OpenVPN Server & Client for unRAID 6.2+ (6.1 are still supported)

peter_sm

Hello, I have installed the client and I am having issues while connecting. I have a working unified ovpn profile and also ovpn/cert/ca - both verified and working. But when I am trying to connect with this Unraid client, the plugin inserts 10 lines saying "dev tap5" to my ovpn profile and that breaks it, so it does not work. Has anybody encountered this problem? You can see part of the ovpn profile below.

##############################################
# Sample client-side OpenVPN 2.0 config file #
dev tap5
# for connecting to multi-client server.     #
dev tap5
#                                            #
# This configuration can be used by multiple #
# clients, however each client should have   #
dev tap5
# its own cert and key files.                #
#                                            #
# On Windows, you might want to rename this  #
# file so it has a .ovpn extension           #
##############################################

# Specify that we are a client and that we
dev tap5
# will be pulling certain config file directives
# from the server.
client
dev tap5

On 10/15/2018 at 7:57 PM, alturismo said:

may a simple question, what would be to change if i want LAN traffic only through VPN ?

whatever redirect option i choose, always complete traffic is through VPN.

for an tip, thanks ahead.

ok, i think i figured it now and seems ok to me, turned redirect off AND set push LAN subnet ON, now its ok i hope.

Does anybody use OpenVPN client plugin (2018.04.26) successfully on 6.6.2? When I press Start button on the OpenVPN client page, the page goes blank only with just a "OpenVPN Client" tab and Unraid menu. Cannot reach OpenVPN client settings page any more. The only way to get control of that page is rebooting Unraid.

Please advise.

Edited by sse450
more info on the issue

Awesome plugin and easy to use, but is it possible to push custom dns servers?

Would love to use my pihole as DNS Server for remote connected clients.

I see the option in the openvpnserver.ovpn, but will it persist, when i change it manually, or would i have to change that over and over again? 

Thanks if someone knows something :)

Awesome plugin and easy to use, but is it possible to push custom dns servers?
Would love to use my pihole as DNS Server for remote connected clients.
I see the option in the openvpnserver.ovpn, but will it persist, when i change it manually, or would i have to change that over and over again? 

Thanks if someone knows something

Hi , it will persist, but if you do an update of settings from plugin it will over write this.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Hi guys, new to Unraid, trying to get the OpenVPN Client to work with a .ovpn file. On the settings its has a option for file but when I click on it its blank and have no options to add one, I tried adding one via FTP into the plugins directory for openvpn client but still no luck.

Any pointers appreciated, I did have a read through the first post and its seems the stuff in red is for the server, I just want to run the client with the ovpn profile.

Many thanks

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LondonDragon said:

Hi guys, new to Unraid, trying to get the OpenVPN Client to work with a .ovpn file. On the settings its has a option for file but when I click on it its blank and have no options to add one, I tried adding one via FTP into the plugins directory for openvpn client but still no luck.

Any pointers appreciated, I did have a read through the first post and its seems the stuff in red is for the server, I just want to run the client with the ovpn profile.

Many thanks

There are info on page one about Client to create a folder for the config files.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:24 PM, peter_sm said:

Hi , it will persist, but if you do an update of settings from plugin it will over write this.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Any way to make this an option? pretty please? :D

So I'm having a situation:

Can't open /mnt/cache/appdata/myVPNserver/easy-rsa/easyrsa3/pki/index.txt.attr for reading, No such file or directory
23225341101888:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:crypto/bio/bss_file.c:74:fopen('/mnt/cache/appdata/myVPNserver/easy-rsa/easyrsa3/pki/index.txt.attr','r')
23225341101888:error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:crypto/bio/bss_file.c:81:
Check that the request matches the signature
Signature ok
The Subject's Distinguished Name is as follows
commonName            :ASN.1 12:'server'
Certificate is to be certified until Oct 22 03:00:00 2021 GMT (1080 days)

stty: 'standard input': Inappropriate ioctl for device

I'm using easy-rsa v3.0.6

Funny thing is I can connect to the server with my iPhone and changing the DNS works, but I can't ping any of my LAN IPs when on a data connection. If I connect to a separate remote Wifi network, everything works as planned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just installed server plugin, and love the ease of use. I am not having any issues connecting to my VPN server, however, I did want to ask if there was a way to create a single-line OVPN file, and have it prompt you for a username and password. I am not sure if there is something that I am overlooking, but did not see it when messing with the settings. Thank you in advance for your assistant, and I really appreciate the plugin.

15 hours ago, pr85 said:

Hi all,

I just installed server plugin, and love the ease of use. I am not having any issues connecting to my VPN server, however, I did want to ask if there was a way to create a single-line OVPN file, and have it prompt you for a username and password. I am not sure if there is something that I am overlooking, but did not see it when messing with the settings. Thank you in advance for your assistant, and I really appreciate the plugin.

You can get one inline file, but without password.

3 hours ago, peter_sm said:

You can get one inline file, but without password.

peter_sm,

Thank you for the response. Is there any update in the works that will enable an inline file to prompt for username and password when connecting? Or do you know of a way to force that within the plugin?

Thanks again!

23 hours ago, pr85 said:

peter_sm,

Thank you for the response. Is there any update in the works that will enable an inline file to prompt for username and password when connecting? Or do you know of a way to force that within the plugin?

Thanks again!

After some additional testing, I noticed the script that gets executed is the following:

spawn ./easyrsa <USER> nopass

I was able to go into the cmd prompt, create my own user using the command above without "nopass", and set a password. The issue with doing it this way, is that you have to create your own .ovpn file, and place that in the clients directory on the root directory for the plugin. Not a huge deal, but was wondering how easy it would be to modify the plugin, to remove the "nopass" option when creating a user.

If needed, I can provide more information on how the process worked, and what I did to manually create my password protected user profile.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do you set up the vpn client? The head post here links to:

More info about Client installation : http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19439.0

However that's a dead link.
Also, the Client configuration file section is just a drop down box with nothing to select.

My goal with this is to set up a reverse vpn for dockers to use.

Edited by Ryonez
51 minutes ago, Ryonez said:

How do you set up the vpn client? The head post here links to:

However that's a dead link.
Also, the Client configuration file section is just a drop down box with nothing to select.

My goal with this is to set up a reverse vpn for dockers to use.

Make a folder called openvpn in the root of your flash drive.

Toss your .ovpn file in there.  Reload the settings page and you'll be able to select it and go from there.

Edited by Squid
34 minutes ago, Squid said:

Toss your .ovpn file in there.  Reload the settings page and you'll be able to select it and go from there.

Thank you, that worked.

Would you be able to tell me what the "Extended Routing:" is for? Will I be able to have dockers/vms use the vpn, but still be able to access their web interfaces?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 9:36 PM, Ryonez said:

Thank you, that worked.

Would you be able to tell me what the "Extended Routing:" is for? Will I be able to have dockers/vms use the vpn, but still be able to access their web interfaces?

yes. you can test it: just get the firefox from the CA. Then go to a page which lists your IP: whatismyipaddress.com

so all traffic will go through this VPN. locally you can still access everything.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:00 PM, Squid said:

can I somehow read those files from my appdata/ssd somehow?

Edited by Aluavin