Really lost how to get Docker to work

iveo83

I updated my unRAID to v6 beta8. Installed unMenu and added a 500GB cache drive and started my array. I'm currently moving over 7TB of data. In the mean time I wanted to get SABnzbd & Plex working. I saw a couple of guides...

Quick Start Guide:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33805.0

[PLUGIN] Extended Docker:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33965.0

These seem like great guides but they are not helping me out. The guides I used to get all this working so far were step by step explaining every detail. I tried saving dockerman.plg to my flash drive and then installing it from install extension but that didn't work. I read that the docker container runs off ubuntu, so do I need to download and install that first? Sorry I have no experience with linux. All I need is to get plex and SAB installed and I think I should be good for awhile.

Do you know of step by step guides that show how to install SAB & Plex? Everything I look up seems like the old way from v5. If that's easier I can do that way too, but I have advised on a previous post to use docker.

I updated my unRAID to v6 beta8. Installed unMenu and added a 500GB cache drive and started my array. I'm currently moving over 7TB of data. In the mean time I wanted to get SABnzbd & Plex working. I saw a couple of guides...

Quick Start Guide:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33805.0

[PLUGIN] Extended Docker:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33965.0

These seem like great guides but they are not helping me out. The guides I used to get all this working so far were step by step explaining every detail. I tried saving dockerman.plg to my flash drive and then installing it from install extension but that didn't work. I read that the docker container runs off ubuntu, so do I need to download and install that first? Sorry I have no experience with linux. All I need is to get plex and SAB installed and I think I should be good for awhile.

Do you know of step by step guides that show how to install SAB & Plex? Everything I look up seems like the old way from v5. If that's easier I can do that way too, but I have advised on a previous post to use docker.

To install Docker you are going to want to do the following:

1) Create a share on your cache drive and set it as cache only (I used appdata, but any name will do).

2) From the extensions/docker page you need to specify a path for your docker image (/mnt/cache/appdata/docker.img), and then hit Start

3) Once docker is running you can update your docker manager app (from Extensions menu copy the link in the first post for beta8 and then paste it into Install Extension):

The link should look like this:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/dockers/beta8/dockerMan/dockerMan.plg

Now, when you click on Extensions again you should see the Docker Apps category.

4) Assuming you see the Docker Apps correctly, you've updated the Docker Manager app. Now you need to click on Docker (under Extensions / Extensions). You will need to add a template repository. Add this:

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/templates

5) You now have everything ready to start installing your Docker containers. From either the Docker Apps, or the Extensions\Docker page click the green plus to add your first app.

SAB (a note before you start)

Since you are already running UnMENU on port 8080 it is going to conflict with SAB, which by default wants port 8080 as well. You can choose to either change the port for SAB, or UnMENU. Personally, I updated UnMENU to use port 8000. If you want to do this, putty into your server and go to /boot/unmenu.

Then type 'nano unmenu.conf'

You will see a line:

#MyPort = 90

Change it to:

MyPort = 8000

Hit CTRL-X to save and exit, then type './uu' to restart UnMENU on Port 8000.

Reconnect to your GUI: 'tower:8000' to make sure all is good. If something fubar'd then reboot and connect to 'tower:8000'

Now you are ready to install SAB.

Go back to UnRAID Main / Extensions and hit the green plus, then scroll down and select SAB.

SAB is going to want to set a config folder, and if you used appdata as your share then you can leave the default: /mnt/user/appdata/sabnzbd

You will also need to specify a Downloads folder. I used /mnt/user/appdata/Downloads.

Click on Add, and the container will download and configure.

You can then open up a webpage: tower:8080 to start SAB config.

I know you don't use Sickbeard or CouchPotato, but whatever other apps you use that tie into SAB you will want to make sure you map their /downloads folder to your /mnt/user/appdata/Downloads so everyone is looking at the same folders.

This should get you started. Let me know what other questions pop up.

Since you are already running UnMENU on port 8080 it is going to conflict with SAB, which by default wants port 8080 as well. You can choose to either change the port for SAB, or UnMENU. Personally, I updated UnMENU to use port 8000. If you want to do this, putty into your server and go to /boot/unmenu.

I tried this but it's not working...

I used telnet and logged in with root. I tried cd /boot/unmenu and then /boot/unmenu. I found the spot to change it but moving up the page would make all this other text come up and then I changed it but it was deleting other words at the same time and highlighting the entire screen. I couldn't figure out how to save the file/ changes. Can I change this doc. in windows like I did with the network file?

I did the other stuff you said with Docker and it seems to have worked but I get an error trying to install SAB but I think it's b/c of the port conflicting.

I tried this but it's not working...

I used telnet and logged in with root. I tried cd /boot/unmenu and then /boot/unmenu. I found the spot to change it but moving up the page would make all this other text come up and then I changed it but it was deleting other words at the same time and highlighting the entire screen. I couldn't figure out how to save the file/ changes. Can I change this doc. in windows like I did with the network file?

I did the other stuff you said with Docker and it seems to have worked but I get an error trying to install SAB but I think it's b/c of the port conflicting.

Yes, you should be able to map \\tower\flash and edit the unmenu.conf file. Then restart and make sure you can connect to unmenu as tower:8000

Then re-try SAB

;D I think SAB is working now. I can't test it at the moment cause I have to turn SAB off at work because I'm getting to many connection errors.

I was thinking I would be able to have SAB save the movies/shows into the correct place But it seems they will only save into 1 folder (complete). So movies won't auto go into the movies folder and TV shows in TV folder. Or will the cache overnight mover do that part?

Plex is my next project that I'll have to play around with tomorrow. Have to figure out if I can add the entire share and not 1 drive at a time, Since the media is scattered all over different drives.

;D I think SAB is working now. I can't test it at the moment cause I have to turn SAB off at work because I'm getting to many connection errors.

I was thinking I would be able to have SAB save the movies/shows into the correct place But it seems they will only save into 1 folder (complete). So movies won't auto go into the movies folder and TV shows in TV folder. Or will the cache overnight mover do that part?

Plex is my next project that I'll have to play around with tomorrow. Have to figure out if I can add the entire share and not 1 drive at a time, Since the media is scattered all over different drives.

Mover never reorganizes files. It just moves them off cache to the same folders in the array.

What you are asking for is the job of Sickbeard (tv) or Couchpotato (movies). They will monitor the complete folder and when something is dropped in there they will rename it, and metadata files and then move it to the appropriate folders.

As for Plex, typically people have a TV share and a Movies share that can span all/most/some of the available drives. In Plex you add /tv or /movies and let Plex do the rest.

I can't find my shares in that list...

I was told to add /mnt/movies but I couldn't find it so I added it manually but it still didn't work.

If this is a user share called "movies"

it would be /mnt/user/movies

That didn't work either. I can add those but Plex tells me no media is available. I even tried adding disk 1 to see if I could get anything into plex but that didn't work either.

These are how my shares are setup. I can have 1 big media share if that makes a difference

gdJvWBc.jpg

You need to add another Path to your plex docker. You have told the plex docker that its /config folder is the unRAID folder /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver, but you haven't told it where to look for your media. In fact, until you make another Path Mapping, it only has access to the unRAID folder /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver, which it calls the folder /config.

I have mine setup with an additional Path with Container volume as /media and Host path as /mnt/user. This tells the docker to look in its /media folder and it will find all of the things that are in my unRAID /mnt/user.

You could also just set both Container volume and Host path to /mnt/user, and then the docker will be able to access your unRAID /mnt/user in its folder /mnt/user.

If you follow StevenD's advice, then you would look in the docker folder /data to find your unRAID /mnt/user.

You really need to understand Volume mappings or you will never get anything to work.

You need to add a container volume called "/data" and point to to host path "/mnt/user"

I tried changing it and somehow deleted it so I'm redoing it but getting the message...

Unable to find image 'needo/plex' locally

Repository needo/plex already being pulled by another client. Waiting...

