MariaDB Docker

Hi

I installed MariaDB docker in an effort to get centralised XBMC working again since my upgrade to unraid 6. however when i try to load the mysql command line, i get a command not found error. Am i missing something? how do i do this?

Are you trying this from the unRAID command line? Or are you getting into a terminal inside the docker somehow? unRAID will not know any of the dockers commands.

I am not using this but I think some are managing this from another machine. I know there are Windows front-ends for managing mysql on another machine. MySQL Workbench, for example.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I am trying to use Mariadb to centralize my Kodi database. I never did this before. I have no experience with MySQL and thought I'd do this with a containerized MariaDB.  I am quickly realizing I have no clear how to begin.  I managed to install the Docker successfully.  I've read around about configuring MySQL.  But I am not able to tie everything together like how I could access and configure the MariaDB I installed.  The more I read the more I realize I have no clue what to do.  Am I just not finding the right information in the forums?  Are there any beginning to end directions available that might help?

Thank You. :)

Thank you, Squid.  I'll look up how to use MySQL workbench and give it a try.

Download MySQL workbench onto your windows machine.  From it, connect to your MariaDB docker (unraid'sIPaddress:3306)

Enter the following commands:

CREATE USER 'kodi' IDENTIFIED BY 'kodi';

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi';

Then carry on setting up kodi with the following instructions: http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_XBMC

• Upvote 1

I can't figure out how to run the commands you gave me through MySQL.  That may because I had a super long day.

I may have to try the other option you presented.  I saw it before, but wasn't sure if "headless" meant it gave more configuration options or was about installing a full Kodi (which I am not looking to do) on unRAID.  I'll try your steps again Tomorrow and then consider this option if I can't figure it out.

thanks again. :)

Another option would be to setup a headless kodi & mariadb container as described here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37209.msg343935#msg343935 and here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37763.msg349216#msg349216

I can't figure out how to run the commands you gave me through MySQL.  That may because I had a super long day.

I may have to try the other option you presented.  I saw it before, but wasn't sure if "headless" meant it gave more configuration options or was about installing a full Kodi (which I am not looking to do) on unRAID.  I'll try your steps again Tomorrow and then consider this option if I can't figure it out.

thanks again. :)

headless means that Kodi is actually running through docker and is used to make sure that mariaDB is up-to-date.  Myself I don't run it because my HTPC is always on and does that anyways.

I'll work on a MySQL Workbench tutorial and post it up.

Found this (saves me the time from having to do it myself)

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35052.msg332789#msg332789

It looks right...  Just change the commands listed to be:

(Don't forget the semicolons)

Hightlight all of the lines you just typed in and hit the lightning bolt to execute them.

You don't need to do steps 6 and up

then setup your advancedsettings.xml according to: http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_XBMC

You can log into the docker by running this command,

docker exec -t -i "container id" /bin/bash

You can get the container ID from the docker tab or by typing "docker ps" at the command line.

if you get a

TERM environment variable not set

when trying to run

mysql -u root -p

enter this and then try again.

export TERM=xterm

Thanks, Squid.  I went back over the process again.  In fact I was able to figure it out the next day.  The 2nd command had not executed.  I was able to verify the account and then went and changed the Advancedsettings.xml on my Matricom G Box-Q and it looks good.  I even pulled out my old Boxee box (with Kodi on it) and verified that it could access the database content too.  Now I'll look into Headless Kodi to see if it's worth setting that up too.

Thanks again!

Found this (saves me the time from having to do it myself)

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35052.msg332789#msg332789

It looks right...  Just change the commands listed to be:

(Don't forget the semicolons)

Hightlight all of the lines you just typed in and hit the lightning bolt to execute them.

You don't need to do steps 6 and up

then setup your advancedsettings.xml according to: http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_XBMC

• 3 weeks later...

I use HeidiSQL on my windows machine to access the mariadb.  It's a GUI program rather than command line so pretty easy for those of us new to MySQL

Made a how-to on it a few years back for UnRAIDv5 but principle will still be the same.

