Project unRAIDIO

So just an update. This project fell off the radar. Unfortunately.

I have now reached 15 drives. And the problem now is my cables aren't able to reach the bottom set of drives. Also, my racks are a pain to put new drives in. I hate to say it, but I think a Norco 24bay is in the future.

But for the record, the setup works and has been awesome. Just will never be completed as other life priorities have taken over.

For archival sake, I will restore the broken photo links in the thread. Thanks for those that participated and see you next unfinished project I start.

And sorry, UnRaid Vintage Coke Machine probably won't happen either. /sniff

Sorry to hear it's been abandoned before it was completed ... but I can certainly understand.  I have a LOT of unfinished projects I've started over the years that have been relegated to a back burner which I'm sure will never actually be lit  :)

But this was SO nice !!    And it sure seem like it was effectively "done" ... or at least "done enough" that it could have had a nice spot upstairs where you could show it off !!    As for SATA cables not reaching your drives -- SURELY 36" cables would work:  http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10226&cs_id=1022602&p_id=5131&seq=1&format=2

I was going to continue Gman. I thought I figured it out. I just found this for $10 each:

3 drive cages from Corsair.

2668975_large.jpg

for 80$ I get 24 slots. Just need to make the frame to hold them all.

and for another $4, 2 SSD.

2728988_large.jpg

To bad I am Canadian. End cost goes from $84 to $200

Still cheaper than the Norco. 1st world problems. I just really hate having to spin this radio around to add drives. It's getting fraking heavy.

I just really hate having to spin this radio around to add drives. It's getting fraking heavy.

How about putting the radio on top of a piece of 3/4" plywood with a Lazy Susan Bearing between the two? I am not sure how heavy the radio is so you would have to get a bearing that would support the weight. Also I would want a locking mechanism to stop it from spinning by its self.

511l4ljzH8L._SX342_.jpg

• 5 years later...

7 Years Later.....

This Unraid Radio has moved into an old 1851 stone home we are renovating. 
It is protected by a APC 1500 VA UPSD and now has

• Upgraded Motherboard and  CPU (i7-4790k)
  • 24 GB Ram
  • 4 SSDs
  • 16 Drives (39TB)

It also hosted an echo show for awhile

Finally committed to a 16TB Parity drive so I can start trimming down the drive count
Drive with most powered on hours is over 11y, 6m, 29d, 19h

Other than getting dusty (which I did a full tear down and clean out as CPU temps were hitting 100), it has run like a champ and cooling drives working great. When I am done the house, I will get back to mounting Motherboard, PSU and SSDs correctly along with finishing the front and back panels.

The small radio on top may become a gaming PC. :P 

jQv4Z_MYMVM18cY6b1QSrLflwdfnss5gpTqY_EKlLF8eJxFPc.jpg

U_ten0fbTnywu21wgb77Sw.jpg

Edited by ChuckTSI
  • Like 2