FTP Server - WebGUI options

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I still feel these are internet facing feature requests which people should not be doing.

Public facing FTP servers should be containerized within docker if people plan to do it and the burden not placed on the core os.

This is safer and saves effort since there are plenty of projects to control FTP servers

I still feel these are internet facing feature requests which people should not be doing.

Public facing FTP servers should be containerized within docker if people plan to do it and the burden not placed on the core os.

This is safer and saves effort since there are plenty of projects to control FTP servers

I would take a Docker that give all that features, but can't find any.  I prefer to have it built-in because it's a Core functionality, like on QNAP, Synology, OpenMediaVault, etc.

So I tend to agree with NAS here but FTP is a protocol supported in our webgui today. What we need to decide is whether or not we want to continue supporting the ftp protocol as a core OS function or if we recommend ftp access be accomplished through use of a docker container.  I am leaning towards the latter, but not sure yet.

This topic needs further thought and analysis by the team, but I'd also like to hear feedback from others (especially those that use ftp on unraid already).

I'll provide feedback for me.  Currently, I just can't use the Unraid built-in FTP because my main usage for FTP is to provide access to some friends (on the Internet) and not on my LAN. 

I was shocked to see that this basic feature was so lacking on Unraid (seeing that everything else was so good!).  I come from a QNAP NAS box with a very feature-rich WebGUI.  One of the WebGUI page is to configure some basic stuff for FTP like Throttling (Upload or Download), What Ports to Use, etc.  I also evaluate some other Nas-OS (OpenMediaVault, FreeNas, etc.).  One that seems to offer the most for FTP configuration in a webUI is OpenMediaVault (you can see the screenshots I put in here).

If all the FTP feature could be inside a docker that has a webUI page to configure and Control FTP Service, I don't see it as a problem and I could live with it, but if you start thinking about moving FTP service from Core function to Docker, will you do the same for other services ? (SMB, NFS, AFP, etc.).

If you just remove the support of FTP and not provide or maintain any Docker to provide FTP service, I think it could also be a problem that you just dump on your customers.  I think that going docker is OK if you can provide the docker that includes a webUI to do the config and not just a .xml to edit manually (that can lead to misconfiguration).

What other NAS-OS offer (interesting readings for ideas) :

Synology:  https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/tutorials/567  (lots of screenshots)

QNAP : http://www.qnap.com/i/useng/trade_teach/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=25

OpenMediaVault : (see screenshots)

FreeNAS : http://olddoc.freenas.org/index.php/FTP

• Like 1

I'll provide feedback for me.  Currently, I just can't use the Unraid built-in FTP because my main usage for FTP is to provide access to some friends (on the Internet) and not on my LAN. 

I was shocked to see that this basic feature was so lacking on Unraid (seeing that everything else was so good!).  I come from a QNAP NAS box with a very feature-rich WebGUI.  One of the WebGUI page is to configure some basic stuff for FTP like Throttling (Upload or Download), What Ports to Use, etc.  I also evaluate some other Nas-OS (OpenMediaVault, FreeNas, etc.).  One that seems to offer the most for FTP configuration in a webUI is OpenMediaVault (you can see the screenshots I put in here).

If all the FTP feature could be inside a docker that has a webUI page to configure and Control FTP Service, I don't see it as a problem and I could live with it, but if you start thinking about moving FTP service from Core function to Docker, will you do the same for other services ? (SMB, NFS, AFP, etc.).

If you just remove the support of FTP and not provide or maintain any Docker to provide FTP service, I think it could also be a problem that you just dump on your customers.  I think that going docker is OK if you can provide the docker that includes a webUI to do the config and not just a .xml to edit manually (that can lead to misconfiguration).

What other NAS-OS offer (interesting readings for ideas) :

Synology:  https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/tutorials/567  (lots of screenshots)

QNAP : http://www.qnap.com/i/useng/trade_teach/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=25

OpenMediaVault : (see screenshots)

FreeNAS : http://olddoc.freenas.org/index.php/FTP

Hi Pducharme!  Fun chatting with you on twitter the other day!  I have to say that I've spent some time thinking about this and got to say I just don't see a need to prioritize this.  There are plenty of other file transmission / sharing solutions that offer the functionality you desire such as ownCloud, BT Sync, Transmission, and if you want secure connectivity, pair their use with OpenVPN.  FTP is just a legacy approach to these more modern solutions.  I realize that sometimes folks just love a "tried and true" solution, but the bigger issue here is the desire for prioritization of this feature enhancement.  There are other more pressing features that are going to take priority ahead of this one that affect a wider base of users.

