OpenVPN Server & Client for unRAID 6.2+ (6.1 are still supported)

peter_sm

Got a perplexing problem with the VPN client driving me up a wall.

The plugin is dynamically updating my .ovpn config file every time I try to start the VPN Client and it some how removes the dev tun option in the file.

The vpn fails to start with, no dev option defined in your .ovpn file.  I'll add it back and the plugin updates the .ovpn and removes it every time and then the vpn log complains about the entry not being there.

This is what my config file looks like before I start the VPN

persist-tun

dev tun

persist-key

cipher AES-256-CBC

auth SHA1

tls-client

client

resolv-retry infinite

remote ######### 1198 udp

lport 0

verify-x509-name "pfenseRand" name

pkcs12 pfSense-udp-1198-Sister.p12

ns-cert-type server

comp-lzo adaptive

auth-user-pass

This is what it looks like after the VPN fails to start and it updates my .ovpn file.  It fails to start and says the dev tun/tap option is missing cause the plugin took it out....

persist-tun

persist-key

cipher AES-256-CBC

auth SHA1

tls-client

client

resolv-retry infinite

remote ############## 1198 udp

lport 0

ns-cert-type server

comp-lzo adaptive

auth-user-pass /boot/config/plugins/openvpnclient/password.txt

status /tmp/openvpn/openvpn-status

Interestingly, I have another remote VPNserver using different options without a password and the plugin never trys to change the .ovpn file and it works fine.

Any bright ideas?

One more thing, confident the plugin was incorrectly editing the .ovpn file which was a valid config before the plugin touched it, I decided to fire the VPN up via the command line.

The following command and config file connects to my openVPN server and shows up running in the GUI.  However if I bounce it via the GUI plugin, it removes the "dev tun" line and mentioned it updated the file and fails to start due to no dev tun/tap adapter defined.

Maddening I say.  It only does it for this setup, my other VPN server and .ovpn config file the plugin doesn't touch or try to update.

Working command

openvpn --writepid /var/run/openvpn/openvpn.pid --script-security 3 --mute-replay-warnings --config /boot/openvpn/pfSense-udp-1198-Sister.ovpn

Working config via command line

dev tun

persist-tun

persist-key

cipher AES-256-CBC

auth SHA1

tls-client

client

resolv-retry infinite

remote ######## 1198 udp

lport 0

ns-cert-type server

comp-lzo adaptive

status /tmp/openvpn/openvpn-status.log

Got a perplexing problem with the VPN client driving me up a wall.

The plugin is dynamically updating my .ovpn config file every time I try to start the VPN Client and it some how removes the dev tun option in the file.

The vpn fails to start with, no dev option defined in your .ovpn file.  I'll add it back and the plugin updates the .ovpn and removes it every time and then the vpn log complains about the entry not being there.

This is what my config file looks like before I start the VPN

persist-tun

dev tun

persist-key

cipher AES-256-CBC

auth SHA1

tls-client

client

resolv-retry infinite

remote ######### 1198 udp

lport 0

ns-cert-type server

comp-lzo adaptive

auth-user-pass

This is what it looks like after the VPN fails to start and it updates my .ovpn file.  It fails to start and says the dev tun/tap option is missing cause the plugin took it out....

persist-tun

persist-key

cipher AES-256-CBC

auth SHA1

tls-client

client

resolv-retry infinite

remote ############## 1198 udp

lport 0

ns-cert-type server

comp-lzo adaptive

status /tmp/openvpn/openvpn-status

Interestingly, I have another remote VPNserver using different options without a password and the plugin never trys to change the .ovpn file and it works fine.

Any bright ideas?

Hmm, I missing this line proto udp ? I assume you want this protocol.

Can you try add that line above dev tun

proto udp

While OpenVPN allows either the TCP or UDP protocol to be used as the VPN carrier connection, the UDP protocol will provide better protection against DoS attacks and port scanning than TCP:

proto udp

//Peter

The .ovpn file was partially auto generate by pfsense and it defined the UDP protocol this way

remote rand526.ddns.net 1198 udp  <=========

I normally add the udp line separately myself as you suggested however this way works too.

I proved this configuration works by starting the VPN by the command line.  This works and the .ovpn file is not butchered by the unraid plugin when started this way.    The plugin however when starting the VPN via the GUI keeps editing my .ovpn file and removing the "dev tun" line incorrectly just before the VPN starts.  The VPN log then bawks that it's missing the "dev tun".  The plugin breaks my .ovpn file every time.  This proves the plugin is incorrectly messing with my .ovpn file and the configuration works prior to the plugin deciding to update it.  I can see updating .ovpn in the lower right corner flash ever so briefly when I use this .ovpn.  What in the plugin decides my .ovpn must be updated and removes this line.... I have no idea.  My other .ovpn file I use for another VPN, the plugin doesn't touch and thus I don't get my .ovpn butchered by the plugin lol.

