NFS v4

Seriously, what is the advantage of NFS over SMB?

Permission management.

users and groups are retained per the read/writing process and not the smbmount permissions.

This is mostly important when using autofs for home filesystems and is probably a more advanced usage,

I have a number of Solaris and Linux virtual machines.

The virtual machines have the OS on the SSD flash but every other filesystem is automounted via autofs with NFS onto the unRAID server.

For me it's important because I work with Solaris 8 , 10 and a few different Linux distros.

I have to compile the source on each platform to insure compatibility.

Proper UNIX permissions matter.

I find it's much snappier to mount via NFS in XBMC.  Also I've found smb in Gotham to be problematic in that it thinks the share is down when Windows can browse it no problem, preforming a library clean-up results in loosing everything.

Ironically, I've had more success with mounting via CIFS from my ubuntu VMs due to the stale file handle bug or whatever.  This might not be an issue anymore.

Ironically, I've had more success with mounting via CIFS from my ubuntu VMs due to the stale file handle bug or whatever.  This might not be an issue anymore.

Almost certainly it is still an issue, which is why it would be good to have nfsv4 available for those clients which support it.

I'm not experiencing issues with NFS, however I use it almost exclusively for all my shared libraries for XBMC.

I had heard that the Raspberry Pi can have issues with high bitrate streaming with Samba, and not an issue with NFS so that's what I use.

I believe JonP has said in another thread he uses it exclusively, so I'm not sure his reason.

For info almost all XBMC related NFS > CIFS is internet or implementation FUD.

That is not to say NFS is not better than CIFS or vice versa but XBMC is not the sole usage case to justtify its inclusion.

The justifications for inclusion need only begin and end with this:

Permission management.

users and groups are retained per the read/writing process and not the smbmount permissions.

and

In an environment with no Microsoft systems, it doesn't make sense to use SMB.

Funny "permission management" is mentioned - this has always been one of the major weaknesses of NFS.

How is it a weakness?

A person with uid/gid on one system gets mapped to the same uid/gid on the file server.

They stay aligned. If the uid/gid in the passwd files are out of sync, that's the problem, not the actual permission themselves.

Then there is root who is the superuser for everything unless you squash it.

I manage a whole series of virtual machines all NFS mounting home directories to a single server.

We don't have issues with it. It's not weak. It's keeps the unix permissions, uid/gid in sync as it should.

NFS allows me to stream my ripped blurays to my raspberry Pi via XBMC without any pauses for buffering.

EDIT: Forgot to add that SMB does not allow for this due to what I assume is the higher overhead needed on the raspberry Pi.