Official Plex Media Server Support for 64-bit Unraid

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/62832-plex-media-server/page-3  The change log:

Plex Media Server 0.9.10.0 is now available for Plex Pass members!

(You didn't think we'd go to 1.0 *that* easily, did you?)

A few things to note in this release: first of all, it includes a much improved transcoder, which you may have been following in the preview thread. Just about everything about this transcoder should be improved over the existing one, but obviously, if you find some media which worked better with the older transcoder, we want to know about it before this release goes out to the public. To report an issue, read the preview thread and post details about the media.

We've also dropped support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 with this release, which allowed us to clean up and modernize some things. That, along with dropping support for legacy Flash and Silverlight channels makes the server start up faster, use less memory, and perform better (not to mention be a smaller download package). For anyone keeping score, we supported Windows XP five months longer than Microsoft did.

NEW:

Improved reliability in media analysis and transcoding.

Improved quality in video transcoding.

Improved speed in video transcoding, especially when starting new sessions and when seeking.

Support for transcoding a number of new formats, including H.265/HEVC.

Much-improved support for styled Advanced SubStation subtitles (primarily used in anime).

Improved support for SRT subtitles, especially those including bidirectional text and Unicode characters.

Support for 64-bit UnRAID systems.

Support for PPC Thecus systems.

An improved default subtitle font, now used across all platforms.

Support for HTTPS channel content.

Removed support for legacy Flash and Silverlight channels.

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are no longer supported.

The legacy transcoder, which is available as an option in some Plex clients, will be removed soon. Please be sure to report specific cases where you still see better results when using it.

FIXES:

Ratings no longer display floating point weirdness (e.g. "7.499999").

Handle file I/O failures gracefully when streaming media.

Fix and speed up for Recently Viewed Shows.

Fix a rare case in which play queues could repeat items.

Playlists with TV shows might not have a duration or item count.

Shutdown the database cleanly on exit, so we don't have -wal/shm files left around.

Run library analysis in the background so request isn't long-running.

Issues with menu icon on Yosemite.

Fix jaggies with Windows icon.

Does that mean I can install Plex new 64bit version on my UnRAID 5.05 instead of the 32 bit?

And would be the advantage of doing so?

Any down side?

Thanks for any suggestion.

BTW: I am using Plex with Amazon FireTV box and app. It works but has some severe limitations. The interface is great, but sound is just 2.0 (no DTS, no 5.1,...) the fast forward or rewind work more or less sporadically, some stutter... Any better solution?

Does that mean I can install Plex new 64bit version on my UnRAID 5.05 instead of the 32 bit?

Any down side?

BTW: I am using Plex with Amazon FireTV box and app. It works but has some severe limitations. The interface is great, but sound is just 2.0 (no DTS, no 5.1,...) the fast forward or rewind work more or less sporadically, some stutter... Any better solution?

No, Unraid 5.x is 32 bit only.

Unraid 6 is 64bit only.

Any down side?

Plex is useless on the fire tv. Use xbmc with the plexbmc addon, that's what I'm doing with my fire tv :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No, Unraid 5.x is 32 bit only.

Unraid 6 is 64bit only.

:( :(

That's what I feared...

This being said, does it worth to scrap a stable unRAID v5 to install the beta v6 just to get 64bit Plex?

Does the 64bit version of Plex makes a noticeable difference? Please let me know your findings.

"Noticable difference" ... well arguably if plex does its job right and you aren't on marginal HW the answer would be no.  That said, the biggest benefit to Plex 64, in the words of the developers, is that ffmpeg (the transcoder) gets a LOT more attention on the 64bit side in the form of optimizations.  That is just natural too given that most stuff is moving to 64bit. 

Can I claim I have seen an obvious improvement in transcode speeds?  No I can't.  Because 1) I'm not on marginal hardware and 2) Plex has done its job right and hidden that from me as much as possible.  I can't imagine it is enough of an improvement to run an extra stream, but it could be enough to get a heavy stream started quicker and quicker scanning ffw/rwd but I haven't tried an intentional test.

Memory really isn't as big an issue IMO because I can stream three 1080p DTS full bitrate BD rip streams, all transcoding to a roku (forced transcode), motoX, and Nexus 7 and my 4GB VM jumps from 3xxMB ram at idle to 15xxMB ram.  Plex on linux is just not a memory hog.

As to Plex on FireTV ... I too have heard from a close friend (and unraid lurker) that it isn't that great.  It took him a lot of work to get 5.1 working.  He got it, but he was annoyed.  My vote for Plex client is a Roku.

Thank you guys for your posts.

I did some research and went to the conclusion that XBMC and PleXBMC were the way to go. And there is no emergency to scrap everything for the sake of going 64 bits.

I installed XBMC/PleXBMC and it works: I have DTS, 5.1 and faster loading. Still some minor little glitches, but, I consider this is it! ;D

To make life of other FireTV users easier...

The solution for making FireTV working the way it should with your Home Theater as suggested in previous posts is XBMC and PleXBMC:

XBMC (now renamed KODI) is a software which installs on the client side, ie FireTV. That means that the data received from the Media server is treated by a client or receiver (FireTV) executing a software program (XBMC) prior to be displayed on your TV and getting DTS sound from your AVR.  Thus there is NO INSTALL of XBMC on your media server,  just on the FireTV.

To install XBMC follow the instructions there:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

This will install XBMC on you FireTV, but to use this program through the PLEX interface, you need to install an add-on: PleXBMC.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Add-on:PleXBMC

;D Life is good  ;D