Dual Xeon x5650 compability

vekselstrom

• 2 weeks later...

ordered the parts today. purchased a set of Intel Xeon X5670 2.93GHz Six-Core  processors on ebay for $275 (for the pair).

here is the rest of the  build

Thank you for shopping at Newegg!

We're delighted we had what you were looking for!

Your order should be processed and ready to be shipped within 1-2 business days. In some cases, we will also contact your bank for further verification. To prevent delays, please ensure that your billing address and phone number match with the information your card issuer has on file; Newegg takes these measures to protect our customers from debit/credit card fraud and identity theft. * Below is your order confirmation. Please keep a copy for your records.

6 x ($90.99) Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR $545.94

1 x ($312.99) SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DTH-iF-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 $312.99

2 x ($24.99) Rosewill ROCC-13001 AIOLOS PLUS 120mm Long Life Sl $49.98

2 x ($23.99) RAVPower PB07 10400 mAh Black External Battery Pac $47.98

2 x ($12.99) SCOSCHE GPSPWRR Black Dual 1A USB Home Charger for $25.98

2 x ($8.99) Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver - OEM $17.98

2 x ($5.99) Rosewill 80mm Computer Case Fan (Case Cooling Fan) $11.98

2 x (($12.99)) DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #120827($25.98)

Subtotal: $986.85

Tax: $0.00

Shipping and Handling: $6.14

Total Amount: $992.99

i am planning on using my current pic-x sata cards in the pcie 2.0 slots until i find a newer card.

should have everything by the end of the week. hopefully can get it put together this coming weekend.

I am running the x5639 (6c 12t) processor and the supermicro x8sax motherboard.

Which I switched out from the e3-1265l (not willingly, 4pin shorted burnt everything up) , the biggest difference I have noticed is obviously the ability to stream multiple streams and have sab do its unpacking and moving. I don't have fibre so the only time I run into your issue is with getting kids shows because they are so small, but I do not see an increase in unpack time on anything. I have only seen the benefit in the rare occasion that everything is running at once (sab, sick, transmission and Plex x2 streams) nothing slows down, from what I have measured most of the time the cores sit idle.

Also Tom added support for more then 8 processors in 6b6 (if I remember correctly), which is what I am running.