User Share Copy Bug


111 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem only occurs when you accidentally copy the file to itself.  (e.g something like /mnt/disk1/dir1/file1 to /mnt/user/dir1/file1).   In your example that is not happening so you do not encoun

The question is whether it is even a 'bug' in the strict sense of the word!   The word 'bug' is used in this context to mean that it is not the behaviour the user expects even though the system is beh

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It is, because that's a disk share, can't do that.

OK. That's good to know. I read the thread and it was a little confusing, or maybe I don't understand.
Once I get consolidated here I think I may remove any exported disk share from the admin user, so I cannot map the disk anywhere and only leave the disks I want to map available for data outside the user share scope.

 

That would leave /disk/<foldernames> separate from /user/<foldername>
Then there is no ability to mess things up 

Link to post
1 minute ago, bombz said:

That would leave /disk/<foldernames> separate from /user/<foldername>

No. All top level folders on any disk included in user shares are not separate from user shares. It is possible to exclude specific disks from all user shares in Global Share Settings, but I don't recommend it. Better to just work with the disks only if you want to move things on the server.

 

I am working on another post with more information for this.

Link to post

There is a builtin file manager called Midnight Commander (mc from the command line). Google it to see if maybe it is something you can use. Many people use Krusader docker for file management directly on the server.

 

Whichever method you use, you have to be aware of this "surprise" and also another one. This one is the most important as it can result in data loss.

 

I always recommend not sharing disks on the network just for this reason. It is too easy to make a mistake. You say not all users have access, but it sounds like you may be just as dangerous yourself.

 

Only work with user shares, or only work with disk. Never both at the same time. And what you are trying to do may not have the result you are after anyway due to the 2nd "surprise".

 

Read this post I made some time ago on another thread about these 2 "surprises":

 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/61985-file-browser-in-webui/?do=findComment&comment=723474

 

Link to post

Going back in this thread to your first post here:

 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/32836-user-share-copy-bug/?do=findComment&comment=844128

 

Just because you haven't got disk1 included in the user share doesn't mean it isn't part of the user share. Share settings are really just telling Unraid where to write new files. When reading from a user share, it will include any disk that has a top level folder named for that share. The user shares are just the top level folders on cache and array disks.

 

As mentioned, it is possible to exclude specific disks from ALL user shares, but it is rarely used and I have never tried it.

Link to post
19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Going back in this thread to your first post here:

 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/32836-user-share-copy-bug/?do=findComment&comment=844128

 

Just because you haven't got disk1 included in the user share doesn't mean it isn't part of the user share. Share settings are really just telling Unraid where to write new files. When reading from a user share, it will include any disk that has a top level folder named for that share. The user shares are just the top level folders on cache and array disks.

 

As mentioned, it is possible to exclude specific disks from ALL user shares, but it is rarely used and I have never tried it.

Interesting and confusing. From my attached screen, you are saying DISK1 is included in this user share, even though it is not specifically specified in the user share itself?

That's the confusing part.

 

Right now I am moving data from user/share -> user/share 


I guess I will have to see how it goes, I am hesitant to make any changes now, but that will not allow me to consolidate. 

 

Thank you for the feedback.

new.JPG.46b193e94a0067a47052904c9ccde71f.JPG

Link to post
5 minutes ago, bombz said:

From my attached screen, you are saying DISK1 is included in this user share, even though it is not specifically specified in the user share itself?

That Included setting just makes it so Unraid will choose from only those disks when deciding where to write a new file.

11 minutes ago, bombz said:

Right now I am moving data from user/share -> user/share 

That is safe (no data loss), but possibly still subject to the surprise #2 I mentioned.

 

Another thing people often use for moving files on their server is the unBALANCE plugin.

 

 

Link to post
29 minutes ago, trurl said:

That Included setting just makes it so Unraid will choose from only those disks when deciding where to write a new file.

That is safe (no data loss), but possibly still subject to the surprise #2 I mentioned.

 

Another thing people often use for moving files on their server is the unBALANCE plugin.

 

 

That Included setting just makes it so Unraid will choose from only those disks when deciding where to write a new file.

Right, therefore disk 1 is outside any /user/share

to which is why I would keep disk 1 as a /disk/share to write to when I needed

That is safe (no data loss), but possibly still subject to the surprise #2 I mentioned.

OK

 

Another thing people often use for moving files on their server is the unBALANCE plugin.

I will look into this. I would love some type of GUI i can run from Windows to move files within the server without having to hop out of the server.

Edited by bombz
Link to post
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Read this post I made some time ago on another thread about these 2 "surprises":

 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/61985-file-browser-in-webui/?do=findComment&comment=723474

 

as posted in 2 surpises:
The workaround for this is to copy from source to destination, so that new files get created following the user share settings, then deleting from the source.

 

The method I am using is moving data from /user/share -> /user/share
Essentially this is not a source to destination move as I am not using the direct disk path. This was the confusing part, as /user/share -> /user/share/ was deemed safe, this is contraindicating that.
 

Link to post
47 minutes ago, bombz said:

Right, therefore disk 1 is outside any /user/share

to which is why I would keep disk 1 as a /disk/share to write to when I needed

Wrong. Disk1 is part of any user share that has the (top level) folder for the share. If that folder for the user share is on disk1, then when you read from that user share, files on disk one are included. It is only when writing new files to that user share that Unraid will not choose disk1.

 

21 minutes ago, bombz said:

as posted in 2 surpises:
The workaround for this is to copy from source to destination, so that new files get created following the user share settings, then deleting from the source.

 

The method I am using is moving data from /user/share -> /user/share
Essentially this is not a source to destination move as I am not using the direct disk path. This was the confusing part, as /user/share -> /user/share/ was deemed safe, this is contraindicating that.
 

Surprise #2 has nothing to do with the "user share copy bug" as it is discussed in this current thread.

 

Surprise #2 is a totally different issue. Surprise #2 is only about moving from user share to user share, which is what you say you are doing and the reason I brought it up again.

 

Linux may just move the file on the same disk instead of moving it to another disk, even if the destination user share is configured to not write files to that same disk.

Link to post
3 hours ago, trurl said:

That Included setting just makes it so Unraid will choose from only those disks when deciding where to write a new file.

That is safe (no data loss), but possibly still subject to the surprise #2 I mentioned.

 

Another thing people often use for moving files on their server is the unBALANCE plugin.

 

 

unBALANCE is wonderful I have it installed. It is strictly for moving data from disk to disk, which is awesome during a migration or backup! So thank you.
I will see if I can get it to move share -> share

EDIT:
Looks like a i will move the data around with unBALANCED and monitor as the disk fills. Once filled move other data to another disk, and keep the same DIR structure throughout.
I was thinking of disabling parity doing this but that raises some flags. I suppose I could enable turbo write

Edited by bombz
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.