Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just built a new machine with the following ,

ECS NM70-i

1gb ram

4x3tb hdd

its a mini itx build.

it runs unraid 5.0.5 just fine , soon as i try beta 6 release 10a it blows up with this error.

I see you're using 1gb of RAM. If you're booting with the Xen modules then you might be running out of available memory. From the "splash screen" you might try booting in safe mode without Xen.

ECS NM70-i

1gb ram

4x3tb hdd

its a mini itx build.

it runs unraid 5.0.5 just fine , soon as i try beta 6 release 10a it blows up with this error.

I see you're using 1gb of RAM. If you're booting with the Xen modules then you might be running out of available memory. From the "splash screen" you might try booting in safe mode without Xen.

He has a good point.  1GB of ram is pretty light. That said, we are also working on a boot mode for unRAID 6 that will even further reduce the memory requirements.  Try booting into non Xen mode for us...

ECS NM70-i

1gb ram

4x3tb hdd

its a mini itx build.

i just tried this, made no difference , i even put in  a 4gb stick just to be sure.

thanks

Download

Disclaimer: This is beta software.  While every effort has been made to ensure no data loss, use at your own risk!

If you are running -beta9, or -beta10, you can update via the Plugin Manager by selecting following URL and paste in the Install Extension box (beta9) or Install Plugin box (beta10):

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/limetech/webGui/master/unRAIDServer/unRAIDServer.plg

If you are running beta10 you will see some messages that look like:

Warning: mkdir(): File exists in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/plgMan/plugin on line 146

Those are harmless and eliminated in the release you are downloading.

Sorry about the bugs in -beta10; most were due to my own snafu in creating the actual release...

Summary of changes from 6.0-beta10 to 6.0-beta10a
-------------------------------------------------
- emhttp: get rid of extraneous "closeConnection" messages
- shfs: fix issue preventing new object creation on use_cache=yes shares when cache not present
- plgMan: eliminate extraneous mkdir warning
- plgMan: fix issue where 'update' operation installs wrong symlink
- webGui: eliminate extraneous timezone indicator on DateTime page
- xenMan: restored 'x' bit in event scripts

ECS NM70-i

1gb ram

4x3tb hdd

its a mini itx build.

20140929_182241.jpg

hebergement image

Quick question, did you try to upgrade 5 to 6a without removing your old 5x plugins?

I have this exact same problem when upgrading from 5.0.5 to any of the 6.0 versions. Ended up being the flash drive as I installed 6.0 on a few others and it worked. Which reminds me I need to ask Tom to move that license to one that does work. :)

ECS NM70-i

1gb ram

4x3tb hdd

its a mini itx build.

i just tried this, made no difference , i even put in  a 4gb stick just to be sure.

thanks

Can you try another flash stick just for kicks?

after some serious testing here are my findings,

used 2 new thumb drives , still error.

tested my 4gb stick , it had memory errors.

used another 4gb stick and it booted.

no matter what , safe mode or not reg unraid or xen unraid it will not boot with 1gb ram.

i also used another core 2 system and tested it with 1gb ram with the same error, but booted fine with 2gb.

problem solved , unraid needs more than 1gb ram with beta 6 and on.

I tried to install a new PCIe sata cage today.

The bios finds the card and it list the 2 ssd's correctly but when I boot unRAID I get a list of errors about

Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: ata8.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: ata7.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: ata14.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: ata8.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: ata7.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: ata14.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)

The card is a Syba SD-PEX40044. It's supposed to have a 88SE9128 chipset but lspci gives

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 05)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:16.1 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point MEI Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Lynx Point SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
03:00.0 PCI bridge: ASPEED Technology, Inc. AST1150 PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev 02)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 21)
05:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9123 PCIe SATA 6.0 Gb/s controller (rev 11)

Syslog is attached.

I'm wondering if it's related to this post.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35190.0

Kevin

syslog.zip

I tried to install a new PCIe sata cage today.

The bios finds the card and it list the 2 ssd's correctly but when I boot unRAID I get a list of errors about

The card is a Syba SD-PEX40044. It's supposed to have a 88SE9128 chipset but lspci gives

05:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9123 PCIe SATA 6.0 Gb/s controller (rev 11)

Syslog is attached.

I'm wondering if it's related to this post.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35190.0

Kevin

Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: dmar: DRHD: handling fault status reg 3

Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: dmar: DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [05:00.1] fault addr fff00000

Sep 30 15:55:07 Tower kernel: DMAR:[fault reason 02] Present bit in context entry is clear

Your syslog shows behavior completely consistent with the issue and fix found in that post, with a patch that probably would fix it for you.  The patch also includes a 'quirky ID' section that may also help to properly identify your card.  Further discussion of the issue is here (long).  Patch is here.

In the mean time, disabling VT-d/IOMMU in your BIOS is the current workaround.  I saw mention of adding "iommu=pt" to the command line (the append line in syslinux.cfg) might work also, but someone needs to test.

I've tried to create a cache pool using various instruction on the forum but nothing seems to work.

The webgui will not let have more than 1 slot.

I've tried uninstalling my original cache drive and rebooting but that didn't work either.

Are there any clear instructions to create a pool using 6b10a.

Kevin.

I've tried to create a cache pool using various instruction on the forum but nothing seems to work.

The webgui will not let have more than 1 slot.

I've tried uninstalling my original cache drive and rebooting but that didn't work either.

Are there any clear instructions to create a pool using 6b10a.

Kevin.

