Project unRAIDIO

Chuck,

This is just about the coolest idea I've seen in a long time.  What a creative way to hide your storage.  I am beyond impressed.  This needs to be featured in a blog post on our website.  Would you mind if I linked these photos?  Do you have any more to share?  This is amazing!!

Hi Guys.

This is still happening. Unfortunately, my wife decided that this project was taking up too much of my time and asked for a divorce.

I'm kidding........ It's not cause of the radio.  :(

So till the house sells and this mess is over, the project will be very slow, but I am working on it. I have finalized the drive tray design.

Radio.jpg

radioDrives.jpg

Hoping to start on the trays this week.

Jon, if you want to steal the images for blog post, by all means. Garycase, I will be taking photos. As a photographer, I feel it is my duty. :P

Hope to meet all your expectations.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I should be back on the project starting this October.  Did a quick mock-up of the last render I did, and found that the back bracket between the radio side and the drive cage is nearly inaccessible. Might be hard to mount new drives.

Looking at using lift off hinges

hinges.jpg

Each side will weigh between 18-20 lbs (when full). The hinges must be able to handle it.

This would allow easier removal of the cages for new HDD install/replacement.

Might try a few new designs.. but I like the current hinge design.

Would have used drawer slides on top (so the cage slides back), but getting them short enough will be tough.

Would have used drawer slides on top (so the cage slides back), but getting them short enough will be tough.

What length of slides do you need.

I used some 9.84" rails in my custom case which were quite short

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27485.0

Here is an example of shorter rails - only 6"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Long-Soft-Close-Side-Mount-Metal-Ball-Bearing-Drawer-Slides-2pcs-/390854782680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b00c2aed8

Intended for side mounting but I use them for bottom mounting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting finally.

There is going to be a redesign of the way the racks open. They will pivot back from the bottom.

Here is the damaged top again:

DSC_0056.jpg

Removed the top damaged layer of veneer. Going to go veneer hunting (saved large piece for grain matching)

DSC_0062.jpg

Cutting the shelf brackets.

DSC_0070.jpg

Rough idea of height / clearance requirements (mock up using pine. too soft and not quite cut to spec. Slight bends in the brackets). Solid though.

Most wood parts for each rack will be made using hardwood. (possibly leftover bloodwood. Very messy cutting though)

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

All for now. Gonna have to go back to Sketchup for a new pivot design.

This not making new holes in the original radio is becoming a pain.

Tried to remove the mid shelf, but they glued the front. This has caused more headaches. The space between the front curves and that plate allows for 1 finger.

I now need to create custom power cables and distribution block.

For now I built a baseplate to cover the midshelf and accept mounting hardware.

20.jpg

21.jpg

The bolts holding down the baseplate are a little high for my liking. I'll be getting some of those ikea style furniture bolts.

22.jpg

I also need to buy new baseplate material as the old piece I used was warped. Going to try and use clamps to see if I can get it to hold flat shape. (highly doubt it)

Tossed in all the drives I have. Worried that parity and cache are so close to the top. Maybe the design will only hold 20 drives instead of 22. We'll see how temps are.

23.jpg

and here is the mess of wires I need to deal with. <grumble grumble>

24.jpg

I forgot about getting a power button. Reset button, etc etc. lots of forgots. so now unraid is offline and my regular drives will have to bear the brunt of media for now.

Total Spent so far:

$40 - $40 Radio

$90 - Fans and Controller

$53 - 3/4 Inch Poplar

$30 - Closet Rails

6$ - PC Screws

-------------------------------

$229

This is REALLY starting to look good !!

I wouldn't bother with a Reset button ... just a power button is all you really need.

Personally, I also wouldn't connect the hard drive LED output to anything ... those flashing LED's can be a bit annoying.

Definitely looking forward to pictures of the finished unit  :)

You are right. Unraid and reset button bad idea. I am rethinking the power button as the magic eye. I don't need people walking by pushing the button (unless I make the power button in back and just use it for the glowing eye part).

Some bumps in the road I need to tackle:

1) How to get the power and data cables past the motherboard shelf.

a) I am thinking of making a back for the radio using 1/8th  inch backerboard. Cut holes like they used to in the old days to hide the cables running down the back. But I would know it's messy back there.

02-Clock-Radio-from-Back.jpg

Use velcro to hold in place (no damage)

b) Cutting out one corner of the midshelf (break my promise of no damage).. but it's inside and would not affect any mounting of original equipment.

c) Start making custom data and power cables (cables will fit, connectors won't clear the hole)

2) Existing cables are too short to make clean runs.

a) Make custom cables that would appear to look like old phone patch chords

telephone_operator1.jpg

b) Keep standard look and buy longer and just route cleanly.

3) Rebuild motherboard wooden adapter plate (curved issue)

4) Fan Controller Location (18inch temp leads)

bitfenix-recon.JPG

5) Power Button / Magic Eye Decision

6) Using the original glass dial face in some fashion.

7) Power Supply positioning. (will depend on cable / routing decision)

8 ) To pivot or not pivot the racks. Just simple pull out? Need lock pin ideas.

9) Fan/Speaker location covering. Can't use speaker cloth. Air won't move past it easily. Thinking of perforated sheet metal.

f5edd2fe-2606-4731-948e-09a92ef7b062_400.jpg

or

perforatedmetal003.jpg

And then having it air brushed to an old speaker cloth pattern.

There was no restoring the top veneer. Fully split, cracked and water damaged (flower pot on top?)

Previous owners stored it outside in covered sun room (no humidity control)

The 4 holes you see in the adapter bracket (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34329.msg334452#msg334452) is in line with the 4 holes in the mid-plate of the radio which are used to mount the radios component.

Any additional hole would not interfere nor would it create any structural issue. The problem I struggle with is:

Yes. I did strip off the old veneer but to benefit the original look (should it go back to a radio). Making a hole is something the radio doesn't need to look new again.

I know I'm quibbling over semantics.

Tonight was taking care of some little things that were driving me crazy.

Changed the adapter plate bolts to low profile. Had to custom cut. Change out the warped board for a straight one.

30.jpg

34.jpg

31.jpg

Better motherboard clearance now.

35.jpg

Added cage/tray lock bolts. Didn't want my production drives falling on the floor.

32.jpg

33.jpg

Cleaned up some wiring for now.

36.jpg

Bought the hardboard for the back. Until I know exactly where everything is going, can't cut it.

I think I am taking a small break. Then again, tomorrow is a new day. If I find a temporary switch, I might try and fire it up.