My SuperMicro Build

OLD build

Here we go.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL

Mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O

CPU: Intel Atom C2758 2.4GHz (8 Core) - (Built in)

Ram: 32 Gigs Kingston ECC (4 sticks of 8GB)

PSU: Corsair AX860

HDs: 12 - WD 4TB red, 1 - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD, 1 WD 4TB RE, 1 - PNY 8GB Thumb Drive

Addon Card: LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller IBM M1015 Was a SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

HD Dock: ICY DOCK MB453SPF-B

Extras: 3ware Serial ATA Cables, Silverstone 140MM x 2 Fan Filter, 4 Fractal Design Silent 140MM Fans, Rosewill RFX-100B - 90mm PCI slot fan

IMG_20140715_145206.jpg

Yes I need to clean up my cabling in the background...  :'(

**Updated part of this build**

New SuperMicro build!

3 - 120MM Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM - On Drive cage

2 - 40MM Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM - On Intel PCH and LAN CTRL

1 - Noctua NF-F12 PWM - Sitting on top of PCI cards

2 - Noctua NF-A8 PWM - Case vents

2 - Noctua NH-U9DX i4

10 - WD RED 4TB

2 - WD RE 4TB

1 - PNY CS1311 960GB

2 - PNY CS900 960GB

1 - PNY CS900 480GB

1 - SuperMicro SataDom 64GB

1 -  LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller IBM M1015

1 - 2 port 10g sfp+ card

2 - Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4

1 - Supermicro MBD-X10DRI-T

8 - Samsung 32g ddr4 2400

1 - Corsair AX860 PSU

In a Rosewill RSV-L4412

IMG_20180330_131244.jpg

Edited by demonmaestro
  • 3 weeks later...

Well never can have enough memory unless its the max that the mobo can handle. Lol. But possibility that or a small ram disk.. Not sure as of yet.

Agree ... no such thing as too much memory; too much CPU power; or too much storage  8)

.... our needs will undoubtedly grow to use whatever we happen to have available !!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have added a PCI slot fan that sucks from the case and blows out the back.

I have changed the Supermicro card out for a IBM 1015 card as well

IMG_20150831_143418.jpg

Current fan setup. 

Top of case -> 2 fans blowing in.

Front of case -> 2 fans blowing in.

Bottom of case -> 1 fan blowing in.

side of case -> 1 fan blowing in.

back of case -> 1 fan blowing out.

HD cages have a fan blowing in.

PCI card slow fan blowing out.

Is it possible I have too many fans blowing in and not enough going out? I am trying to keep a positive case pressure. Also I have filters on all the fans that are blowing in.

Edited by demonmaestro

Is it possible I have too many fans blowing in and not enough going out? I am trying to keep a positive case pressure. Also I have filters on all the fans that are blowing in.

What are you trying to accomplish? Reducing HDD temps typically means trying to move ALL the airflow over the drives first, which isn't going to happen with positive case pressure unless you have supercharged drive bay fans. I've had good results with all fans except for the HDD rack exhausting.

What are you trying to accomplish? Reducing HDD temps typically means trying to move ALL the airflow over the drives first, which isn't going to happen with positive case pressure unless you have supercharged drive bay fans. I've had good results with all fans except for the HDD rack exhausting.

Well I do want to reduce the HDD temp but also keep dust out. Since having the positive pressure in the case I don't have any dust inside.

I can change 3 of the fans to blow out.

All fans are 140mm except the PCI card slot fan.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an a1sri-2558f MB, but I am having some trouble powering it with my Silverstone Nightjar PSU. I eventually got it to power up using a PicoPSU, but that will not be enough when I start hooking up drives. Did you experience any similar problems with your board? It would be good to know if there is anything special you have to think about when you are choosing the PSU.

• 5 months later...

I didn't have any issues with the Motherboard. Make sure you are connecting it correctly.

I am bringing back up this topic because I am looking at moving to a rack mount case and looking for input. I have 12 - 3.5 drives that is needed internal or external. I have 2 SSDs in the server now. The MAX the system is 14 drives period.

• 2 weeks later...
I am bringing back up this topic because I am looking at moving to a rack mount case and looking for input. I have 12 - 3.5 drives that is needed internal or external. I have 2 SSDs in the server now. The MAX the system is 14 drives period.

While working out the details on my latest server, I nearly decided on this case:

Norco RPC-2212: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219040

Chenbro makes one very similar to that one:

Chenbro RM23212: http://www.amazon.com/Chenbro-without-Supply-Hotswap-RM23212/dp/B016VE6QBU

Decided instead to do away with any backplane, to reduce power consumption:

40TB server, under 30 watts idle: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47025.0

A 3U chassis might make more sense for your application, since 12 drives pretty much maxes out a 2U (hotswap) case, and you might want a couple more.

• 3 weeks later...

shoutout to @garycase on this issue.

So IMG_20170529_134515.jpg is the setup.

The bottom case is a rosewill RSV-L4500 fully populated with 15 hard drives. 

I have 6 of the Noctua NF-F12 PWM in the front and middle and 2 Noctua NF-A8 PWM on the back.

I had put a 120mm fan that came with the case on top of the raid cards. 

the 2u server that is on top. it only has 3 - Noctua NF-A8 PWM and its staying cool.

Why is the case running at such high temperatures?

What can I do to fix this issue?

4U case - at idle. 75-76F ambient temperature 

Capture3.JPG

2u case

otherserver.JPG

IMG_20170601_124428.jpg

IMG_20170529_134515.jpg

Edited by demonmaestro

@demonmaestro please take one more pic from your Rosewill where we can see direction of the middle wall fans..

in my server i have 3 NoiseBlocker 12" PMW in the middle wall and they are running @1350 RPM all the time, yours are much lower..

BUT, your CPU temp is much too high, Medium mean you are near CPU overheat.. see here: https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=8295

i suggest you to change CPU heatsinks with some Noctuas.. i'm using Arctic freezer 13, https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/freezer-13.html

1 minute ago, demonmaestro said:

The fans are the same direction as the front ones. All fans (except the one sitting on the raid cards) is moving from front to back.

ok :) i just wanna make sure.. and according that one that sits on cards - i experimented with such config on my server too, i got much better result when i place this fan outside a case along with cards..