replace hdd to smaller one?

No.

But from your description, the drive hasn't actually failed, but is just showing SMART issues so you want to proactively replace it.

If you want to just use your current 1TB drive, just do the following ...

(a)  Run a correcting parity check to ensure the array is healthy (no errors and no sync errors).  If any sync errors were found, repeat the check to ensure all is well on the second test.

(b)  Do a New Config, and assign your 1TB drive in the place of the 2TB drive (removing the 2TB drive from the system).    Let the system do a parity sync; then do a parity check to confirm all is well.

©  Attach the removed 2TB drive to a PC, and install the free LinuxReader so you can read the files.  [ http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ ].    Then just copy all of those files to your UnRAID array over the network -- you can copy them to the 1TB drive if you want, or just to the appropriate shares if you don't care where they're placed.

i understand the limit but i am deliberately want hdd not larger than 1T

i prefer adding more hdds than have big hdds bigger hdd failure=bigger data hazard

as u can see in the attached jpg the parity is 2t and the other 2t that i want to replace

i have more 1t hdd coming soon so i can add them

unraid.gif.93ace2911b7b82b7deac8945fbb801c5.gif

u mean i should replace the disks and do new configuration so the parity hdd is rebuilt than restore data from backup ?

thanks

If after you do a new config and then add disks that have previously been used by unRAID the data already present will be recognised and be ready for use when you start the array.  Disks that are not recognized as unRAID data disks will show as unformatted when you start the array and the option to format them (clearing any existing data) will be available.

u mean i should replace the disks and do new configuration so the parity hdd is rebuilt than restore data from backup ?

thanks

You'll only need to restore the data from the 2TB drive you don't want to include in the array.  The data from the other drives will still be there in the new configuration.

I'd reconsider limiting yourself to such small (by today's standards) drives, however.    As long as you've got your data backed up, it doesn't really matter what size drives you're using ... and since the array is fault tolerant, you won't lose anything unless 2 drives fail at the same time.