Section 508 Compliance (webGUI Indicator Support for Color Blind Users)

SSD

unRAID uses color to denote meaning and would be inaccessible to users with disabilities.

Users like me, with red/green color blindness, are not able to see when a disk is red balled. About 10% of males are red/green color blind.

Or you could use different SHAPES in addition to different COLORS to designate state. 

Or the hover text could show the state of that disk, and not a list of all of the states.

I have to use myMain to tell if a disk is "red balled". It shades the whole row and changes the drive icon.

unRAID uses color to denote meaning and would be inaccessible to users with disabilities.

Users like me, with red/green color blindness, are not able to see when a disk is red balled. About 10% of males are red/green color blind.

Or you could use different SHAPES in addition to different COLORS to designate state. 

Or the hover text could show the state of that disk, and not a list of all of the states.

I have to use myMain to tell if a disk is "red balled". It shades the whole row and changes the drive icon.

Thank you for sharing this and we will look to address this as soon as possible.

... the hover text could show the state of that disk ...

I definitely like this one.  Although it may also be useful to use a different shape (perhaps a * instead of a circle) so the user knows he should point to it to see the state.    Then a quick glance to see if there are any "different" symbols would let a user know whether or not he needed to check for more detail.

Add my support, definitely necessary and seems like something that would be easy to do. 

I am very color blind.

My color blindness is not severe. And if I see a large sample of red and a large sample of green I CAN tell the difference. But with a tiny image I can't. Blue is clear but other colors (red, green, orange) all get muddled and I can't differentiate.

(Note this applies to all screen showing these color statuses - including the "Shares" page.)

Please consider mobile browsers in any solution as for example what seems logical on a desktop can become clunky on a phone.

This obviously could take you into a whole new ticket of accessibility in general but this is a good place to start as you mean to continue.

Sound idea.

Maybe however we should just use a free set that mirrors what people are already used to such as (random google):

http://www.jankoatwarpspeed.com/sixpack-status-free-icon-pack/

sixpack_status_icons.jpg

?!?!?! Wait what?  I mean people have dealt with this problem before?  And have come up with reasonable solutions?

;)  Sorry this theme has come up a bunch lately IRL so I was just amused.  Good find!!

I like them to. myMain has been doing something similar for years ...

Hover text gives precise meaning for each icon.

(Note this isn't a real array, it is a sort of demo mode that randomly picks the icons. Normally you'd see all check marks on the array disks, and a red X if a disk were kicked from the array.)

myMain_Icons.JPG.fe3c9c86bb085c42a7efbd849081d7b2.JPG

• 9 years later...

This is almost a decade old now. I'm kind of surprised this has sat this long. Its just an icon change. And 508/ADA compliance carries legal liability.  Especially with new features like Unraid Connect pushing unraid into the SaaS space a bit, I think there is some significant risk if accessibility is not addressed. In addition to liability, having better accessibility may open Unraid to additional markets where companies or governments may currently be more strictly legally prohibited from using non-compliant software, even where lime can get away with it. Obviously just changing the icon per this request would not fix all accessibility issues. But that even such a simple change is being left undone implies much worse issues are also being ignored.