Disk in parity slot is not biggest

bnevets27

Loaded up a fresh install of beta10 onto my test server and assigned all 6 of my fresh 250GB drives, one being in parity. I can't start the array because it says "Disk in parity slot is not biggest" my parity is equal in size to all of my array disks, why is it complaining?

This isn't of much concern to me as these are just blank disks and just a server I have to test on currently but was wondering if this was some sort of defect.

I suspect that Brit is correct -- one of your drives has a HPA, and is likely a few bytes smaller than the others.    No need to "fix" the HPA -- just assign a different drive as parity.    The exact size of the drives is shown in the drop-down window where you do the assignments ... just be sure the one you select for parity isn't smaller than any of the others.

Syslog attached. I thought HPA was only a gigabyte motherboard issue? I'm using a supermicro motherboard in this server. Upon further investigation, my previous system log did have HPA messages in it. That log was too big so I didn't attach it.

A bit of info I left out of the first post was these are used server drives, they had been wiped but are not new. I went with the assumption something was wrong and ran them through  the seagate tool (they are all actually seagate drives). Ran "Capacity to Max Native" and this was the result:

They don't end in 168 like I've seen mentioned. Also oddly hdparm reports 488390625 but seagate tool reports 488390624. Also interestingly unraid will allow me to assign one drive to parity and one two disk 1 and is happy, as soon as I add any more and it complains the parity isn't the biggest, even though  hdparm reports no other drive having more sectors.

Like I mention this is only a test server and not critial but I would like to know why and would like to have a functioning test server

And here are my assignments: