[SOLVED] Unable to Get a Clean Shutdown or Reboot

I thought the first time it was because I did not shut down Plex docker before trying to stop the array but today I did stop Plex and still got the "Retrying... retrying..." when stopping array which never is able to complete. Power button shutdown from there results in 8 hour parity check. Really difficult to troubleshoot other issues if there is an 8 hour wait between steps.

drive config: 1 cache, 1 parity, 13 data

dockers: Plex

add-ons via unMenu: smtp mail, monthly parity, daily status, & Powerdown (installed just now, have not tested - btw, Powerdown shows twice in Pkg manager)

ps: problem predated add-on installs so I don't think they are involved.

Powerdown should only show once.  Remove both instances of the plugin and re-install.

A good test to see what is not stopping is to get the powerdown plugin installed properly.  Be sure you have version 2.11.  And then log into the server and type 'powerdown -r'.  This will re-boot the server and save the log.  You can then look at the log on the flash drive and you'll see what process is still running.  Post the log and I can review it for you if it's not obvious what is holding up the unmounting of the drives.  This will probably result in an unclean shutdown and a parity check, but you'll be able to see what is not allowing the unmount.

EDIT: Don't use the unMenu powerdown.  Use the latest plugin here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31735.0

trying to stop the array again and it hangs with:

"Stop AVAHI...Stop SMB...Spinning up all drives...Sync filesystems...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)...Retry unmounting user share(s)..."

will try powerdown to get it cleared again but really need to be able to stop the array :P

latest log attached

syslog-20141003-130831.txt

I see an issue with your user shares /mnt/user.

Try this:  Shut down the array from the webgui and go to a terminal and type "/etc/rc.d/rc.docker stop" and see if the webgui finally unmounts the drives.  If so docker is holding up the unmounting.  If not I recommend you remove all the stuff you have running and put things back one at a time and see what is causing the problem.

The good news is that powerdown lets the array shut down cleanly.

Try this:  Shut down the array from the webgui and go to a terminal and type "/etc/rc.d/rc.docker stop" and see if the webgui finally unmounts the drives.  If so docker is holding up the unmounting.  If not I recommend you remove all the stuff you have running and put things back one at a time and see what is causing the problem.

with fresh Plex docker installed (nothing more than install using defaults done), tried to stop the array with it running, it hangs as before. Ran your command "/etc/rc.d/rc.docker stop" at console (have kvm connected to both towers), it returned to the prompt with no message. WebGUI still hung...

with fresh Plex docker installed (nothing more than install using defaults done), tried to stop the array with it running, it hangs as before. Ran your command "/etc/rc.d/rc.docker stop" at console (have kvm connected to both towers), it returned to the prompt with no message. WebGUI still hung...

Run it before you try to shut down using the webgui.  Will probably work just fine.  The issue is that docker needs to stop before the shares are stopped.

Run it before you try to shut down using the webgui.  Will probably work just fine.  The issue is that docker needs to stop before the shares are stopped.

did not work. The docker is not starting up on its own when I boot. With it not running, I can stop the array. I can only start the docker by refreshing the settings (normal "start" button has no effect) essentially resetting it I believe. Once it is running, I did your command via telnet got message that it shut down but webgui still hangs when I try and stop the array. Will Powerdown and post new log.

error on console screen...

Error response from daemon: Cannot start container PlexMediaServer : setup mount namespace bind mounts stat /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver : no such file or directory

2014/10/03 13:45:13 Error:P failed to start one or more containers

Now you've narrowed it down to docker as the offender.  Check your appdata share.  Something is amiss there.  Looks like it is missing or has a permission problem.