UPS: Usually APC. What about Prolink?

Shunz

It seems that the apcupsd - APC UPS Daemon may support UPS of other brands.

Can it?

There is a description Under Cable Type:(smart/usb/dumb/ether): Use "smart" for APC UPS, "usb" for some other brands, "dumb" for others with appropriate cable to serial port, "ether" to slave off of apcupsd running on another server.

I'm considering buying one of these to try out:

http://www.prolink2u.com/new/products/index.php?cid=374

I know APC is the recommended brand, but because it forces me to use male/female PSU connectors instead of the regular power plugs (I need a 90-degree one, as my server needs to be close to a wall), the Prolink seems more attractive.

UPS_options.png.b5549de33427751e922b2cbb61d3dd70.png

Can't say for sure, but I do know that the APC UPS daemon supports many other brands besides APC.  Personally I've used it with APC, CyberPower, and Belkin ... and others have used a few other models.

Since the basic UPS communications protocol is fairly standard, I suspect the ProLink will work just fine with the APS control package in UnRAID ... but the only way to absolutely confirm that is to just try it.

Can't say for sure, but I do know that the APC UPS daemon supports many other brands besides APC.  Personally I've used it with APC, CyberPower, and Belkin ... and others have used a few other models.

Since the basic UPS communications protocol is fairly standard, I suspect the ProLink will work just fine with the APS control package in UnRAID ... but the only way to absolutely confirm that is to just try it.

Oh? Its a standard protocol? Ahhh, yeah it should work then... I think I'm gonna give it a shot. Heh thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it is too early to say, but I don't think the Prolink seems to be working, at least at the moment.

On Sysinfo UPS Status tab:

(from /sbin/apcaccess status)

Error contacting apcupsd @ localhost:3551: Connection refused

Syslog:

Aug 26 02:38:17 unraid apcupsd[3286]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in linux-usb.c at line 609 Cannot find UPS device -- For a link to detailed USB trouble shooting information, please see <http://www.apcupsd.com/support.html>.  (Errors)

Aug 26 02:38:17 unraid apcupsd[3286]: apcupsd error shutdown completed (Errors)

Syslog usb re-plugging

Aug 26 02:30:22 unraid kernel: usb 3-3: new low-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd (Drive related)

Aug 26 02:30:22 unraid kernel: hid-generic 0003:0665:5161.0005: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [iNNO TECH USB to Serial] on usb-0000:00:14.0-3/input0 (Drive related)

I've tried looking around for information for the past 2 hours, can't find anything yet. The only thing I thought I could do - but didn't help - was to change the "use serial port?" to /dev/hiddev0

Well, APCUPSD is officially designed just for APC units; but as I noted earlier, many other brands support the same signaling protocols -- I know for certain, for example, that it will work with CyberPower and Belkin units (although Belkin units are no longer available in the US).

It may simply be that Prolink doesn't support this ... but first try a few different versions of APCUPSD.    Did you install this using UnMenu?  That's usually the best way to ensure you have the right version.

If Prolink isn't support, I'd just buy an actual APC unit, as APCUPSD will work with ANY of their models.

• 5 years later...