Container for No-IP dynamic DNS updates

On 10/5/2019 at 11:12 AM, cwebb said:

hi all this might be a stupid questin but where does no-ip go in the router or in the unraid server as i am confused with all this domains and subdomains 

well if your router supports it you can have it on your router (Not this container, but just manually added), or you can add this container and have it run in unraid, its up to you how you want it set up and what your trying to accomplish. 

If you can provide more info on what the goal is we might be better able to answer.

Also I can confirm that the IP address does not update according to intervals. Docker must be stopped and restarted for the change to take effect.

I have my settings at 5m to update. noip.com does not show any updates after the start of the docker. I have also manually chnaged the IP/Target in noip.com to a VPN IP to see if it would update not that its different. Still no update pushed. but I can see in the log that it should update every 5 mins.

It almost seems like it just checking what the last update ip was and comparing it to the current ip rather than just pushing it through. Is this the case?

Process 56, started as noip2-x86_64 -c /config/no-ip2.generated.conf, (version 2.1.9)

Using configuration from /config/no-ip2.generated.conf
Last IP Address set **.***.***.**
Account *****@gmail.com
configured for:
host *****.ddns.net
Updating every 5 minutes via /dev/eth0 with NAT enabled.
[Oct 09 19:13:42] Current status
1 noip2-x86_64 process active.

Process 56, started as noip2-x86_64 -c /config/no-ip2.generated.conf, (version 2.1.9)

Last IP Address set **.***.***.**
Account *****@gmail.com
configured for:
host *****.ddns.net
[Oct 09 19:13:42] Current status

• 2 months later...

In case someone else runs into it, the noip.conf generated template from first-run (for me at least) ended up generating a misleading set of instructions.  Above the interval line, the examples had a space between the value and the unit of measurement.  At the time, there wasn't an explicit version number available, but as of Dec-13-2019, the Docker definition was last updated "A Year Ago."

# Examples: 5 m, 5 h, 5 d. Minimum is 5 minutes.
INTERVAL='2 h'

Including said space results in the container refusing to remain running, with the following being logged.

INTERVAL must be a number followed by m, h, or d. Example: 5m
run-parts: /etc/run_once/parse_config_file: exit status 2
Run-once scripts failed. Stopping container

Shutting down container...
fail: noip: runsv not running
sh: you need to specify whom to kill

Removing the space (between the value and the unit of measure) from the interval resolved my issue, and updates claim to be trying to happen for me.  It looks like I still will need to click on the email link every few weeks to prevent the host from expiring, but that's from me being cheap and using the free tier of no-ip.

# Examples: 5 m, 5 h, 5 d. Minimum is 5 minutes.
INTERVAL='2h'

• 1 month later...

I am unsure if anyone else has this issue and I am happy to provide any logs that would help diagnose my issue. However the No-IP docker is not auto-starting as it should be after my unraid server is restarted from the dashboard. I have to manually trigger the auto-start. Please let me know if there is a fix for this. 

• 1 month later...

i installed this docker and then uninstalled after i changed my mind. now i keep getting this error Apr 1 22:42:51 Hell nginx: 2020/04/01 22:42:51 [error] 9716#9716: *1157490 connect() to unix:/var/tmp/NoIp.sock failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.168.1.198, server: , request: "GET /dockerterminal/NoIp/ws HTTP/1.1", upstream: "http://unix:/var/tmp/NoIp.sock:/ws", host: "hell.local"

• 4 weeks later...

Bjur, its  not for that. No.

It is only to inform noip that your isp has changed your internet facing ip address., because your ip is dynamic and can change anytime your isp wants to change it.

I tried this container, but did not work for me.

• failed on not finding my domain.
  • Created strange looking auto genterated conf files each time i restarted.

I found a way to make this happen directly from my mikrotik router. So no need at this time.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:43 AM, Bjur said:

Okay thanks for the reply. I manually change it when my ISP IP change, which is not that often, but the NO-IP renewal would be nice to handle automatically.

