How to remotely support an UnRAID server

bkastner

I am just finishing setting up a new UnRAID 5.0.5 server for my brother, but want the ability to check in occasionally to monitor and make sure there are no issues. I also want to be able to manage his SAB/SB/CP,Plex etc. Also, I want to be able to putty in ideally.

Does anyone do this now? If so, what is the recommended approach? I don't really want to open up the relevant ports - especially since they are all non-https by default.

Is there a VPN solution that would help here? There are no other hosts he has setup that I could RDP into or anything easy, so I am trying to figure out how best to manage it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am using Teamviewer to remote into my Windows computer remotely, and then use that computer to manage my unRAID.

I have also used Logmein Hamachi in the past, and had it working directly with unRAID. I think it is still free, but I quit using it because I had to switch to Teamviewer for my other remote needs when Logmein Free went away.

I am using Teamviewer to remote into my Windows computer remotely, and then use that computer to manage my unRAID.

I have also used Logmein Hamachi in the past, and had it working directly with unRAID. I think it is still free, but I quit using it because I had to switch to Teamviewer for my other remote needs when Logmein Free went away.

I do the same thing using Windows Remote Desktop.

Yes, this is how I manage my home network as well, but unfortunately my brother doesn't have a Windows PC up and running I can do this with.

If this was the only option I figured I *could* look at moving his machine to 6.0-beta7 and build a Windows VM I could use, but I was hoping there was an easier method I hadn't thought of. :)

I will look into the logmein solution to see what it has to offer, and hope someone else may have a creative way to do this they can suggest.

That is a good way - but you need another PC to be ON for that or wake-up the PC via Teamviewer (remote wake-up is not supported on mobile teamviewer app).

A better way:

I Installed Teamviewer on a Windows VirtualMachine on unraid using VirtualBox.

This way remote connect to my Windows Virtual Machine (on unraid so always running) and can then access the unraid shares/disks and WEBUI.

That is a good way - but you need another PC to be ON for that or wake-up the PC via Teamviewer (remote wake-up is not supported on mobile teamviewer app).

A better way:

I Installed Teamviewer on a Windows VirtualMachine on unraid using VirtualBox.

This way remote connect to my Windows Virtual Machine (on unraid so always running) and can then access the unraid shares/disks and WEBUI.

This is my last resort, but I am hoping the OpenVPN solution works out. It's different when it's my home network (where I can already RDP to a Windows machine) as opposed to a family member/friend where I just want to be able to assist with UnRAID remotely as needed.