Summing up, I think someone understanding the plugin logic rather then openVPN would have to comment as to why the plugin is messing with my .ovpn file and removing "dev tun" every-time.

I think this is a plugin issue not a openVPN configuration problem.  Something about my setup however the plugin is deciding it must incorrectly update my .ovpn file.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the server up and running but after a restart I had to go through the setup again, ended up removing and adding and now it won't install Easy RSA.

I have manually run both

/etc/rc.d/rc.openvpnserver download_easy-rsa

and

rc.openvpnserver 'download_easy-rsa'

and everything seems to install fine but I never get a tick next to Easy RSA and as a result I can't create clients. I get ticks for the other 2 and I can start the VPN server but obviously I can't connect

Any ideas?

The .ovpn file was partially auto generate by pfsense and it defined the UDP protocol this way

remote rand526.ddns.net 1198 udp  <=========

I normally add the udp line separately myself as you suggested however this way works too.

I proved this configuration works by starting the VPN by the command line.  This works and the .ovpn file is not butchered by the unraid plugin when started this way.    The plugin however when starting the VPN via the GUI keeps editing my .ovpn file and removing the "dev tun" line incorrectly just before the VPN starts.  The VPN log then bawks that it's missing the "dev tun".  The plugin breaks my .ovpn file every time.  This proves the plugin is incorrectly messing with my .ovpn file and the configuration works prior to the plugin deciding to update it.  I can see updating .ovpn in the lower right corner flash ever so briefly when I use this .ovpn.  What in the plugin decides my .ovpn must be updated and removes this line.... I have no idea.  My other .ovpn file I use for another VPN, the plugin doesn't touch and thus I don't get my .ovpn butchered by the plugin lol.

Summing up, I think someone understanding the plugin logic rather then openVPN would have to comment as to why the plugin is messing with my .ovpn file and removing "dev tun" every-time.

I think this is a plugin issue not a openVPN configuration problem.  Something about my setup however the plugin is deciding it must incorrectly update my .ovpn file.

Add proto udp  line above dev tun and it will work

I had the server up and running but after a restart I had to go through the setup again, ended up removing and adding and now it won't install Easy RSA.

I have manually run both

and

and everything seems to install fine but I never get a tick next to Easy RSA and as a result I can't create clients. I get ticks for the other 2 and I can start the VPN server but obviously I can't connect

Any ideas?

New update is available to correcting the DL of easy-rsa

//Peter

changing how the udp protocol was defined worked :P

Didn't think to change it seeing as pfsence oepnVPN server generated it that way on behalf of the VPN client and worked fine outside the plugin.

I can stop and start the VPN through the WebGUI now, the small things make one happy.

Thanks again.

I have manually run both

and

Any ideas?

New update is available to correcting the DL of easy-rsa

//Peter

Worked a charm - thank you very much

Hi Peter_sm! Thanks for the great plugin!

A few questions though. I use the plugin so I could stream my media from the outside networks. However, when I connect via OpenVPN, I can only see my internal network. I cannot access any websites (such as Google).

This is made cumbersome by the fact that I sometimes need to search up some stuff while I work with my VM applications. I need to switch the OpenVPN on and off to search up facts and then go back to my server and save the changes.

My server only has one NIC, built-in to the motherboard, how do I route my traffic from OpenVPN to the outside world? Sorry, but I'm a real noob at OpenVPN and any help would be appreciated.

I've deleted /boot/config/openvpnserver and /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-server and have reinstalled the server plugin, so I'm on a fresh slate.

Hi Peter_sm! Thanks for the great plugin!

A few questions though. I use the plugin so I could stream my media from the outside networks. However, when I connect via OpenVPN, I can only see my internal network. I cannot access any websites (such as Google).

This is made cumbersome by the fact that I sometimes need to search up some stuff while I work with my VM applications. I need to switch the OpenVPN on and off to search up facts and then go back to my server and save the changes.

My server only has one NIC, built-in to the motherboard, how do I route my traffic from OpenVPN to the outside world? Sorry, but I'm a real noob at OpenVPN and any help would be appreciated.

I've deleted /boot/config/openvpnserver and /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-server and have reinstalled the server plugin, so I'm on a fresh slate.

Can you attach your OpenVPN Server Configuration: ?

I'm ising iPad and I can reach complete LAN (tower,plex,VM) and outsid as well

my config

NETWORK=10.22.0.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
SERVER_PORT=1194
CANONICAL=xxx.yyy.com
PROTOCOL=udp
CIPHER="cipher aes-256-cbc"
CLIENT="Enable"
HASH_ALGO="auth sha256"
GATEWAY="redirect-gateway"
SUBNET="Disable"
LAN_SUBNET="Disable"
COMP_LZO="comp-lzo"
IPP="ipp.txt"
DHCP_1="dhcp-option DNS"
TELNET_CONSOLE="No"
VERB="verb 3"
IP_PORT_SHARE=""

Can you attach your OpenVPN Server Configuration: ?

