OpenVPN Server & Client for unRAID 6.2+ (6.1 are still supported)

peter_sm

Bump. This is pretty annoying. I always forget to restart it manually and then I go to work and I cannot access my server... Is there a way to restart it through the cmd? I could then use user.scripts to run that script on array start.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:44 PM, Krzaku said:

Every time I restart my Unraid server, the OpenVPN is unconnectable, I have to restart it manually. These are the logs before the restart:

Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 OpenVPN 2.4.6 x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on May  7 2018
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1b  26 Feb 2019, LZO 2.10
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 Diffie-Hellman initialized with 2048 bit key
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash 'SHA512' for HMAC authentication
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash 'SHA512' for HMAC authentication
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 TUN/TAP TX queue length set to 100
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 do_ifconfig, tt->did_ifconfig_ipv6_setup=0
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 /usr/sbin/ip link set dev tun0 up mtu 1500
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 /usr/sbin/ip addr add dev tun0 10.8.0.1/24 broadcast 10.8.0.255
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol. Using AF_INET
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 Socket Buffers: R=[212992->212992] S=[212992->212992]
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 TCP/UDP: Socket bind failed on local address [AF_INET]172.16.0.10:1194: Cannot assign requested address (errno=99)
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 Exiting due to fatal error
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 Closing TUN/TAP interface
Sat May 11 21:48:26 2019 /usr/sbin/ip addr del dev tun0 10.8.0.1/24

Any idea what this might be about?

Also, a request, can you make it possible to renew the CRL certificate? It expires after a year and it's not that easy to renew manually when you don't know what you're doing. I managed somehow but other people may not.

Hi,

i have to say, you have make a nice plugin, I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not.

i having some issue with the network setting, it work fine for internet tunneling, I setup my unraid server to use 192.168.1.10, i have some of my docker running on 192.168.1.x (custom: br0) and i was not able to access to those docker (cant event ping), but internet is working without issue. i have some other vlan (192.168.11.0/24) where i also having problem accessing too. Do need assistance on that :(

Hi guys dose anyone have a clue as to where the config file for OpenVPN Client on UnRAID is placed? I have tried every directory and every folder.Even restarted UnRAID multiple times during the placement of the file in ton directories......nothing works.some have said place the .ovpn file in root directory of flash /boot/openvpn/(name).ovpn. This dosnt work so I have tried all other places I can think of and nothing works.I have been after this for weeks off and on.ANY HELP WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY APPRECIATED!!!!

1 hour ago, orybrad said:

Hi guys dose anyone have a clue as to where the config file for OpenVPN Client on UnRAID is placed?

You already asked about that plugin in the correct plugin thread. That (nerd tools) was not the correct plugin thread. Please don't clutter up plugin and docker support threads with random questions about other things.

I have split these into the correct plugin thread.

Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but if I am connected to my VPN from my Unraid server, does it route all of the traffic from my server through said VPN including docker traffic?  I see a lot of discussion around reverse proxy setups and I was just wondering what was the necessity to do that if a VPN connection was constantly maintained from Unraid.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I updated my OS last night to the latest version, and when I rebooted the server, It essentially stopped the plugin (was working perfectly before). Can someone please remind me how I can actually start the openvpn server plugin again. The status plugin shows it's not running (been started).

It's probably a simple switch, yet i can't find it!

8 hours ago, baldfox said:

Hey guys, I updated my OS last night to the latest version, and when I rebooted the server, It essentially stopped the plugin (was working perfectly before). Can someone please remind me how I can actually start the openvpn server plugin again. The status plugin shows it's not running (been started).

It's probably a simple switch, yet i can't find it!

Just had to go through the procedure again of setting up the openvpn server plugin from scratch and it's working again. For some reason the most recent upgrade wiped out my previous settings / certs etc. Not sure if that's an intentional safery feature or not, but i had no way of restarting the openvpn server (in the plugin) until I re did the certs and server configs etc... i.e. went through the checklist again.

• 1 month later...

