HGST/WD announces 8TB/10TB drives

c3

• 1 month later...

Well now I feel kinda dumb having just purchased a new 2TB WD Red for my secondary server.  I hope the larger drives coming out drive down the prices of 4TB drives.  OTOH, if I had the money, now I could build a tiny 4-6 disk system and leave my 15-bay tower in the garage to use as a tool stand.

Well now I feel kinda dumb having just purchased a new 2TB WD Red for my secondary server.  I hope the larger drives coming out drive down the prices of 4TB drives.  OTOH, if I had the money, now I could build a tiny 4-6 disk system and leave my 15-bay tower in the garage to use as a tool stand.

That's pretty much what I did. I bought 7x 4TB drives a year ago, replacing a huge pile o'drives.

Selling my old drives on Fleabay, I got close to the then-current per-TB price fir them.

That's pretty much what I did. I bought 7x 4TB drives a year ago, replacing a huge pile o'drives.

Selling my old drives on Fleabay, I got close to the then-current per-TB price fir them.

same here. just replaced a 11 drive 2TB/4TB server with a nice clean 6x6TB setup. I know if I had waited another few months, the drives would have been cheaper/larger etc pp. That will always be the case as there is always technical improvements. Gotta find the right compromise for you. I like the confidence of having a brand new system that should run for a few years easily (my old box ran for four years with very little problems). But again, it has to be right for you. For some people lowest price is the highest priority, for others most space.

same here. just replaced a 11 drive 2TB/4TB server with a nice clean 6x6TB setup. I know if I had waited another few months, the drives would have been cheaper/larger etc pp. That will always be the case as there is always technical improvements. Gotta find the right compromise for you. I like the confidence of having a brand new system that should run for a few years easily (my old box ran for four years with very little problems). But again, it has to be right for you. For some people lowest price is the highest priority, for others most space.

Buying a bunch of the same drives and putting them into service at the same time may feel good, but all of your drives will start aging in lockstep.  When drives start to fail, you'll be at risk for multiple failures. I try to buy drives in pairs over time so that I have a variety of sizes and ages, and create a diverse setup. When I run out of slots, I upsize the smallest drives, and maintain my drive diversity.

Buying a bunch of the same drives and putting them into service at the same time may feel good, but all of your drives will start aging in lockstep.  When drives start to fail, you'll be at risk for multiple failures. I try to buy drives in pairs over time so that I have a variety of sizes and ages, and create a diverse setup. When I run out of slots, I upsize the smallest drives, and maintain my drive diversity.

Hear ya. That's why I bought in 3 different batches from 3 different vendors in 3 different states over, you guessed it, a 3 week time frame. It's still the same drive model, that's a risk I'm willing to take. smaller footprint was a main driver, so going with a bunch of smaller drives simply wouldn't have been practical as this will replace my main box and I need the space. I'll spend a lot of time, automating smart reports so at least drive failures don't come out of the blue. In 4 years I'll build a new box with 2 16TB drives before my 6TB ones fail! :) 

Hear ya. That's why I bought in 3 different batches from 3 different vendors in 3 different states over, you guessed it, a 3 week time frame. It's still the same drive model, that's a risk I'm willing to take. smaller footprint was a main driver, so going with a bunch of smaller drives simply wouldn't have been practical as this will replace my main box and I need the space. I'll spend a lot of time, automating smart reports so at least drive failures don't come out of the blue. In 4 years I'll build a new box with 2 16TB drives before my 6TB ones fail! :)

Understood. Those were some smart steps to take.

Best of luck! I am looking forward to the 16T drives!

Of course a few years ago people were waiting for the humongous 4T drives and then we'd have nirvana.

:)

While I have no doubt 16TB drives are coming, it'll take some technology improvements to make them with the speeds we'd all like to see (and have come to expect).

Note that the new Hitachi 8TB drives are PMR drives that are marketed for high speed data center applications (think Google, Netflix, etc.), whereas the 10TB units are SMR drives targeted at cloud and cold-storage applications (archiving) where speed isn't as important.    The performance limitations of the SMR technology are clearly having an impact in the performance vs. density arena with these two drives.