New 6TB WD Red Problems

It's interesting that you are getting a read error on the long test, but not seeing any reallocated or pending sectors.

The multizone errors are a bit of a wildcard. I have seen them occasionally and every once in a while they point to a serious issue not detected by other attributes.

If the drive is new you may be able to return it and get a new one. Although I expect that you may get a new one from the RMA given how new they are.

This is probably an isolated incident, but the 6TB Red are 20% more dense than the next highest density platter, and with the tighter tolerances may wind up generating more issues than other drives. Only time will tell.

It's interesting that you are getting a read error on the long test, but not seeing any reallocated or pending sectors.

The multizone errors are a bit of a wildcard. I have seen them occasionally and every once in a while they point to a serious issue not detected by other attributes.

If the drive is new you may be able to return it and get a new one. Although I expect that you may get a new one from the RMA given how new they are.

This is probably an isolated incident, but the 6TB Red are 20% more dense than the next highest density platter, and with the tighter tolerances may wind up generating more issues than other drives. Only time will tell.

Not gonna take the chance.  I could return them but since I bought them online it's easier for me to just RMA them through WD.  Thanks for the tips though.

Please keep us updated on how the drives work.  I want to get some also when I need new drives and would be interested in how the hold up.

The long test should be completed shortly, and I'll update this thread.  Other than that they have (seemingly) run perfect.  They run nice and cool, and the speeds saturate my gigabit ethernet so no complaints from me.

I did run into a problem in that I had them formatted to ext4 and it was only showing 5.1TB of free space, but when I tried out XFS it reported 5.5TB free of space.  I'm not sure if its these drives or if ext4 has some type of extra overhead.  I should note that these two drives are not in my unraid build and I haven't tried formatting them to resierFS to check.

Why are you doing an RMA if you only got them in the last week? Take it or send it back to where it was purchased and get a new replacement.

If you RMA your likely to just get a refurb as a replacement. Personally I don't trust refurb drives.

Mark