeds of drive cages fans?

1400rpm. at idle. and room at 75F (24c)

I keep the Fan speed mode at Standard. The fan curve for that is 50%-100% of rated fan speeds.

Edit: Its still quiet as well! But at 100% it starts to sound like a server... O.o

But like @garycase had said. It is moving over double the amount of air now. :D

Capture.JPG

Edited by demonmaestro
  • Like 1