I'm ising iPad and I can reach complete LAN (tower,plex,VM) and outsid as well

my config

NETWORK=10.22.0.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
SERVER_PORT=1194
CANONICAL=xxx.yyy.com
PROTOCOL=udp
CIPHER="cipher aes-256-cbc"
CLIENT="Enable"
HASH_ALGO="auth sha256"
GATEWAY="redirect-gateway"
SUBNET="Disable"
LAN_SUBNET="Disable"
COMP_LZO="comp-lzo"
IPP="ipp.txt"
DHCP_1="dhcp-option DNS"
TELNET_CONSOLE="No"
VERB="verb 3"
IP_PORT_SHARE=""

Sure.

server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
local 192.168.0.100
dev tun
port 1194
proto udp
dh /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-server/dh.pem
ca /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-server/ca.crt
cert /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-server/server.crt
key /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-server/server.key
ifconfig-pool-persist /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-server/ipp.txt
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8"
push "redirect-gateway def1"
tls-server
verb 3
tls-auth /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-server/ta.key 0
persist-key
persist-tun
keepalive 10 120
user nobody
group users
cipher aes-256-cbc
client-to-client
auth sha512
comp-lzo
topology subnet
push "resolv-retry infinite"
status /var/log/openvpnserver-status.log 5
log-append /var/log/openvpnserver.log
status-version 2

And as a feature suggestion, can we first change the config, then let OpenVPN restart on itself? The reason I'm asking is because when I'm out (of the house), I can't turn off OpenVPN because doing so would make me lose connection with the server, therefore I could not access the server webui to change settings and start OpenVPN up again.

So, when we make changes, OpenVPN restarts itself, so we can reconnect without having to enable OpenVPN again from the WebUI.

EDIT: I've tried redirect-gateway instead of redirect-gateway def1, no dice. Doesn't work at all. Can only see server (and the rest of my internal network), cannot connect to google.com.

# Generated network settings

USE_DHCP="yes"

IPADDR=

NETMASK=

GATEWAY=

This is the network.cfg. I'm running on UnRAID v6.2 beta23, but that might be irrelevant because I've been having those issues before the installation of the beta.

The format is old of your network.cfg, please do an update of the newtwork settings in unRAID and look at the network.cfg and try again :-)

//Peter

What do you mean, the format is old? You mean I have to change the network settings?

And in what way should I change that? Thanks.

Just go and save your network settings for unRAID. Then you will see a different format of network.cfg

Wow, it worked! I saved the network settings, and the config file changed. (by saving this, new users, I mean changing the DHCP to manual, then back to automatic)

After restart of the OpenVPN plugin, I was able to access the internet.

Thanks peter_sm!

Oh, and one more thing. How do I know all of my traffic is getting passed through the VPN? I don't want any leaks.

Thanks again!

Just go and save your network settings for unRAID. Then you will see a different format of network.cfg

Wow, it worked! I saved the network settings, and the config file changed. (by saving this, new users, I mean changing the DHCP to manual, then back to automatic)

After restart of the OpenVPN plugin, I was able to access the internet.

Thanks peter_sm!

Oh, and one more thing. How do I know all of my traffic is getting passed through the VPN? I don't want any leaks.

Thanks again!

;D  ;D

About the leaks I don't know, can you do some googling and see if this is a risk for openvpn server ?

About the leaks I don't know, can you do some googling and see if this is a risk for openvpn server ?

Sorry, it seems like we're off track. I also want outside servers (like Google) passed through the OpenVPN link before coming to my device outside.

So sometimes OpenVPN servers only pass through requests for internal network, and just let external network requests through. But I've just run the IP check from my phone running on LTE, and it seems like it's passing through correctly.

Thanks for the help, and the great plugin!

Any ideas why I would suddenly have openvpn just stop working? Nothing has changed except unRaid has updated.

The connection in the open VPN app on any of my iOS devices just spins. Shows bytes going out. But no response. Keeps taking out.

Checked port forwarding for UDP 1194 and it's going to the unraid IP

Checked that open VPN is running. It is.

Rebooted. Nothing

Created a new opvn file. Nothing.

Any ideas ???

**EDIT**

I have rebooted everything.  The OpenVPN logs from my iphone keep showing that not bytes are coming in.  Router has 1194 forwarded, thats the Port in the OpenVPN plugin Server Settings.  This all used to work. I have also removed the entire plugin and tried again to no avail.