wondering if it exists?

sacretagent

Hi guys,

moving soon to my new home and i was wanting to make some changes to my setup but without spending too much money

for the moment i have a w7 desktop and 1 unraid (TVRAID in my sig) running 24/7 and would like to reduce that to one machine

i know already some of you guys going to say replace your hdd with 4 or 6TB ones and only use one unraid server but that is simply to costly for the moment ... would also need new case for that

and  waf would be around zero LOL

so basically what i was thinking is to use a server i got for free (dl380 g8 with 2 x Xeons and 32 GB of ram) as the workhorse in the setup

to run all applications, so that during the night i can shut down my 2 unraid servers and my desktop

and use the 2 unraid servers for what they were meant to be without any other fuss.... the current setups have no processor power to much as i am running them already to the max (specs see sig)

the dl380 would be running plex / sickbeard/ sabnzbd/ couchpotato / headphones / lazylibrarian and whatever else i would need

he would download things which i would like to move to my unraids like every day at noon and 19.00 hours

i would also like to run some vpn software on the dl380 so i can get rid of hamachi since this server has 4 x 1gb nics

now what i am unclear about is what OS i should run ... LOL

i am reasonably versed in linux with unraid and ubuntu / debian / rhel and there is windows LOL

i was thinking/hoping there was some special version of a distro that would maybe make things easier

something that would automount unraid shares

something with vpn software build in

something that would make rsync easy

something that would check the unraid boxes if they were up or down to mount the shares

something with a GUI lol

but i guess i am dreaming here .. hoping for the easy way out without all the hassle

i know if i install ubuntu desktop on the dl380 that i can apt-get everything above here but every time i ran some setup outside of unraid (tried Xen for a month or two)  i always get into issues it seems with mounting shares

i tried over time nfs and smb shares and there is always some hassle it seems ...  never tried this automount yet though so that might improve things....

but still anybody running something similar?

what os are you running? any advice on this automount thing? (autofs)

i know windows can run all above programs and with gui but i seem to worry about auto syncing things to the unraid servers from a windows machine .... there doesn't seem to be a real good program out there to do that ?

been using freefilesync now for a while now to move things from my w7 desktop to bitcasa.... but that is not really automatic .... i mean it will not autosync at noon and 19:00....

so i am kind of looking for ideas .... any suggestions welcome but like i said upgrading unraid hardware and selling the dl380 is not an option ....

need to work with the things i have ..... and i would continue running like i am now, but i am really abusing this i5-760 cpu already with all i am running in dockers

so  adding a torrent client to this unraid would not be possible so i still need my desktop to run 24/7 too

Unless you have need for two unRAID arrays (e.g. one to backup the other), I would want to consolidate everything into one array.  I know you can't right now - but that's what I would want to do.  That said, if you leverage your unRAID experience and build out the dl380 using unRAID (along with some scripting to move files), what gaps do you have?  That way you're taking the first steps towards building the dl380 as your main server.