Movies Freezing

G Speed

Are you downloading with SABnzbd or similar while watching your videos?

When I do this, and watch a move, when the download finishes and starts to rebuild/repair, my video playback goes to hell.  I have to either pause the movie, wait for that to finish, then unpause the movie, or set SAB to only unpack from 2am to 6am, so that activity doesn't harm playback.

Also, if I am watching something then I, or someone in the household tries to access something else on the array, which causes a drive to spinup, that will stutter playback also.

this has been pretty consistent on version 5 and 6.  I've seen several other reports of this from other people also.

Are you downloading with SABnzbd or similar while watching your videos?

When I do this, and watch a move, when the download finishes and starts to rebuild/repair, my video playback goes to hell.  I have to either pause the movie, wait for that to finish, then unpause the movie, or set SAB to only unpack from 2am to 6am, so that activity doesn't harm playback.

Also, if I am watching something then I, or someone in the household tries to access something else on the array, which causes a drive to spinup, that will stutter playback also.

this has been pretty consistent on version 5 and 6.  I've seen several other reports of this from other people also.

Sadly no.... sab is running on a different server.

I have nothing at all running on the server..

I have also never a had problem with multiple people accessing a different drive or even the same drive.. to watch a movie or show..

Still happens when I'm the only one accessing/watching a movie..

Okay, that makes more sense.    I thought perhaps you were saying it didn't happen when multiple people were using it ... but what you meant was this didn't use to be a problem, regardless of how many folks were on the server -- but is now an issue.

So the real question is "What has changed ??"    Has ANYTHING been changed other than the version of UnRAID you're using?

Try swapping RAM and/or network card in your unraid server as they are other possible culprits.

Already tested ram all good, network card is built into mobo, but if it was losing connection I would be able to see that in the syslog..

also would be able to see that in my router log.

This has happened before..

Working Fine, Samba version XXX

Next Version of Unraid, New Samba - Issues

Next Version of Unraid, Newer Samba - All good

I wish I could see what my media player was doing...

Try swapping RAM and/or network card in your unraid server as they are other possible culprits.

Already tested ram all good, network card is built into mobo, but if it was losing connection I would be able to see that in the syslog..

You said you were having the same problems when you used a PC instead of a media player, right?

If by testing RAM you mean a default Memtest then that might not be enough as it might not be stressing  the RAM sufficiently.  Do a Memtest with the smp mode enabled.

I had a weird issue where movies were freezing (among other things) and the RAM was passing a normal  Memtest.  I did a SMP Memtest and it got stuck at the point where multiple cpu cores were accessing RAM at the same time. Changed RAM to some sticks that passed a full SMP Memtest and my issues went away.

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone... still having this issue..  had the server off for 40+ days waiting for the next beta..

Well all installed, no plugins.. same issue..

Any ideas?

Log shows nothing when it happens?

I still think it's something to do with this

samba: update to 4.1.11.. from 6.0-beta7

Which is from August 01/14

Where do I go to ask the developers, to upgrade..

08 September 2014 - Samba 4.1.12

20 October 2014 - Samba 4.1.13

01 December 2014 - Samba 4.1.14

I have started having the same problem.

Unfortunately, I can only narrow it down to one of 2 things, it's either WD RED 6TB drives or it's unRAID 5.0.6  they are the only 2 things that are different.  A work around is to set your spin down delay to longer than the movie and spin up the array.

The other work around (which I prefer) is to copy the movie to my HTPC, that way my array is only spun up for 5 minutes or so.

I would bet it is your WD live box. I had exactly the same issue with my PCH-C200. Random freezes with movies. Tried everything network-unraid related, then I plugged in my old PCH-A110 and everything was working again. So now I've sold my C200 and bought a A410. I guess the network card on C200 gave away, as I have completely restored it with FW and the issue was still there.

I have started having the same problem.

Unfortunately, I can only narrow it down to one of 2 things, it's either WD RED 6TB drives or it's unRAID 5.0.6  they are the only 2 things that are different.  A work around is to set your spin down delay to longer than the movie and spin up the array.

The other work around (which I prefer) is to copy the movie to my HTPC, that way my array is only spun up for 5 minutes or so.

I have tried my green's and red's, both do it..

Spin down doesn't matter, because when it freezes drive is still spinning.

I would bet it is your WD live box. I had exactly the same issue with my PCH-C200. Random freezes with movies. Tried everything network-unraid related, then I plugged in my old PCH-A110 and everything was working again. So now I've sold my C200 and bought a A410. I guess the network card on C200 gave away, as I have completely restored it with FW and the issue was still there.

It's the communication between unraid and wd live.. it's the only thing that makes sense..

Considering a flash card with same file, plays without a flaw on the wd live box

Considering, I have been using my qnap box for the past 40 days without a hitch streamin to the wd live box.. which is hooked up to the same switch as the unraid box

It's the communication between unraid and wd live.. it's the only thing that makes sense..

Considering a flash card with same file, plays without a flaw on the wd live box

Considering, I have been using my qnap box for the past 40 days without a hitch streamin to the wd live box.. which is hooked up to the same switch as the unraid box

Ahh, now thats different. My NMT was freezing while streaming from UNRAID and PC, so I knew something was fishy with it. Thats strange indeed, as I am running 5.0.6 with spin-down delay of 15min and everything is working flawlessly.

Ahh, now thats different. My NMT was freezing while streaming from UNRAID and PC, so I knew something was fishy with it. Thats strange indeed, as I am running 5.0.6 with spin-down delay of 15min and everything is working flawlessly.

Older version of samba :P