SFP+ install

unRAID 5.0

Case: NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case (24 x 3TB HDDs, 69TB of usable storage with one dedicated 3TB parity drive)

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

Power: CORSAIR TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Controller: SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI-Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller

Memory: 2x Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333

This is my current build. I just recently installed a SFP+ card to install a 10g fiber adapter.

SFP+ Intel X520-DA2

SFP+ module Intel E10GSFPSR

When i install and hook up everything,

ethtool eth0 and ifconfig shows that 10g adapter is connected, using the right driver and right IP address.

ethtool eth1 shows 1g onboard adapter unplugged

ethtool eth2 shows 2port of SFP+

the only problem is that i can not get to, or ping the server in this way. I've tried following the 2 network card config guide on here. Ive tried disabling the 1gb adapter in the motherboard.

I wondering if anyone else has tried to do 10g cards in unraid via SFP+ and fiber. i have trolled these forums quit a pit for SFP topics and i get like two threads.

This might be teaching you to suck eggs but....

I would check :-

Light is coming out of both SFP's

Light is coming out of both ends of the Fibre when attached to the SFP.

The Polarity of the cable is correct.  ie light needs to come out of the cable into the hole where no light is coming from in the SFP.

You have the correct cable type ie  Multimode vs Single Mode

Probably you will get link lights just like a normal ethernet if the cable is connected... if those come up then I would say it is most likely an OS issue.

Are you connecting to a switch?  What does the switch end say?  Does it go conencted / UP?

nope, not sucking eggs. If i can't get this to work i will be converting my current unRaid NAS to something else and my NAS will be something that can handle these cards.

I'm pretty sure the Link state is fine ,but ill swapping transceivers to make sure its not that simple.

i've used this setup in windows, and ubuntu, SUSE, and soon on a Mac. i've checked the drivers that unraid is using and checked intels web site and everything check out.*link below

Im connected to a netgear smart switch with 4 sfp+.

everything i have probed in the CLi for link is fine. ethtool reports a link state of up, I did do it kind of fast and i noticed that the unraid network stack services take a little bit to start responding to ping after boot.

Server network setup

Intel X520-DA2 Dual Ports 10 Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter, PCI Express 2.0 x8, Low Profile

Intel E10GSFPSR Ethernet SFP+ SR Optics

Network setup

NETGEAR AXM761-10000S 10Gbps PROSAFE SFP+ LC GBIC

NETGEAR ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with 4 10G SFP+ slots - 2nd

3m 60/120 triplight cable

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-032530.htm

intels driver support site for the driver that was being used by unraid.

upgrading in phases. soon it will SSD drives, and possibly raid card.  If a simple 10g network card can't work at all on unraid then there is no point in continuing to use this product or upgrade this server. Even if my  current IO benchmark cant hit 10g speed, if unRaid can't support a 10g card what would be the point of doing SSDs arrays and caching or performance tweaking. If reaching 1g+ speed was never the intent of unRaid, that is super good information to know.

this is a Post house so  theres other things going on that i need this for.

Update, This Everything works. SFP+ card with the Switch. the SFP+ port I was using was in stacking mode. Once I fixed that everything works. If your looking for a SFP+ Solution the x520-DA2 works with unraid.

Update, this might be the wrong place to place what i just did here.