How many "slots" are available on your array?  If its set to 24 or 23, you need to lower the # to make it possible to add more cache slots.

after some serious testing here are my findings,

used 2 new thumb drives , still error.

tested my 4gb stick , it had memory errors.

used another 4gb stick and it booted.

no matter what , safe mode or not reg unraid or xen unraid it will not boot with 1gb ram.

i also used another core 2 system and tested it with 1gb ram with the same error, but booted fine with 2gb.

problem solved , unraid needs more than 1gb ram with beta 6 and on.

This will change with a future release.  The bulk of memory consumption in unRAID 6 comes from all the packages required for VMs.  This is NOT an issue with Docker though (Docker itself is about 10MB in size).  In a future release, there will be an "unRAID Lite" boot mode that will be a bzroot stripped of all the VM components.  This will significantly reduce memory required to boot and MAY lower the RAM requirement back to 1GB.  I say MAY because we will need to test the system under stressed conditions to ensure that it holds up at 1GB.

Jonp, is the memory >1BG use only an issue at boot time?  Because I gotta say at rest my unRaid-Xen dom-0 is using 254MB even with cache-dir running.

It shouldn't be an issue at boot time at all.  The root ram FS is < 1GB at boot.

That said, if you have ANY plugins added, that increases it and depending on which ones, it could be a substantial increase.

Also, 254MB?!  That's really really low.  Are you sure?!  Screenshot please?

Jonp, is the memory >1BG use only an issue at boot time?  Because I gotta say at rest my unRaid-Xen dom-0 is using 254MB even with cache-dir running.

It shouldn't be an issue at boot time at all.  The root ram FS is < 1GB at boot.

That said, if you have ANY plugins added, that increases it and depending on which ones, it could be a substantial increase.

Used: 253 ... that is the important one right?

I admit while I say I have cache-dirs running, it is only running against media and backup files not music which is where the real high number of files lies.

memory.png.acd9f52c84b31159b501cc978dd703d3.png

I know it's not a desired question, but ....

On the roadmap for 6.0 is says target date is "Q3 2014" - well we're in Q4 now and looking at the "completed" bubbles on the 6.0 list it seems like we've a way to go.

Do we have an updated target date for 6.0 ?

Just so those of us with new extra drives to add into an array know if it's worth waiting till 6.0 is stable and we can use the drive to shift over to BTRFS on the existing array drives - or if it's far enough off that we have to stick with v5 for now.

On the roadmap for 6.0 is says target date is "Q3 2014" - well we're in Q4 now and looking at the "completed" bubbles on the 6.0 list it seems like we've a way to go.

Just so those of us with new extra drives to add into an array know if it's worth waiting till 6.0 is stable and we can use the drive to shift over to BTRFS on the existing array drives - or if it's far enough off that we have to stick with v5 for now.

Knew this question was going to come up sooner or later ;-).  6.0 is very close to entering RC phase, but RC for 6 will NOT be long.  The majority of the issues with 6 have been resolved and all core functionality of 5.x is now in 6.x.  There are a few things that won't make it into 6.0 but will get bumped to 6.1 potentially (e.g. native support for system notifications).

However, when you say "it looks like we have a ways to go," where are you looking?  Is this where you're looking:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?board=64.0

If so, I actually think that MOST of the remaining open items aren't critical for 6.0 and could be put into 6.1.  Also, a lot of plugins have been ported to 6.x now so for those not willing to wait for "built in" features could still get by that way.

Used: 253 ... that is the important one right?

I admit while I say I have cache-dirs running, it is only running against media and backup files not music which is where the real high number of files lies.

Can you type this in the console?

free -m

Report back with the printout...

Knew this question was going to come up sooner or later ;-).  6.0 is very close to entering RC phase, but RC for 6 will NOT be long.  The majority of the issues with 6 have been resolved and all core functionality of 5.x is now in 6.x.  There are a few things that won't make it into 6.0 but will get bumped to 6.1 potentially (e.g. native support for system notifications).

However, when you say "it looks like we have a ways to go," where are you looking?  Is this where you're looking:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?board=64.0

If so, I actually think that MOST of the remaining open items aren't critical for 6.0 and could be put into 6.1.  Also, a lot of plugins have been ported to 6.x now so for those not willing to wait for "built in" features could still get by that way.

I'm awaiting the RC phase before jumping to 6.0, but I think the roadmap forum combined with the frequent communication between you and Tom has been great and while I can't speak for the entire community I want to thank you guys for the communication toward your users.

I'm awaiting the RC phase before jumping to 6.0, but I think the roadmap forum combined with the frequent communication between you and Tom has been great and while I can't speak for the entire community I want to thank you guys for the communication toward your users.

Thank you for your kind words!! That said, we couldn't do this without all the help from the community.  Good and well written defect reports, willingness to test and report back, and a crack team of super-smart moderators and power users have really helped.

Question had to be asked....

So you are looking to bump features to 6.1?

Looking down the list of those items without green bubbles, we get

• Safe Powerdown
  • Display device SMART data in webgui
  • Modify handling of "Unformatted"
  • Section 508 Compliance
  • Turbo Write
  • System Notifications - Pass 1
  • Include non-virtualization bzroot
  • TRIM Support via Mount
  • UPS Safe Shutdown Support - Pass 1

I'd kind of assume that safe powerdown, handling of "Unformatted", TRIM support, and UPS Safe Shutdown Support were fairly core features for v6.

From your statement, I guess that you are looking for RC within a few weeks? With final at the end of Oct?  ;)