Container for No-IP dynamic DNS updates

4 hours ago, toolmanz said:

Can anybody tell me or provide a step by step on how to install a compiler on Unraid?

My setup:

Dell R710 server with Unraid latest;

Usual assortment of dockers; Nextcloud, Sonarr, Radarr .....

48 Gb memory and 12 cores/24 threads

Runs well and haven't had a major problems - except those of my own making 😁....

I use a reverse proxy using a service called "NO-IP" to handle the redirections. And when my ISP graciously changes my IP - all my proxies don't work.

I want to install their Linux Dynamic Update Client (DUC) on the server to periodically check that the IP address hasn't changed (my dumb ISP just can't seem to keep my ip static .....🤬

I have the NOIP package etc. but whenever I try to run make install it tells me:

sudo make install
sudo: make: command not found

I assume this means I don't have gcc or some such not installed. Tried everything with no joy....

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thats the last step before getting the client installed .....😭

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions.....

I also posted at: 

Cheers

toolmanz

Have you tried installing the docker from the community apps?

• 1 month later...

Hello, hoping someone can help me with this.  I've tried the config option via environment variables, but for some reason the daemon fails to start.  I guess because it's still loking for the config file even though all variables were passed already?

command with variables:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='NoIp' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'USERNAME'='acosmichippo' -e 'PASSWORD'='_______' -e 'DOMAINS'='ddns.net' -e 'INTERVAL'='60m' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/NoIp':'/config':'rw' 'coppit/no-ip'

log:

All required settings passed as environment variables. Skipping config file creation.
Started runsvdir, PID is 13. Waiting for processes to start....
[Jul 18 00:57:48] Launching the noip2 daemon
Can't locate configuration file /config/no-ip2.generated.conf. (Try -c). Ending!

run: noip: (pid 16) 5s
[Jul 18 00:57:53] Current status
Can't locate configuration file /config/no-ip2.generated.conf. (Try -c). Ending!
[Jul 18 00:57:53] ERROR: noip2 daemon has stopped running. Restarting it in 60 seconds.

Thank you for any tips!

Edited by acosmichippo
  • 1 month later...
On 7/17/2021 at 8:35 PM, acosmichippo said:

Hello, hoping someone can help me with this.  I've tried the config option via environment variables, but for some reason the daemon fails to start.  I guess because it's still loking for the config file even though all variables were passed already?

command with variables:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='NoIp' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'USERNAME'='acosmichippo' -e 'PASSWORD'='_______' -e 'DOMAINS'='ddns.net' -e 'INTERVAL'='60m' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/NoIp':'/config':'rw' 'coppit/no-ip'

log:

All required settings passed as environment variables. Skipping config file creation.
Started runsvdir, PID is 13. Waiting for processes to start....
[Jul 18 00:57:48] Launching the noip2 daemon

run: noip: (pid 16) 5s
[Jul 18 00:57:53] Current status
[Jul 18 00:57:53] ERROR: noip2 daemon has stopped running. Restarting it in 60 seconds.

Thank you for any tips!

Within the container you need to navigate to /config and then edit the file noip.conf  Once you put the relevant information in, restart the container and it should auto create the no-ip2.generated.conf file for you.

vi /config/noip.conf

enter username and password for noip

example:

/config # cat noip.conf
# This is an email address
USERNAME='putyourusernamehere'

PASSWORD='putyourpasswordhere'

# Your hostname, group name, or a comma-delimited list of a mix of them.
DOMAINS='host1,host2,host3'

# Examples: 5 m, 5 h, 5 d. Minimum is 5 minutes.
INTERVAL='30m'

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tymarand

• 5 months later...

Sorry, that doesn´t work for me.

I edited the noip.conf file like above, but following error occurs.

Started runsvdir, PID is 21. Waiting for processes to start....
[Mar 07 19:33:14] Launching the noip2 daemon

run: noip: (pid 24) 5s
[Mar 07 19:33:19] Current status
[Mar 07 19:33:19] ERROR: noip2 daemon has stopped running. Restarting it in 60 seconds.

I also tried to rename the noip.conf file into "no--ip2.generated.conf", which also didn´t work, same issue.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 12:42 PM, Mariuh84 said:

Sorry, that doesn´t work for me.

I edited the noip.conf file like above, but following error occurs.

Started runsvdir, PID is 21. Waiting for processes to start....
[Mar 07 19:33:14] Launching the noip2 daemon

run: noip: (pid 24) 5s
[Mar 07 19:33:19] Current status
[Mar 07 19:33:19] ERROR: noip2 daemon has stopped running. Restarting it in 60 seconds.

I also tried to rename the noip.conf file into "no--ip2.generated.conf", which also didn´t work, same issue.

Little late on the party, but I was running into a similar issue. Don't rename your config to /config/no-ip2.generated.conf, that'll break it. But for me I was running into an issue as I had multiple domains. There should be an error further up. Putting it here in case you're running into something similar, but you may need to do "-.domain.ex" if you're running into this.

• 6 months later...

I'm not super familiar with Docker or Linux for that matter. The command I ran was like this:

docker run \
--name=no-ip \
-d \
-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime \
-v /config/dir/path:/config \
-e USERNAME='[email protected]' \
-e PASSWORD='XxxxxYyyyZzzz' \
-e DOMAINS='xyz.serveminecraft.net' \
-e INTERVAL='30m' coppit/no-ip

and somehow the error persists. The line "-v /config/dir/path:/config" seems to be the source of the error right now.  Running this command gives me the following message:

docker: Error response from daemon: Mounts denied: 
The path /config/dir/path is not shared from the host and is not known to Docker.
You can configure shared paths from Docker -> Preferences... -> Resources -> File Sharing.
See https://docs.docker.com/ for more info.

So I'm back to square one. System seems to pull the image correctly, everythhing should be working.

Unless this is a permissions issue -- could it be that this command is used with 'sudo' and that is why the path '/config' is unrecognized? 
I don't want to run this container as root, so I would not run 'sudo docker run - blablabla'. 

Anything else I can try here?

• 6 months later...

I wasn having the same issues that I looked at the logs and it was showing "update <mydomainname.com> N/y" so I added the following line to the config file after the domain line: UPDATE='Y' and boom it started working.  

# This is an email address
USERNAME='MYUSERNAME'
PASSWORD='MYPASSWORD'

# Your hostname, group name, or a comma-delimited list of a mix of them.
DOMAINS='MyGroup'

UPDATE='Y'  <---- ADDED THIS LINE AND IT GENERATED THE CONF FILE AFTER THE FIRST RUN

# Examples: 5 m, 5 h, 5 d. Minimum is 5 minutes.
INTERVAL='30m'

Edited by KiiskiDR
  • 1 month later...

First off, thanks to the author of this docker and to the members who provided the instructions for setup. It was a very easy setup after reading through this thread.

I was wondering if the noip.conf can be edited to update two domains from separate noip accounts? If so, do you just duplicate the info a second time with the second account info? 

• 7 months later...

for everyone having issues with not being able to create no-ip2.generated.conf,

check your group settings in NO-IP.

I had a group set in NO-IP that I forgot,

and in the config file I only put in my hostnames,

and the script actually tells me to go delete the group on NO-IP,

after that no-ip2.generated.conf gets created successfully.