Im using OpenVPN client and every so often my modem reboots and my dockers etc lose internet activity because the OpenVPN client disconnected and shows no WAN IP Address and I have to manually stop/start the plugin to reconnect and regain access.

Is it possible to periodically check the connection status and restart/reconnect if disconnected 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the OpenVPN Client I am getting the following error in log. It was working previously however and no changes were made since setting it up. Not sure if it was before or after updating to unRaid 6.7.2
Ive searched for certificates for the client but have been unable to find any related to openvpn to delete.

Fri Sep 27 14:22:02 2019 OpenVPN 2.4.6 x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on May  7 2018
Fri Sep 27 14:22:02 2019 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1c  28 May 2019, LZO 2.10
Fri Sep 27 14:22:02 2019 OpenSSL: error:140AB18E:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_certificate:ca md too weak
Fri Sep 27 14:22:02 2019 Cannot load inline certificate file
Fri Sep 27 14:22:02 2019 Exiting due to fatal error

I swear I'm getting stupider with age - so... I can't find a boot folder on my flash.  There's one in the /EFI- folder but that's it.  Is that the one that I use? I don't want to throw this whole zip in just any ol' file folder.   

I'm also assuming that's why I can't select a file in the client configuration file section correct?   

On 6/21/2019 at 5:21 PM, orybrad said:

Hi guys dose anyone have a clue as to where the config file for OpenVPN Client on UnRAID is placed? I have tried every directory and every folder.Even restarted UnRAID multiple times during the placement of the file in ton directories......nothing works.some have said place the .ovpn file in root directory of flash /boot/openvpn/(name).ovpn. This dosnt work so I have tried all other places I can think of and nothing works.I have been after this for weeks off and on.ANY HELP WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY APPRECIATED!!!!

If your still looking:

Create a folder in the root of your flash drive called openvpn, then copy your ovpn files into it, they will appear to your client plugin.

Edited by biondogs
On 3/1/2016 at 3:40 PM, randall526 said:

Also if you want to use extended routing, you have to create a webaddress.txt file in the openvpn folder.  it will read this file and create routing table entries for when the VPN starts.  No where in the GUI will it create this file for you or edit it.  Must be done manually.

OMG I have been looking for this all day :) THX

Hey

After reading 35 page and eyes going a bit funny now i'm still lost as to what OpenVPN Client even does. Installed fine, took the ExpressVPN OVPN configs fine and started the VPN creating a TUN5 with a 10.x.x.x IP. Id say 90% of the posts in this thread are about the server plugin not the client plugin. what i wanted to do was replace the VPN connection my router has to ExpressVPN and set certain devices in my network (through DHCP) to point to the Unraid OpenVPN Client as the gateway to pipe their traffic through the VPN.

So please correct me if i'm incorrect.

OpenVPN Client Plugin for Unraid can not be used as a gateway for LAN traffic. I'm guessing it can only be used for Docker traffic and maybe Unraid traffic?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 7:17 PM, tekmobile said:

Im using OpenVPN client and every so often my modem reboots and my dockers etc lose internet activity because the OpenVPN client disconnected and shows no WAN IP Address and I have to manually stop/start the plugin to reconnect and regain access.

Is it possible to periodically check the connection status and restart/reconnect if disconnected 

Is this plugin supported any longer or is there another client like it that people have moved to.  I love using this for it protects my dockers that are running by putting all internet traffic over the OpenVPN server of my provider.  However when the internet goes down, and then comes back up, it will just outright stop working and I need to stop and start my array again. (Can't even get into the GUI of this plugin when it happens.)  I usually only notice the issue has happen when I know a show should have come down and I go and look in Sonnar and sure enough there are a lot things in the waiting queue as it has no internet access.

So, one of two things 1) This needs to be able to check for a good connection every X amount of time and if it does not have one, restart the connection to get it back. (Which would be preferred)  Or 2) Does anyone know of a plug-in or something I can set that will just auto restart this every X minutes so at least it auto restarts and thus reconnects if it was down once a day (or whatever) so at least it will connect back and things can work again.  

I came here looking as it was down for 4 days!!!  

Thanks