unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta10a-x86_64 Available

limetech

I have recently been getting the following syslog Messages:

Oct  5 07:18:19 Tower emhttp: get_filesystem_status: statfs: /mnt/user/UpsStats app data No such file or directory
Oct  5 07:18:19 Tower emhttp: get_filesystem_status: statfs: /mnt/user/domains No such file or directory
Oct  5 07:18:21 Tower emhttp: get_filesystem_status: statfs: /mnt/user/UpsStats app data No such file or directory
Oct  5 07:18:21 Tower emhttp: get_filesystem_status: statfs: /mnt/user/domains No such file or directory
Oct  5 07:18:24 Tower emhttp: get_filesystem_status: statfs: /mnt/user/UpsStats app data No such file or directory
Oct  5 07:18:24 Tower emhttp: get_filesystem_status: statfs: /mnt/user/domains No such file or directory

I have experimented with Docker but I am not currently running any containers (Crashplan and Couchpotato containers installed but not running.)  When I installed the CrashPlan and Couchpotato containers, I created cache directories called Couch app data and Crash app data to store configuration data.  I also tried to install the Docker container  UpsBoard which installation hung and I aborted. I believe I also may have created a cache directory for this container's config data (UpsBoard app data) which I subsequently deleted after the aborted installation. 

I am running a XEN VM on my cache drive, the VM image is located on my cache drive in a directory called VM.  I recently deleted an old VM image on a cache directory called domains, which directory I also deleted (left over from an earlier installation of a Ubuntu VM posted a while ago in this thread announcing beta 4 on March 28, 2014) I have subsequently rebooted the server.  Any suggestions as to theses error messages?? 

syslog is attached.

syslog.zip

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm having trouble of afpd not being stopped by rc.atalk.

netatalk_stop() {
  for service in "netatalk" "afpd" "cnid_dbd" "cnid_metad"; do
    killall $service 2> /dev/null
  done
}

This code works.

In netatalk 3 they changed some things.  There is now a 'netatalk' control daemon that you kill (meaning send sigkill signal) and it will go and shut down the other daemons in an orderly manner so that the cnid databases don't get corrupted.

If this is a persistent repeatable bug, please post a Defect Report because it makes it easier for us to track than trying to wade through all the posts in this thread.

* The syslog you attached only covers Oct 1 and Oct 2, and the lines in the syslog extract above are not in it, so my comments only apply to the attached syslog.

* Disk 1 has Reiser file system corruption, which caused it to be changed to Read Only.  This appears to have caused /mnt/user0 to be changed to Read Only too, and is the cause for most of the errors logged.  See Check Disk File systems.

* UnMENU crashed on load, and was then restarted.  Unknown as to why, but possibly an older version?  Check for update of UnMENU.  If this doesn't fix, then request support in UnMENU thread.

* Please update Powerdown to the latest.

Thanks, I'll run a run a  reiserfck on that disk.  I didn't realize there was a newer version of powerdowdown.  I installed the latest version of the APCups plugin.  BTW, I think a solved the syslog errors regarding the cache directories.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this question, but: Is there an official Wiki or user guide for v6?  I have never used most of the new features that people are talking about (Xen, Docker) and it would be helpful to have a good overview of what they are and how they work prior to upgrading.  Is Limetech working on documentation for this that is useful to people who aren't willing to dig through forum posts for bits and pieces of information?

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this question, but: Is there an official Wiki or user guide for v6?  I have never used most of the new features that people are talking about (Xen, Docker) and it would be helpful to have a good overview of what they are and how they work prior to upgrading.  Is Limetech working on documentation for this that is useful to people who aren't willing to dig through forum posts for bits and pieces of information?

As far as I know there is no official documentation (yet).  No idea if LT is working producing any.

The best source of information tends to be the stickies at the top of the forum areas dedicated to each of the major new capability areas.

