Non USA residents - how to buy drives in the USA and handle warranty returns

Greenleaf gave me a tip off about Shipito.

I opened an account with www.shipito.com, it's a bit of pain to open the account fully and a bank transfer of funds to seed the account seems to help a lot with verification.

Greenleaf delivered 2 of 20 bay servers there and NewEgg delivered 4 of WD Red 6TB drives.

Shipito unpacked the drives and repacked them in one box reducing the shipping costs massively, they also have globally negotiated rates with DHL & FedEx which are better than available to the average Joe.  I was able to ship 2 servers for less than the cost of 1 if I did it conventionally.

One of their services is to open the boxes and remove the invoices, which can help with the customs declaration and ultimate import tax payable ;-)

This is also a great way to return drives that fail and only have USA warranty.  You can post them back to the manufacturer internationally and give your address as Shipito who will email you with photos when a parcel arrives for you.

If anyone in Thailand needs anything, let me know.

Greenleaf gave me a tip off about Shipito.

I opened an account with www.shipito.com, it's a bit of pain to open the account fully and a bank transfer of funds to seed the account seems to help a lot with verification.

Greenleaf delivered 2 of 20 bay servers there and NewEgg delivered 4 of WD Red 6TB drives.

Shipito unpacked the drives and repacked them in one box reducing the shipping costs massively, they also have globally negotiated rates with DHL & FedEx which are better than available to the average Joe.  I was able to ship 2 servers for less than the cost of 1 if I did it conventionally.

One of their services is to open the boxes and remove the invoices, which can help with the customs declaration and ultimate import tax payable ;-)

This is also a great way to return drives that fail and only have USA warranty.  You can post them back to the manufacturer internationally and give your address as Shipito who will email you with photos when a parcel arrives for you.

If anyone in Thailand needs anything, let me know.

I am glad we were able to help with this and that Shipito has worked out so well!!

Living in Thailand myself i used shipto several times in sata raid cards purchases and even an apple tv

didn't try drives yet ....

i started using shipto when i got a ridiculous import tax on something i ordered from monoprice ... tax was nearly same price as the shipment

so i looked for different options ... and so far shipto never costed me import taxes :)

Living in Thailand myself i used shipto several times in sata raid cards purchases and even an apple tv

didn't try drives yet ....

i started using shipto when i got a ridiculous import tax on something i ordered from monoprice ... tax was nearly same price as the shipment

so i looked for different options ... and so far shipto never costed me import taxes :)

I did  a lot of reading before making the suggestion to Brucey7.  I am glad it has worked out so well for him, and hearing the same from you is reassuring.

I think going forward we are going to suggest that our international customers look into setting up a Shipito account and using that as the "drop point" for us to send the servers to.  It ends up being cheaper all the way around as the customer can chose the shipping method from Shipito to themselves and pay whatever they like.  It works out better for use as we only need to worry about shipping to a US based address and insuring the server for that leg of the journey.

You declare the value yourself.  For $1 they will remove invoices from the parcels before shipping, so yes you can declare a lower value.

I assumed that was the case.

But you can only insure it for the value you declare.

Which certainly makes it very risky to undervalue a shipment just to save a few $$ on customs duties.  [Although I know how high these can get ... when we lived in Europe, we once received a package sent to us that cost us nearly as much as the value of the goods to get it out of customs.]

• 2 weeks later...

The value you declare is down to you, but the import taxes will be based on it.

I pay Shipito to remove invoices, photo everything, repack them all in one box, secure it with security tape and choose a freight option that is trackable (typically DHL).

I prefer to under declare and take the risk,  there's something very pleasurable about getting one over on the tax authorities after years of being stung by them.

• 3 years later...

If you want to buy online USA product online you need to have a local USA address. You can contact some professional parcel forwarder and they will offer their own USA address. When checkout enter USA address and they will collect your parcel and sent it to you at native place. They will charged you like Shipping Charges + Duty and Taxes. once product deliver to you and if you get any issue related to a product you have to send product again to the USA and you have pay duty tax again. 

If you want to buy online USA product online you need to have a local USA address. You can contact some professional parcel forwarder and they will offer their own USA address. When checkout enter USA address and they will collect your parcel and sent it to you at native place. They will charged you like Shipping Charges + Duty and Taxes. once product deliver to you and if you get any issue related to a product you have to send product again to the USA and you have pay duty tax again. 
You know the last reply to this thread is nearly 4 years old right?
7 minutes ago, CHBMB said:
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:11 AM, sujayghosal said:

You know the last reply to this thread is nearly 4 years old right?

No. It was from CHBMB, 6 minutes ago. ?