western digital my cloud vs. UnRaid

Tesla619

Hi Guys, ok so i have been an unraid user for about a year now and all it does is back up my local PC and stream BUT if i want to upload from my work PC that is 30 miles away to my unraid at home; i'm hearing its not secure and not recomended, so why should i not have gotten the western digital my cloud, i can upload and download from anywhere ?

Also i can piggy back these units together

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the main difference is flexibility.  unRAID is an inherently flexible and powerful solution that lets you do a number of different things.  The price you may pay is complexity - you can do more, but it may be a little more complicated to figure out.  WD MyCloud is a consumer level device that does fewer things and has more limitations, but if your requirements are in it's sweetspot then you may be all set.

Since you already have unRAID, if there are things you'd like to figure out how to do on unRAID I'd suggest asking those questions directly.  On the other hand, if you are feeling like you'd like a simpler (if more limited) solution, then you could always backup your data and pop those hard drives into a WD MyCloud.