Cache drive - yeah...asking about this..

Fuggin

Hello....I have been running unraid 5.05 for a while and never messed with the system because it worked. I only use it to store my media library and run PMS on it.

I decided to update to the latest 6 beta and had no issues. I didn't reinstall the PMS plugin yet because I am just really struggling with setting up a SSD cache drive to improve Plex library data loading and transcoding.

I have been spending about 3 hours googling and searching the forum for the answers and can't find it. I just want to do this properly.

Here's the rub...it's only a 32gb SSD. I just want to store the PMS library on it and use it as a transcoding location (if needed).

I don't want to use it for write performance (don't need to...my only concern is reading from the array) to the array meaning any large writes I do to the array, I don't want it going through the cache drive because it is only a 32gb SSD.

Is any of this possible? If not, I have a 1 TB WD black drive I can use for the cache drive...but I would prefer to use the SSD.

So set all your regular shares "Use cache disk" share settings line to "No" and your Plex app share to "Only" and you should be good.

Even easier than that guys.  On the share settings page there is a global setting called "use cache disk.". Turning that off there allows you to use the cache drive pretty much like a non array partition.

FYI, I would recommend setting up Plex as a docker container and actually using RAM for transcoding instead of the SSD not for performance, but because RAM doesn't have limited write endurance like NAND flash.