Have ESXi shutdown unRAID safely?

I have unRAID v5.0.5 running on ESXi v5.5 update 1.  I also have a Cyberpower UPS with the Powerpanel ESXi appliance.  I am trying to get all my VMs to shutdown safely then shut down ESXi server safely in the event of a power outage.  I have VMware tools installed on unRAID but it is for v5.0.1 and it appear that the ESXi power off button does not shutdown unRAID correctly for v5.0.5.  Is there a way to get ESXi or the Powerpanel to send the powerdown command to evoke the powerdown plugin.

The way I understand it is that the VMware tools is suppose to be able to shutdown the array safely but the current VMware tools needs tobe updated to unRAId v5.0.5 and v6.  The Powerpanel appliance tells ESXi to safely shutdown all VMs and then to have ESXi to shutdown it's self.

• 6 months later...

I'm no expert in these waters, just looking into a similar situation.

I think maybe you need to automate a logon to the unraid server and stop and halt it before the ESXi server goes down.

There is a shutdown.sh script that is supposed to do what you want in ESXi, but if it is not working nicely with your unraid VMTools to do the clean shutdown then try "remotely" shutting down Unraid first as a separate job.

Mick

• 2 months later...

I have unRAID v5.0.5 running on ESXi v5.5 update 1.  I also have a Cyberpower UPS with the Powerpanel ESXi appliance.  I am trying to get all my VMs to shutdown safely then shut down ESXi server safely in the event of a power outage.  I have VMware tools installed on unRAID but it is for v5.0.1 and it appear that the ESXi power off button does not shutdown unRAID correctly for v5.0.5.  Is there a way to get ESXi or the Powerpanel to send the powerdown command to evoke the powerdown plugin.

The way I understand it is that the VMware tools is suppose to be able to shutdown the array safely but the current VMware tools needs tobe updated to unRAId v5.0.5 and v6.  The Powerpanel appliance tells ESXi to safely shutdown all VMs and then to have ESXi to shutdown it's self.

VMware tools will shutdown the linux server the appropriate way, It will make sure a shutdown command is sent instead of power just beiing cut (equivalent of typing SHUTDOWN instead of pulling the plug out of a physical server).

The linux shutdown command in turn will terminate running processes by sending them a stop signal before shutting down.

Terminating the unraid software in this way however does not make for a " clean "  shutdown, and you will be presented with a parity check on reboot.

As long as you make sure that no processes are writing to the array this will most likely be workable.. And after a power situation a oarity check might be a good idea anyhow, that way you will be extra sure all is fine..

What I used to do:

- Within ESXI first bring down the VM's that write to the server (I have VMs for sickbeard, couchpotato, sabnzbd, transmission). When they are terminated then have esxi pause for a minute and bring down unraid (make sure vmware tools are installed within the unraid vm). That way buffers will be emptied and the shutdown should not cause issues..

There used to be an implementation of vmware tools for unraid ( http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11449.0 ) , it has not been updated for V6 and I do not know if it still works, it was a nice plugin since it also tried to shutdown the system unraid-clean (so preventing a parity check),

There used to be an implementation of vmware tools for unraid ( http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11449.0 ) , it has not been updated for V6 and I do not know if it still works, it was a nice plugin since it also tried to shutdown the system unraid-clean (so preventing a parity check),

VmWare tools for unRAID V6 see here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38279

This will not work with the updated kernel until Zeron updates it.