Recommendation needed to improve write speed

I currently have mac and unRAID server connected through 300 mbps router using CAT7 cables.

It takes about 0.5 ms to ping to the server.  But the current write speed is only 10 MB/sec.

I am thinking about having a gigabit switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1008D) to improve the speed. 

Am I making a right decision?

I would like to receive any recommendation for improving the write speed.  Thanks.

Try replacing the Ethernet cables.  Speeds ~ 10MB/s almost always indicate either a failed port on a Gb switch; or a bad cable pair in the Ethernet cabling ... which causes the link to degrade to 100Mb speed (which is very likely what's happening here).

Since you're having the same issue with two different computers, replace all the cables that are common to both transfers -- i.e. the cable from UnRAID to your router; possibly a cable between your UPS and server; etc.    You might also change to a different port on the router to see if you happen to have a defective port.

No wireless! It is all wired through CAT7 cables.

300Mbps is a very strange speed for a router if you are not talking about wireless!  I have never seen wired connections quoted at anything other than 10/100/1000MBps.

I had the same thought -- I presume he's quoting the wireless speed of the router; but using the wired ports.    Actually that brings up another thought ==> does this router have a Gb switch?    ... if it's only a 100Mb switch, then that instantly explains your connection speeds.

If that's the case, all you need is a Gb switch -- connect one of the switch ports to the router; and all your other devices (computers and UnRAID server) to the switch, and your speeds will instantly improve  :)

I don't have a Gb switch yet.  Currently I only have a router.

Try replacing the Ethernet cables.  Speeds ~ 10MB/s almost always indicate either a failed port on a Gb switch; or a bad cable pair in the Ethernet cabling ... which causes the link to degrade to 100Mb speed (which is very likely what's happening here).

Since you're having the same issue with two different computers, replace all the cables that are common to both transfers -- i.e. the cable from UnRAID to your router; possibly a cable between your UPS and server; etc.    You might also change to a different port on the router to see if you happen to have a defective port.

No wireless! It is all wired through CAT7 cables.

300Mbps is a very strange speed for a router if you are not talking about wireless!  I have never seen wired connections quoted at anything other than 10/100/1000MBps.

I had the same thought -- I presume he's quoting the wireless speed of the router; but using the wired ports.    Actually that brings up another thought ==> does this router have a Gb switch?    ... if it's only a 100Mb switch, then that instantly explains your connection speeds.

If that's the case, all you need is a Gb switch -- connect one of the switch ports to the router; and all your other devices (computers and UnRAID server) to the switch, and your speeds will instantly improve  :)

I am thinking about having TP-LINK TL-SG1008D.  Do you have any idea what speed will I have then?

I am thinking about having TP-LINK TL-SG1008D.  Do you have any idea what speed will I have then?

Depends on the specific disks you have in your server; but with modern drives you'll typically get writes to the protected array in the 30-40MB/s range ... possibly a bit faster (mid 40's) if you have all 1TB/platter drives.    If you have a cache drive, the speeds will be even better ... 2 to 3 times as fast.

Are you sure the ports on the router are not rated at 1Gbps?  If so then there is no gain from buying a switch.

I noted that earlier ...

... if it's only a 100Mb switch, then that instantly explains your connection speeds.

... and assume that he wouldn't be buying a Gb switch unless that was the case.

However ... it's trivial to confirm ==> muon:  What are you READ speeds from the array?  If they're also limited to the 10MB/s range, then clearly your router only has 100Mb ports.  If they're faster, then the issue is something besides the router ports [if that's the case, pay close attention to what I said earlier about switching the cables and perhaps trying a different port].

He should just tell us the model of his router.

Agree it would be useful to know the make/model of the router.

I would be surprised if a 300mbps wireless doesn't have gigabit wired ports.

There are many low-cost N300 routers that don't have Gb switch ports [Linksys E1200-NP,  D-Link DIR-615,  TrendNet TEW-731BR,  NetGear WNR2000-100NAS,  etc.]

From what i tried to decode from the Korean brochure, my understanding is as follows. LAN 100M, WAN upto 165M, WLAN 300M. But since the most informative parts are images, it's not possible to verify by google translate. 

http://www.iptime.co.kr/~iptime/prd.php?pf=3&page=&pt=129&pd=1

If you click on the links for some of the fancier models, they clearly say gigabit in english in the description. So, I'd say you are accurate in your analyses.

OP just needs a gigabit switch with enough ports for all his wired equipment plus 1 port to link to the router. 

The router's specs are really irrelevant here.
Quite the contrary, the router specs are the only reason to have this discussion. If his router had a properly functioning gig switch built in, then the speed issue lies elsewhere. Since his router is only 10/100, the first step is to get a gig switch in place, and see if it solves the issue. 99.999 sure that it will, but without the router specs, we didn't even know to tell him that he needed the switch. If the router had been gigabit capable, and he added a switch, it wouldn't have solved the issue because the problem lay elsewhere. He would have spent the money and still had the problem.