Bridging with multiple ETH/nic interfaces

Am I right in thinking you have an IBM branded Intel Quad NIC? I had one passed completely through to a pfSense VM and had uPnP issues with online gaming where it would disconnect me after five minutes or so, so if uPnP is important to your network you may want to consider bare metal instead. Granted, I was using all four ports (WAN, LAN, and two additional WiFi APs). When I was using an Intel dual NIC card in a VM it was fine.

These are the relevant bits for passthrough:

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
07:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
08:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

Try passing just 08:00.0 & 08:00.1 to the VM using this sticky. It may work... it may not.

Story of my life.  Doesn't seem to work.  I need to hook up a monitor to get to the BIOS & take a look at the NICs I have.  A 100Mbit NIC would be fine for the WAN.. I believe I may have some 3Com NICs from 15-20 years ago.

A 100Mbit NIC would be fine for the WAN..

Unless you are segregating your wireless network on that segment (ie: your wan router serves as a wireless AP too). In that case 100mbit will be tight pretty much soon :)

I believe I may have some 3Com NICs from 15-20 years ago.

Be careful, you are getting way too close to legacy land :)

I checked my stock, I have some newer Intel quad ports, Intel dual ports, a Broadcom quad port, a few 10/100 3Com 3C905B (a very, very popular card in its time.. I would be extremely surprised if this was NOT supported).  Obviously all PCIe except the 3Com.

So, I googled it.. example, pci-stub.ids=8086:153b  .. 8086 is the vendor ID for Intel, 153b is actually the product ID.  So you are blacklisting a specific model of Intel from the OS.  I could put a different adapter in made by Intel and it should not be blacklisted?

Reason I brought up the 10/100 card, is my internet is 18/3Mbps.. and the 10/100 card could actually have a use for my 1 PCI slot.  I would not mind using it for the WAN port.

I wouldn't mind using the Realtek either, I just really, really prefer Intel or Broadcom in *nix.  I do server administration on VMware & Windows Server for a living.

And you are right: 3com is way better the Realtek, hands down.

Thought be careful of "old" hardware:?i had a glitch on a 10/100 3com board that was hard to troubleshoot, until I moved to a newer Intel board.

Yeah, Intel boards are quite something :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...