I would recommend DuckDNS over No-Ip. I thought No-Ip was my only option as it was the only choice for my router. It seemed too complicated to have it update via additional scripts than to just automate.

no matter what I do this container will not update my domains. It never creates the no-ip2.generated.conf file it runs one time then never runs again. It will not even attempt to update my main domain just the sub domains.  I would like to use this app but as of now it is not working. Any help would be appreciated. 

These are the errors:

"4 hosts or groups were supposed to be updated, but only 3 were found
Please enter an update interval:[30] Failed to create noip2 configuration file /config/no-ip2.generated.conf. Exiting
run-parts: /etc/run_once/parse_config_file: exit status 4
Run-once scripts failed. Stopping container

Shutting down container...
fail: noip: runsv not running
sh: you need to specify whom to kill"

So the main domain with no sub diamin never is found the time interval, which is set and no "/config/no-ip2.generated.conf" file is generated and the whole thing stops.

Edited by medic6578
  • 4 weeks later...

hi

Last IP Address set 93.176.xx.xx
Account toto
configured for:
host toto.ddns.net
[May 30 18:17:24] Current status

Process 52, started as noip2-x86_64 -c /config/no-ip2.generated.conf, (version 2.1.9)

but on the interface on no-ip inside dynamic-dns, the last update date not changing ? why

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 11:03 AM, Waddoo said:

Go to page one of this thread. No-IP requires interactive setup. 

Please can you clarify this? I went to page 1 and saw no instructions.

I've got mine registering to the group on my no-ip, but it doesn't set it an IP;

Process 52, started as noip2-x86_64 -c /config/no-ip2.generated.conf, (version 2.1.9)

Last IP Address set 0.0.0.0
Account [email protected]
configured for:
group NETGEAR-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Updating every 30 minutes via /dev/eth0 with NAT enabled.
[May 08 23:37:39] Current status

Edited by bigdan1190
2 hours ago, bigdan1190 said:

Please can you clarify this? I went to page 1 and saw no instructions.

I've got mine registering to the group on my no-ip, but it doesn't set it an IP;

Last IP Address set 0.0.0.0
Account [email protected]
configured for:
group NETGEAR-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Updating every 30 minutes via /dev/eth0 with NAT enabled.
[May 08 23:37:39] Current status

Apologies I believe I was referring to the interactive setup, however I instead have moved onto duckdns.

I wish I could help more with No-Ip...

16 hours ago, bigdan1190 said:

I don't think you can, but do you know if you can use https with duckdns?

Duckdns does not dictate whether you can use http vs https. However yes, I am using duckdns and pushing my external connections via https. 

look into nginx, there are multiple different dockers; nginx proxy manager, swag, etc. 

4 hours ago, Waddoo said:

Duckdns does not dictate whether you can use http vs https. However yes, I am using duckdns and pushing my external connections via https. 

look into nginx, there are multiple different dockers; nginx proxy manager, swag, etc. 

yeah i was being an idiot, its been a while since i set it up and infact i was already using NGINX for https on my No-ip URLs haha.

Can anybody tell me or provide a step by step on how to install a compiler on Unraid?

My setup:

Dell R710 server with Unraid latest;

Usual assortment of dockers; Nextcloud, Sonarr, Radarr .....

48 Gb memory and 12 cores/24 threads

Runs well and haven't had a major problems - except those of my own making 😁....

I use a reverse proxy using a service called "NO-IP" to handle the redirections. And when my ISP graciously changes my IP - all my proxies don't work.

I want to install their Linux Dynamic Update Client (DUC) on the server to periodically check that the IP address hasn't changed (my dumb ISP just can't seem to keep my ip static .....🤬

I have the NOIP package etc. but whenever I try to run make install it tells me:

sudo make install
sudo: make: command not found

I assume this means I don't have gcc or some such not installed. Tried everything with no joy....

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thats the last step before getting the client installed .....😭

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions.....

I also posted at: 

Cheers

toolmanz