Accessing my server problems!

Your description of your problem is unclear. Since you have posted a screenshot of the webGUI I assume the connection problem you are having is not with the webGUI. Where are you seeing this problem, Windows Explorer? Maybe post a screenshot that shows the problem.

There are some troubling things in your syslog. In particular, lines like these appear several times:

Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower emhttp: unclean shutdown detected\
Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower kernel: mdcmd (39): check CORRECT\
Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower kernel: md: recovery thread woken up ...\
Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower kernel: write_file: error 30 opening /boot/config/super.dat\
Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower kernel: md: could not write superblock from /boot/config/super.dat\

This indicates that the server power was interrupted with the array started. You must stop the array before shutting it down. You should always try to use the webGUI to stop the array, and then shut it down from the webGUI. If that is not possible because the webGUI is not working for some reason, then there are other ways of getting a clean shutdown. Pressing the power switch should be the last resort.

If you had a parity drive, the array would have started a correcting parity check, which would take several hours, each time it detected an unclean shutdown.

As it is, you have corrupted your flash drive with the unclean shutdowns. Put it in your PC and run checkdisk on it.

Also, whatever program you have used to post that syslog has added formatting characters to it. Never use that program to edit any files that unRAID uses, such as those on your flash drive.

Your description of your problem is unclear. Since you have posted a screenshot of the webGUI I assume the connection problem you are having is not with the webGUI. Where are you seeing this problem, Windows Explorer? Maybe post a screenshot that shows the problem.

There are some troubling things in your syslog. In particular, lines like these appear several times:

Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower emhttp: unclean shutdown detected\
Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower kernel: mdcmd (39): check CORRECT\
Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower kernel: md: recovery thread woken up ...\
Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower kernel: write_file: error 30 opening /boot/config/super.dat\
Jul 29 21:26:50 Tower kernel: md: could not write superblock from /boot/config/super.dat\

This indicates that the server power was interrupted with the array started. You must stop the array before shutting it down. You should always try to use the webGUI to stop the array, and then shut it down from the webGUI. If that is not possible because the webGUI is not working for some reason, then there are other ways of getting a clean shutdown. Pressing the power switch should be the last resort.

If you had a parity drive, the array would have started a correcting parity check, which would take several hours, each time it detected an unclean shutdown.

As it is, you have corrupted your flash drive with the unclean shutdowns. Put it in your PC and run checkdisk on it.

Also, whatever program you have used to post that syslog has added formatting characters to it. Never use that program to edit any files that unRAID uses, such as those on your flash drive.

Hi,

Thanks for your input.

My problem is the following: I can access the server on the webGUI, however I cannot access it using my imac or my PC. If I click on Tower on my imac, it keeps coming up connection failed even though the server in online.

I will run checkdisk now. I don't know how to use it but a quick Google and I will follow the instructions.

Let's hope this fixes my issue. Report back as soon as I can.

First, I'd simply reboot the server and see if that resolves it.

Second, do you have the server set up to use User accounts?  ... or do you just have it set for root access (no users)?    Without any user accounts access is very simple ... no login required;  but if you've set up User accounts you may have a credential issue with your login.  I'd delete any users you have;  and also confirm that you have SMB enabled.

I'm sure you know this, but the parity drive has to be >= the size of your largest drive, so in your case it needs to be at least 4TB.

Personally, I'd buy one of the new 6TB WD Reds ... then you won't have any restrictions on the size of drives you can later add to the server, and can also upgrade your current drives to 6TB if/when any of them fail (or if you just want the added space without using another SATA port).

I'm sure you know this, but the parity drive has to be >= the size of your largest drive, so in your case it needs to be at least 4TB.

Personally, I'd buy one of the new 6TB WD Reds ... then you won't have any restrictions on the size of drives you can later add to the server, and can also upgrade your current drives to 6TB if/when any of them fail (or if you just want the added space without using another SATA port).

I was about to do this but I kept holding off, I can have 20 (forgot the exact number) of drives in my array and my case can support them all. Recently I just picked up three 3TB WD Green's for around 100 each, the prices of 2 & 3tb drives are hitting a great value per gb pricepoint and seems like a great time to jump on them.