So I'll leave it on and see how it looks in the morning.

Thanks for your help, I think this was the problem.

You really need to understand Volume mappings or you will never get anything to work.

Yes I'm figuring this out the hard way... I was told that I didn't need to know linux to have an unraid server but it helps. Well that was an understatement.

I feel bad for coming here for help so much. I just keep hitting road blocks every other step. Thank you for being so patient with me. I'll get all this eventually  ;)

Yes I'm figuring this out the hard way... I was told that I didn't need to know linux to have an unraid server but it helps. Well that was an understatement.

I feel bad for coming here for help so much. I just keep hitting road blocks every other step. Thank you for being so patient with me. I'll get all this eventually  ;)

No worries. It's definitely helpful to know Linux to a degree, but one of UnRAID's largest value adds is a very active forum filled with helpful people. :)

If you've created the container volume StevenD suggested you should be good with Plex after the container is re-pulled down.

If I add a new docker app can I change the container paths after it's already installed?

Anytime I do it seems to mess things up and I need to start from scratch.

For CP and SB do I need to add the same /data/ dir as I did with Plex?

You should be able to update the container paths and just click Add, and it should update the container and restart it for you.

For CP/SB you are likely going to use more specific paths than Plex.

For instance, here are the paths I have defined:

SAB:

/mnt/user/appdata/sabnzbd:/config:rw

/mnt/user/appdata/Downloads/:/downloads:rw

SB:

/mnt/user/appdata/sickbeard/:/config:rw

/mnt/user/TV/:/tv:rw

CP:

/mnt/user/appdata/sickbeard/:/config:rw

/mnt/user/Movies/:/movies:rw

Plex:

/mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver:/config:rw

/mnt/user/:/data:rw

So, SAB only needs the config folder and the downloads folder for complete, incomplete and scripts

CP needs the config folder, the downloads folder (so it can look for newly downloaded movies in the complete folder) and the movies share so it can move the new movies into the existing share

SB needs the same as CP, except we are pointing to my main TV share instead of movies

Plex I have mapped to just /mnt/user so that I can add /tv, /movies and whatever else I want from under that single share.

You could map individual drives in Plex for tv and movies and whatever else, but it's cleaner/easier to just map /mnt/user as a single mapping and then you have access to everything below.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to jump in on this post..i was having trouble with the plex docker finding my shares..was making my skull itch but i kept reading over and over and trying...i think i sort of understand the path concept..correct me please..

I have my movies on my array as /mnt/user/movie and tv show as /mnt/user/tv..im a bit confused if i need seperate container volumes for each of those ?

so far i have...

container volume                                              host path

/config                                                              /mnt/cache/.apps/plex

/media                                                            /mnt/user/movies/

/mediaTV                                                        /mnt/user/tv/

Dont think i have understood this right as i am following guide but misinterpreting it ?

Sorry to jump in on this post..i was having trouble with the plex docker finding my shares..was making my skull itch but i kept reading over and over and trying...i think i sort of understand the path concept..correct me please..

I have my movies on my array as /mnt/user/movie and tv show as /mnt/user/tv..im a bit confused if i need seperate container volumes for each of those ?

so far i have...

container volume                                              host path

/config                                                              /mnt/cache/.apps/plex

/media                                                            /mnt/user/movies/

/mediaTV                                                        /mnt/user/tv/

Dont think i have understood this right as i am following guide but misinterpreting it ?

Since TV and Movies have a common root you could just mount /mnt/user as /media or /data or whatever you like. Then in plex, you should see /media and your two folders under that.

Yes.. that makes sense. Also when I was using plugins,  with plex I would have an apps folder and data folder which you would have pointed to prior to starting the service.. I would also append the folders with a period to stop them getting moved from the cache... do I still need to append and can I just have the one folder now called appdata and not have to worry ?

I would also append the folders with a period to stop them getting moved from the cache... do I still need to append and can I just have the one folder now called appdata and not have to worry ?

You can now set the folder up as a normal share, and set it to be 'cache only'.  That will stop mover from moving it to the main array.