Love my job...

jonp

Out of curiosity, don't your servers get a bit noisy for the main living room?

Actually I love the noise of system fans.  It could put me to sleep!  And there are two systems in that shot that I'm working on right now, neither actually are all that loud.  The AVS 10/4 is our pride and joy (LT server in the middle).  The other tower I have there generates a bit more noise than it and it will be getting moved soon.  Just copying about 4TB of data over to do some testing.

But the bigger initiative I have is to actually try and mount a system in here:

home-for-future-project.jpg

I miss my coolermaster stacker.  I had it with the supermicro 5 in 1's. I replaced the fans with geild.

They were a bit expensive, but there was no noise, you could not hear the server.

I think I may have used some acoustic absorbing material on the insides of the sides.

I know I did that for my CM590 (another great case).

I'm hoping by next year to have an actual limetech case.  I have the mugs, might as well go all the way.

Sweet setup JonP.  A lil uplighting and you will never want to leave.

BTW, Shouldn't there be an editor with code on that screen?

I miss my coolermaster stacker.  I had it with the supermicro 5 in 1's. I replaced the fans with geild.

They were a bit expensive, but there was no noise, you could not hear the server.

I think I may have used some acoustic absorbing material on the insides of the sides.

I'm hoping by next year to have an actual limetech case.  I have the mugs, might as well go all the way.

It's one of the inputs on that TV ;-).  I have two inputs from the AVS and one from the coolermaster going to that TV right now.

And here's my coding!

jons-coding.jpg

My main server is in a Chenbro Sr107 case, with the factory fans, plus the factory hot-swap chassis (with THEIR factory fans, lol), and one Supremicro 5-in-3, AGAIN with it's factory fan.  I can hear it in the next room... 

As far as the coffee mug, you guys need to upsize, lol.  The one I normally use at home holds probably 2-3x what's in that tiny glass, lol.  (The 16oz size on my Keurig Vue doesn't completely fill it up...).

As far as the coffee mug, you guys need to upsize, lol.  The one I normally use at home holds probably 2-3x what's in that tiny glass, lol.  (The 16oz size on my Keurig Vue doesn't completely fill it up...).

The limetech mug is good enough to fill with coffee from an Aerobie Aeropress.

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Coffee made right, doesn't require quantity!!! LOL!

Although my friend made a similar comment in that I had to keep getting up to make more coffee.

Reality is, if I do not take a break to make a new cup every now and then, I don't get up. (which wreaks havoc on my knees).

So getting up every hour for 5 minutes to make a quality cup of joe works better for me.

I also like that there is really no waste when you use the metal filter.

Not something I would use for allot of company coming over, but for single serve with quality and minimal waste, it's a charm.

Once I turned my friend on to the Aero press, she stopped using the Keurig.

The CM 810 is a hugely spacious and solid case. Mines for sale ;)

Nice setup Jonp.

Well that's actually a little surprise.  So that's an OpenELEC VM running on unRAID with GPU pass through to my LG TV.  I just prefer Nox over the stock XBMC build.

I had a Kodi alpha build at one point running, but decided to back down to stable for now.  No real reason other than a plan to release the VM to the masses for use soon when we have it good and tested enough...

Well that's actually a little surprise.  So that's an OpenELEC VM running on unRAID with GPU pass through to my LG TV.  I just prefer Nox over the stock XBMC build.

I had a Kodi alpha build at one point running, but decided to back down to stable for now.  No real reason other than a plan to release the VM to the masses for use soon when we have it good and tested enough...

Could you share with your config for Openelec VM unRAID with GPU pass through ? or some guide ? i will be very grateful

Im was looking solution like this

Will do.  It's going through some final testing, but here's a sneak peak:

1)  The way the VM img works is its a modified build of the open source OpenELEC project.

2)  The modifications we made to the build were to include drivers for virtualization like VirtIO, VirtFS, and VFIO.

3)  We use VirtIO for the network driver, VFIO for PCI pass through of a GPU, but the real intersting part is VirtFS.

4)  This VM normally works by keeping all folders off of root as "read-only" except for one called "/storage" which is where the VM stores appdata such as the XBMC metadata and your addons/skins/etc.

5)  We simply use VirtFS to make /storage map to /mnt/user/appdata/openelec and therefore have the VM setup very much the same way a docker container works (all appdata is kept OUTSIDE of the VM storage itself, turning the VM.img file into really just a virtual appliance).

6)  Then we add a folder called "/unraid" to the build and map that to "/mnt/user/media" or wherever you store your personal digital media, and now you have a way to add all your libraries.

7)  Best part of all this?  None of the playback of any of those videos ever touches the network layer.  It all remains at the storage layer directly.  This is awesome!

I've tested this on multiple hardware hosts with various GPUs / CPUs / Motherboards and have had great success repeating this.  It won't work for everyone / every GPU, but I bet it works for a lot.

The last testing I'm doing today is to pass through a blu-ray / DVD player device that I have through to the VM to see if I can get that working solid.  The next test I want to perform at some point is getting a cable card and putting it into the server, pass it through to OpenELEC.  Now you could use your unRAID server as your storage for your DVR/PVR for your cable TV.  You could then use XBMC as the interface for that...

Pretty cool possibilities eh?

Yes i loved !!!

Could you share with your changes for openelec  ?? (build custom image for me is no problem and change stuff for my hardware)

And maybe some guide step by step how you do it all this ?? this is amazing !!! :) and i want this on my unraid.

About PVR/DVR i just using PCIE tuners on unraid side without PCI pass through (custom build kernel unraid with dvb driver). I just install VDR (or tvheadend)

( i dont want use Virtu, if i dont must )

Yes i loved !!!

Could you share with your changes for openelec  ?? (build custom image for me is no problem and change stuff for my hardware)

And maybe some guide step by step how you do it all this ?? this is amazing !!! :) and i want this on my unraid.

About PVR/DVR i just using PCIE tuners on unraid side without PCI pass through (custom build kernel unraid with dvb driver). I just install VDR (or tvheadend)

( i dont want use Virtu, if i dont must )

I think I just did, didn't I (share the details)?  If you're looking for developer level stuff, I didn't actually compile OpenELEC myself, Eric did.

I've tested this on multiple hardware hosts with various GPUs / CPUs / Motherboards and have had great success repeating this. It won't work for everyone / every GPU, but I bet it works for a lot.The last testing I'm doing today is to pass through a blu-ray / DVD player device that I have through to the VM to see if I can get that working solid. 

The next test I want to perform at some point is getting a cable card and putting it into the server, pass it through to OpenELEC. 

Now you could use your unRAID server as your storage for your DVR/PVR for your cable TV.  You could then use XBMC as the interface for that...

What happens if a parity check is in progress?