jonp

TRIM Support via Mount

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

New config setting where you can specify additional mount options to use if desired.

I have been reading a lot on the net about trim support and there are those that feel that mounting a drive with trim support ('discard') works the drive too hard and file system support for trim is weak at this point, except for maybe BTRFS.  A daily trim would do the same job and not overwork the SSD.  Maybe a solution would be to provide a check box for a cache drive that when selected would run a daily 'fstrim /mnt/cache'.

I have been reading a lot on the net about trim support and there are those that feel that mounting a drive with trim support ('discard') works the drive too hard and file system support for trim is weak at this point, except for maybe BTRFS.  A daily trim would do the same job and not overwork the SSD.  Maybe a solution would be to provide a check box for a cache drive that when selected would run a daily 'fstrim /mnt/cache'.

Were your ears ringing or something?  I swear Eric and I were JUST discussing TRIM again yesterday.  Seems uncanny that you brought it up today.  I demand you take down your secret spy webcams from our office immediately or NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Is there a recommended procedure for implementing trim on SSS cache drive while we wait for this? Thanks.

I think this would be a great feature.  I am finding I can't run the fstrim command for whatever reason (my best guess being that its because the SSD is hooked up via a passthrough M1015.  Hoping the trim via mount would be a workable option for my setup.