SSD

User Share Copy Bug

83 posts in this topic Last Reply

5 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Can someone confirm if this defect is still unresolved? 

Yes. Easy to avoid though. Don't mix user shares and disks when moving or copying. I recommend not sharing disks on the network at all. If you do need to work with disks, do so directly on the server. And when working with disks, only work with disks

17 minutes ago, jaybee said:

OK I understand...I think. :)

What exactly were you planning on doing that you suspect may cause a problem?

The "absolutely paranoid and don't want to take ANY chance on losing data" approach to this is to be CERTAIN that the data you plan to move around is BACKED UP on another system :D

But as already noted, as long as you understand how to avoid the issue there shouldn't be any problem with your copies.     If you have ANY doubt that you're doing it right; copy ONE file first (being certain you have a backup of that file on another system) ... and confirm that all worked well.

16 hours ago, jonathanm said:

I wouldn't call it a defect

Image result for thumbs up emoji

Ok, I have just started to work with 6.x and I was at first confused about why I could not see any disk shares... Found where to enable them after reading up on the "problem" than saw there was a "user share copy bug" I needed to become familiar with.

My take on the whole thing, now I have read this thread, I can see where people could get into big troubles by copying files from Disk to User shares and also in reverse.  It has always been a potential from what I can see, at least back to the 4.x days.  As others, I also ALWAYS sue disk shares to WRITE to my arrays, and often, (always for media players), use the user shares for reading, including in the past, setting the user shares to READ ONLY.  On a server others have access to, I also would set DISK shares to be hidden, but set to full READ/WRITE access.

Now I have my disk shares working again for my 6.5.3 test server, I am looking for a way to have them enabled, but hidden from other users casual browsing... is this possible with 6.X, or did it vanish sometime between 4.x and 6.x?

Also, as some have said, this is NOT a bug really.  It is just a misunderstanding of file system operations.  Just like you want to avoid recursive loops, unless you are cautious with what you are doing, you really should not be playing around too much with virtual directory structures, again without proper thought put into the potential issues that could result.

I think in general the decision to disable disk shares by default was a very good choice.  It will help protect the majority of casual computer users, that are more frequently adopting Unraid as a home server solution.  At the same time, I do not see that Unraid would be very useful to me, or at least fully meet my needs, without the ability to use Disk Shares!

As a side, but related note, I always move files from a networked computer, using the DISK SHARES, (obviously since my user shares are set to read only).  I use a combination of Drag and Drop, Command line, and Batch files.  If moving a file or sets of files to another disk share, I make copies of the files to the new destination first, then I do a full file comparison of the original and new copies.  Then and ONLY then do I delete the original file from the original disk share.  I am a bit paranoid about potential file corruption, so I take the extra steps to insure it does not happen while the files are being moved due to memory, disk, or even communication losses.  If I am moving a file WITHIN a disk share, to another user share that is also on that disk for example, I just do a simple move as it does not do as much to the file in the process, but perhaps I should re-think that one, as some OSes do more than others at that point.

You can set the Disk Shares SMB Export option to “Yes (hidden)” to stop them being visible on the network but still accessible if you know the name.

35 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You can set the Disk Shares SMB Export option to “Yes (hidden)” to stop them being visible on the network but still accessible if you know the name.

Yes!  :-)  Thanks!  Just what I was looking for!  I think that was the last thing I felt I needed before full deployment!