Quiet Fractal Define R4 Server

I built my server with an emphasis on silence and I recently expanded the server with a drive cage after seeing this build: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.0 It's just a perfect, cheap expansion solution! The server is quiet, isn't huge, runs cool and has been very reliable!

CPU: Intel G3220

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F

Ram: 4GB ECC

Fans: 3x Antec TruQuiet 140mm for the case

1x Noiseblocker M12-S1 120mm under the drive cage

Power Supply: Corsair RM650

Drive Cage: Caselabs MAC-101

e21468351090129.jpg

That Caselabs cage is a nice find ... and priced very nicely.  A nice way to add 4 more drives to many cases that have otherwise wasted space.

Agreed! It screwed right into the 120mm fan spot, like it was always meant to be there*

*However, with the X10SL7-F motherboard, it's super tight/impossible for some styles of SATA cables  to fit since the back of the cage is right up against the SATA ports on the motherboard. What I did was move the cage away from the motherboard about a cm and screwed the cage to the bottom of the case through the metal fan holes. Its's very solid and hasn't been an issue.

• 10 months later...

Small upgrade!  I think I'm out of places to put drives in this case now!  ;)

-EverCool Dual 5.25 in. Drive Bay to Triple 3.5 in. HDD

-Nexus 80mm Real Silent Case Fan - SP802512L-03

-IO Crest 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Card (SY-PEX40039)

598e09428633689.jpg

Hey Jomp thanks for the inspiration for the Caselabs addon.. Will be buying that soon.

I have a question though, are you finding the drive (circled below) gets almost no airflow and gets very hot all the time? I'm assuming it doesn't help that drive is my parity drive :(

bEgkqM7.jpg

Hey Jomp thanks for the inspiration for the Caselabs addon.. Will be buying that soon.

I have a question though, are you finding the drive (circled below) gets almost no airflow and gets very hot all the time? I'm assuming it doesn't help that drive is my parity drive :(

Mine are all about the same, 37C-40C in those front 8 slots when all are spinning idle. The 40C is that drive you circled and it's also my parity (8TB Seagate). They are 40C-45C when parity checking/parity resynching, 45C being the parity/circled drive.

The caselabs drives all run ~5C cooler.

Drives are in the low 30C's when only a few drives are spun up.

Thanks for posting that jomp, I've been looking for something like this for the R5.

Would you mind posting the drive makes and temps in the 3 bay?

They are 4TB Seagate NAS drives in the 3 bay, running between 36-40C when idle and also checking. Not much deviation from that. Keep in mind I replaced the fan in it with a quieter and thus lower cfm fan. Unfortunately I never used the stock fan in them, so I have no idea if it would cool them more. The drives don't have a whole lot of separation, so I doubt the difference is that big.

*The server is in a closet, so airflow in there isn't great. Ambient temperature is 77F. I have to say, it's surprisingly quiet and it cools pretty well for the low speed fans that are in it!

I guess if you have a 2.5" drive in your mix, you could put it in the top bay? 

I have my 1TB WD RE in the top bay, and it stays under 40C.  It's not a particularly cool running drive anyway.  Room temp is rarely more than 24C, usually more round 21C.  Stock 1000rpm fans running off the motherboard, so probably running around 500-600rpm depending on system temp.