Now there is potential for a Docker container in the future to be available to handle this function, but I think it's just too early to be even discussing time-frame for this.  You should definitely contribute your desires for one in the Docker forum to see if someone in the community may be willing to help and provide.

Thank you for the reply.

I did try the other solution, it's just not stable enough for large file (15-40GB).  With FTP, you can at least resume the transfer.  I'll stick to my BulletProof FTP server in a Windows VM until I found a great WebUI for ProFTPd, PureFTPd or VSFTPd and will migrate to a Linux VM at that point.

Maybe Off-Topic, but I have lots of issue with BT Sync in a docker, I had to go back to the Plugin but it still not work great.  Maybe there is a way to "reset" the Sync List... It's what I was using to Copy new stuff to my Backup unraid server that I boot once a month.  Will now have to find a solution to that :(

Thank you for the reply.

I did try the other solution, it's just not stable enough for large file (15-40GB).  With FTP, you can at least resume the transfer.  I'll stick to my BulletProof FTP server in a Windows VM until I found a great WebUI for ProFTPd, PureFTPd or VSFTPd and will migrate to a Linux VM at that point.

Maybe Off-Topic, but I have lots of issue with BT Sync in a docker, I had to go back to the Plugin but it still not work great.  Maybe there is a way to "reset" the Sync List... It's what I was using to Copy new stuff to my Backup unraid server that I boot once a month.  Will now have to find a solution to that :(

Docker is continuing to improve it's technology stack and in doing so, we will hopefully see an improvement to the functionality in containers as well.

• 3 years later...

So I've just found out about unRaid only few days ago, played with it a lot and I was converted to it's idea instantly. This is the best thing in NAS software that I found in years.. until I found out about the poor FTP feature. So sad to see you have finally dumped the idea of advancing the FTP server. SMB and FTP are the essential services I just need in a NAS. Just like Pducharme, I was so happy when everything else in unRaid worked so great.. I tried to give both SlrG's FTP apps a chance, spent many hours with it, but it's not an option.

It almost makes me cry that I finally will not be able to use unRaid because of this. :) Well, I hope some day..

Edited by Maik

@Mailk:    As was mentioned you can run the Linux FTP server of your choice within a docker.    With good support for dockers in unRAID it makes much less sense than it used to for FRP to be in the core product.     In fact I think that there is even a good case for removing the support that is present;ly there from the core product.

The recommended way is to use a FTP server running in a Docker container (when the OP wrote his request Docker wasn't available yet).

The built-in FTP function is only there for compatability reasons, but I am wondering how many users really use the built-in FTP server?

Edited by bonienl
The recommended way is to use a FTP server running in a Docker container (when the OP wrote his request Docker wasn't available yet).

The built-in FTP function is only there for compatability reasons, but I am wondering how many users really use the built-in FTP server?

I do, i use it to sync pictures from mobile to server, sure I could create a docker container but can't be arsed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 1/14/2018 at 12:32 AM, woble said:

If preferred way is docker or even a full blown VM, why not remove FTP from unRAID completely. In its current limited state it's pretty much useless from my own experience.

I have disabled FTP on my unRaid. When not using it, better disable it. ;)

But I also know some cases needs the FTP. So instead of removing it altogether, why not disable it as default?

• 4 weeks later...

For me, I finally switched to ProFTPd plug-in.  I then configure it with the conf file and create some Read Only chrooted shares.  Then, with the plugin, you can create a Unraid User (thru the "users" GUI of Unraid WebUI), and in the description, you put "ftpuser /path/to/the/root/you/want".   After that, you restart the plugins and it worked.   I used that because I wanted a full encrypted FTP server, so I use my SSL certification and my FTP requires "Explicit FTP over TLS".  This is working very well!