unable to stop array per the GUI, and put into maintenance mode

aha!! Progress.  I have it mounted to somedisk, and can see files on the disk now.

I have cleared everything off of disk4, to have room to move everything off of disk9.

I was hoping to format disk4 to XFS before putting anything on it, but I'm not sure how to do that outside of the GUI, and I'm not sure it's a great idea, considering the 'delicate' situation I'm in currently.

If you think it's 'easy' to re-format disk4 to XFS before putting files on it, I'd like to do it, otherwise, I'll just move everything to disk4 from "somedisk", then start worrying about duplicates.

thoughts?

The only thing would be how to copy to disk4.  with the array stopped you could only mount disk4's partition directly bypassing parity, so you would then need to do a new config anyway. 

If you planned to do that anyway, I would just do a new config first re-assign all the disks to the same slots and start it with the valid parity checked.  If the disk9 comes in as valid, it will start reconciling parity based off all the data on the drives.  If it is still unformatted that you can just stop the parity check / array and then copy the data directly and then start a new config.  If disk9 does come online as valid, then you would save the time of copying the data and the array would be up and available during the parity check...

okay, so only COPY the data, not MOVE, right?

No (good) way to format disk4 as XFS before starting is there?

If I could, it would save me from having to move the data off of it again just to format it.

but at this point safety of data is more important than saving time in the future; but if it's easy/possible, now is a better time :)

Okay, I finally got all the files copied over, and have eliminated some of the duplicates.

What is the 'best' way to wipe/kill the unformatted disk9 from the array, then wipe/format the actual hard drive, and add it back to the array as a blank drive, ready for me to move files back to it?

I assume I need to stop the array, select disk9, change the format type to XFS, then restart the array, then hit the format button.

But, I REALLY don't want to cause myself more problems, so I figure I should double-check my thought process before continuing.

thanks.

The only options you have to get that disk put back is either replace the disk ( either the same disk or a new disk) and let it rebuild or start with a new config.  If you start with a new config, you can specify the disk9 as another filesystem type and format it once the array starts.

I'm not sure I understand.  I think, based on how I understand what you've said, that I want to replace the disk with the same disk.  I don't know how to actually do that.  I thought I could do that by doing what I described above, but it seems not.

Effectively, as it sits now, I don't have a disk9 in my array.  It shows unformatted, but all the data that used to be on that disk has been copied to my other disks.

I want to make the array 'forget' that there is a disk9.  Once that's done, and unRAID has no knowledge of disk9, I then want to tell it to add a disk, as an XFS formatted drive, and have the disk show up as blank/empty.

Is that possible?

If not, how do I get there?  If I have to start with a new config, how do I do that?  I don't want to have to set up all my users and shares again, so I'm hoping I don't have to start with a blank unRAID to get to where I want to be.

The new config is not really as bad as it sounds, it doesn't effect the shares or users just your data. :)

The main thing is to know what disk was in what slot so you don't clobber a data drive.  I usually take a screen shot of the main tab so I know what disk serial number was in which slot.

1.  Stop the array.

2.  Under tools, just click on new config, check the are you sure box and click apply.

3.  Add all the disks back to the configuration with the same serial number in the same slot. They should all show auto on the filesystem type, or at least mine did

4.  Click on disk9, and switch the filesystem type to XFS

5.  Start the array

It should bring the array up and start a parity build but the array should be available immediately with all your data, and disk9 should show as unformatted.  Just click the format button, and it should finish creating the new FS on that disk in about 5 minutes or so.  Then in about 12 hours you should be protected..

so, parity is about 65% finished.

Before I started it, there was a checkbox for "Parity is good" or something similar.  I figured that since mine was good, ticking that box was a good idea, so I did, then started the parity check.

Now, in looking at the stats, there are 397176  Sync errors corrected

This seems bad, but I don't really know what I'd do about it.

I assume this is because it still had info about disk9, even though it was unformatted, but still it's disconcerting to see so many "errors".

i guess there's not much I can do about it at this point, other than let it finish.

You should only ever check that box if you have made NO change to the disk assignments.  If any disk has been added/removed or altered then the parity will not be good.

You have a couple of options as I see it.

• Start again from the new config option and this time do not tick the box to say parity is good.  If you go down this route, then an initial parity will be calculated.  When that finished you will want to run a parity check to make sure that the parity that was written can be read back correctly.  That should complete with no errors
  • If you have started a correcting parity check then you could just let it run to completion ignoring errors (of which there will be a lot).  Afterwards you should run a non-correcting parity check and this time no errors should be flagged.

Yeah, I agree with itimpi.  I only use that if I know the parity is pretty close and I know there wont be many updates.

You should be fine, a new config usually kicks off a correcting parity check and it should true up all the incorrect blocks.  As itimpi said, I would kick off another check right after and you should get 0 corrections or there is something else going on...

Thank you both.  It's about 80% done now, and says it will only take 2 more hours, so I'll just let it go, then re-run another one tonight, to confirm there are no more errors.

I figured that since it had 'ignored' disk9, and everything else was done inside unRAID, that parity would be 'right' or pretty close to right.

Live and learn :)