Well it would be helpful to know what aspects of all of this are going to be automated or rolled into the GUI, or whatever.  A quick look at the Docker sticky told me that I'll need to create a Btrfs (had to google what that is) drive, so I searched around and found the non-stickied Btrfs thread in this section of the forum which is 9 pages of people trouble-shooting things that may or may not eventually be fixed when the final v6 is released.

Some indication from Limetech on what is going on with this stuff would be incredibly helpful.

Some indication from Limetech on what is going on with this stuff would be incredibly helpful.

None of the new docker xen btrfs xfs stuff is in the current stable release. That means if you want to start using it, you are going to be participating in the beta releases, which by definition are going to change, sometimes radically, before it's released. Documentation on stuff that will probably look different in the final is a waste of time. I'd rather limetech work on getting the software done before they work on the promised documentation.

If you wish to participate in the open beta, you take it upon yourself to find the information in the threads they are discussed in, and possibly expose your data to risk, and you should be updating to each beta as it is released so you can provide feedback on how it is working for you.

If that doesn't sound appealing to you, you should wait until version 6 is out of beta, at which point there should be documentation posted.

None of the new docker xen btrfs xfs stuff is in the current stable release. That means if you want to start using it, you are going to be participating in the beta releases, which by definition are going to change, sometimes radically, before it's released. Documentation on stuff that will probably look different in the final is a waste of time. I'd rather limetech work on getting the software done before they work on the promised documentation.

If you wish to participate in the open beta, you take it upon yourself to find the information in the threads they are discussed in, and possibly expose your data to risk, and you should be updating to each beta as it is released so you can provide feedback on how it is working for you.

If that doesn't sound appealing to you, you should wait until version 6 is out of beta, at which point there should be documentation posted.

Agreed. For those venturing into the 6.0 beta cycle you are going to need to rely on reading existing forum posts as well as the community to help provide clarity on points of confusion. However... don't think you can just skip the existing forum posts - people are very helpful for those who've invested some time themselves, but no one is going to walk you through setting 6.0 beta up end to end. That will be LT's job once 6.0 is final (and hopefully the wiki/documentation is updated).

Just keep in mind that some of what you learn to do in the beta cycle will likely hold no/minimal relevance once we hit RTM as a number of things could change, get dropped, or get automated.

Yes, thank you.  I understand that v6 is still in beta.  However, even running v5 it feels like 99% of the time I need an answer for something the Wiki is fairly useless and I need to resort to scanning through dozens of forum threads.  It would be nice to have some confirmation that Limetech is aware that they need to improve their support/guides/wikis/etc.

It would be nice to have some confirmation that Limetech is aware that they need to improve their support/guides/wikis/etc.

They have stated multiple times in the forum that one of their goals for the V6 development cycle is improved documentation. Unfortunately that means V5 probably isn't going to get much attention, but as soon as V6 is final, we should see results. Time will tell.

It would be nice to have some confirmation that Limetech is aware that they need to improve their support/guides/wikis/etc.

They have stated multiple times in the forum that one of their goals for the V6 development cycle is improved documentation. Unfortunately that means V5 probably isn't going to get much attention, but as soon as V6 is final, we should see results. Time will tell.

That sounds like a great thing for them to post on the blog, rather than burying it in the form.

We're on the same side here (I do love UnRAID and I hope it continues to grow and improve) but the developers seem to be rather ham-fisted when it comes to everything outside of the actual coding & development.  They've made 9 posts on the blog in the last year or so-- I'm sure they could write a great "Hopes & Dreams for v6" post that gets people excited for the upcoming release.

That sounds like a great thing for them to post on the blog, rather than burying it in the form.

We're on the same side here (I do love UnRAID and I hope it continues to grow and improve) but the developers seem to be rather ham-fisted when it comes to everything outside of the actual coding & development.  They've made 9 posts on the blog in the last year or so-- I'm sure they could write a great "Hopes & Dreams for v6" post that gets people excited for the upcoming release.