If you're still struggling I'll try and find it when I get home in a couple of hours.

Yep thats also my plan to get rid of Mediaportal and port my whole Mediacenter System to Kodi.

@Squid,: If you know if it is worth setting that up, i'd like to hear about.

TBH, I invested about about a day into getting KOMA up and running and properly communicating with both of my servers.

While I did manage to get it running, I wound up repurposing a some computers at home, and the net result was that one of my HTPC's is now on 24-7.  Therefore, I'm just keeping it simple and easy to maintain - The HTPC thats always on taking care of scanning, and one of my servers running MariaDB docker.

Yep thats also my plan to get rid of Mediaportal and port my whole Mediacenter System to Kodi.

TBH, I invested about about a day into getting KOMA up and running and properly communicating with both of my servers.

While I did manage to get it running, I wound up repurposing a some computers at home, and the net result was that one of my HTPC's is now on 24-7.  Therefore, I'm just keeping it simple and easy to maintain - The HTPC thats always on taking care of scanning, and one of my servers running MariaDB docker.

I found it all pretty straightforward to setup on Unraid but then I've been using centralised mysql for a few years now so have got to know the pitfalls quite well. 

It also means that I can turn off my HTPC clients.

I found it all pretty straightforward to setup on Unraid but then I've been using centralised mysql for a few years now so have got to know the pitfalls quite well. 

I kept on running into permission issues with accessing my other server when having the shares setup as anything other than public.  My one HTPC does double duty as a picture frame so its always running, so I merely elected to go with the far simpler setup.

My first updater in a mysql enviroment was an atv1 with crystalbuntu, but that thing ran so hot i was afraid i was gonna burn the house down.

I kept on running into permission issues with accessing my other server when having the shares setup as anything other than public.  My one HTPC does double duty as a picture frame so its always running, so I merely elected to go with the far simpler setup.

Sometimes i think most of the people here live in countries where you dont have to care about the costs for electric energy  ;) . With the prices for electricity here in Germany it would hurt to let the unRaid or the HTPC run 24/7 for mainly doing nothing.

Sometimes i think most of the people here live in countries where you dont have to care about the costs for electric energy  ;) . With the prices for electricity here in Germany it would hurt to let the unRaid or the HTPC run 24/7 for mainly doing nothing.

One of my servers is constantly busy.  Whether is doing any downloading or merely running Folding@Home, it never stops doing anything of benefit to me.  My other server sits idle 99% of the time.

I'm not exactly happy about that and have experimented with WOL, and discovered quite early that the mobo will sleep perfectly, but on wake up it will without fail destroy whatever USB thumbdrive is plugged into it.  (killed 2 unRaid sticks that way).

Sure, I could upgrade to a mobo that's not 8 years old and have everything work perfectly, but then I do have to consider the Return on Investment.  Am I actually going to save any money by replacing the equipment and lowering the hydro costs.  The answer thus far is still no.

Mind you, my electrical rates in Canada are quite a bit lower than Germany's.

Also from an eco point of view it makes no sense to replace a board if it is not broken.

I pay 0,26€ for each kWh i use, thats we i have seen that my server is a good compromise between performance and powerdraw.

That also the reason why i will never need an Pro License of unRaid. More than the drives i have now makes no sense to me.

20+ Drives Monsters like that one i've seen here would simply blast me electricity bill  ;D .

But enough OT.

• 3 months later...

Late reply but since costs are being discussed, thought i would chime back in. At full usage (Performing backups, Trans-coding at max quality to 4 or 5 Plex clients) my server currently has 16 Data drives and uses about 120W of Power. Green Drives and SSD for Cache helps this i believe, but I would suspect that my CPU even at 25% load (most i have seen yet) probably uses half of that. It's worth remembering that not all drives will be spun up at the same time.

I liken it to these huge musically timed Christmas Light displays you see on Youtube. You think they use crazy power but not all the lights are on at the same time ever, so not as much as you would think.