I think a lot of us would agree that historically LT has sucked at documentation. It's the boring stuff that techie people usually hate doing. For instance, the hardware compatibility page is so out of date it's not even funny. However, I think this has been brought up to LT enough times that it's on their radar to fix, and with the extra manpower added in the last 12 months they will hopefully be able to dedicate the time needed to update this once 6.0 is released.

Solid documentation is a key cornerstone of a mature product, and if LT wants to broaden their potential userbase they need to address this. Especially with all the new technology changes in 6.0 - it's just going to scare new customers away unless there are clear steps to follow to set the environment up properly.

If LT wants to get UnRAID more into the mainstream this is going to be critical - we just need to give them some time to get this fixed, and it's only after 6.0 RTMs that is makes sense.

What decided me to buy a licence was the wonderful support of unraid community!!! A big Thank you to all of you!!!  :-*

I don't quite follow that logic. Its not as if the license money goes directly towards the community.

True, but I am going to guess his point is that he was confident that any gaps in vendor supplied documentation are usually quickly address by the active community. Everyone is pretty quick to jump in and offer help if there's a stumbling block for a user. I'd consider that a good reason to invest in a product too if I was choosing between a few options.

bkastner is right. I also had some questions ask at tom directly by email, and He answered all of them in less than 24h... and Unraid is the only NAS that allow to wake up only one drive and not the entire array. (less power consumption and increase of hdd lifespan). The only feature missing natively is the S3 suspend support.

bkastner is right. I also had some questions ask at tom directly by email, and He answered all of them in less than 24h... and Unraid is the only NAS that allow to wake up only one drive and not the entire array. (less power consumption and increase of hdd lifespan). The only feature missing natively is the S3 suspend support.

Unraid is the only NAS that can be nuked from orbit, and can take out the HDs and pop them into just about any x86 platform with enough sata connectors, and it start working again.

Oh your 3 year old Synology chucked a main board, that sucks, wish we still made that model...

What decided me to buy a licence was the wonderful support of unraid community!!! A big Thank you to all of you!!!  :-*

I don't quite follow that logic. Its not as if the license money goes directly towards the community.

How do you think the forum's basic services are paid for?

Presence and Traffic are costs we don't really see, yet the service itself has to be funded somehow.

Kudos for the support Sensei73.

"Deprecated" maybe?

That being said, is it safe to remove everything that shows up down there, without having any issues on a reboot?

Totally reasonable request (on the plugin prompt to remove). We are aware of the bug with "stale" plugins.  The other half is that the idea of "stale" is a little confusing in and of itself. We will address.

Maybe "Updated" instead of "stale"?

Errrrmmm ... "Superseded"?

Before I updated to 10a, version 10 showed I only had one single plugin (unRAID Server OS).  After upgrading to 10a the old docker manager plugin seems to have "come back" and says it's out of date.  Should I update it or delete it?

It means the 'docker manager' plugin on the limetech github is newer than what came with the release.  Sure you should upgrade.

Strange mishap causes the disk 4 tell me that he was not format. Parity disk and suddenly get a message that he was not identified. I added the log file. Please help.

The syslog suggest that disk4 has dropped offline for some reason.  Could be problems with SATA/Power cables or an actual problem with the disk.

A disk showing as 'unformatted' does not necessarily mean that it is unformatted - it can just mean that if failed to mount.  Do not try and format it unless you are happy to lose any data that it contains.  If there have been any write failures to the disk then the file system may have been corrupted (and hence the mount failure and the unformatted status reported), but as long as the disk is physically healthy one can normally recover from this by using the appropriate tools.

At this point I would suggest

• Close down the server and check all connections and then restart it.
  • If you have a console attached to the unRAID server, then check that all disks are seen by the BIOS during the boot process.  unRAID cannot use any disk that reports issues at the BIOS level.
  • Obtain a SMART report for the disk that is showing issues, and post results here.  This will help identify if the disk looks healthy.
  • Get new syslog after reboot and post here.
  • If there are still problems, post screenshot of the Main tab from the unRAID GUI so we can see what you are seeing from an unRAID perspective.